***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

CCTV help please!

Start a Topic! Have Your Say & Talk About Anything.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

CCTV help please!

Postby Lancer1993 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:35 pm

So recently got a wireless CCTV on eBay for less than $70, works good. I can pan and tilt the camera from my phone anywhere I am.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/360-Wireles ... 2749.l2649

Today I got a 10m power lead for it to make a better install, its a 5.5mm 2.5mm pin which is the right spec for this camera.
Looks like this...

Plugged it in and got no power to the camera, checked connections and nothing.

So then tested the lead on another device (speaker 15v 2a, different power supply) and it works so its not the lead.

I plugged the power supply (12v 2a) back into the camera and it works so I don't know what is going on. I even tested a 2nd power supply (US plug with adaptor) and again no power to the camera with the 10m lead. Double checked all the connections and nothing.

Could the 10m lead be loosing power or something?

Works with the speakers on 15v 2a but not the camera 12v 2a.
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Re: CCTV help please!

Postby bumblebee » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:14 pm

Welcome to the world of electronics.
A DMM will come in handy right about now.
The 10 meters cable will no doubt have power loss over it.
The power supply driving it may not be the best either.
The voltage / amperage drop over the 10eter cable could be enough to stop the camera working.
The cable could still be the issue.
Depending on how it's wired up. As a general rule of thumb the centre tip is positive.
However
This is not always the case.

Have you got a shorter cable to test it with?
Got an Aussie transforer to plug it into rather then use the USA one and adaptor.
The USA plugs and adaptor I would avoid like the plague.
Seen too many of them go up in smoke cos the quality isn't there here in Australia.

VRXblack
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby VRXblack » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:40 am

Yeah i think bumblebee is right. There may be some sort of loss happening at some point especially with longer cables. Best bet would be to see exactly how far you need the cable to be and head to Jaycar and have a quick talk with em (most of them know what they are talking about). I'm going to assume that the cable you have is an ebay one? Those ones are usually poor quality and probably just not enough to power the camera. Almost certain if you head to jaycar they will sell you one that is a 2.5A which might be what you need instead.

Had a similar issue here at work, bought some devices that were only available in America so bought 1, went to jaycar to get some AU plugs they recommended and worked perfectly! Next thing you know we put through an order for another 10 along with the AU plugs and they have skipped a beat for the last 3 years.
Black 2010 VRX Lancer

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:32 am

You could go nuts and get a much higher amperage power pack
If it needs 12 v 2 amp
You can feed it 12 v 600 amp off car battery
It won't blow.up
However
If you feed it 20v at 600 amp
That's when you will see smoke

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:45 pm

The camera came with a US power supply, got a AU one and yes that works without the ext lead, 12v 2a.
Haven't got another lead the centre pin is + and 2.5mm with the outside 5.5mm. I tired a power supply from a HDD but it must have a 2.1mm pin as it just would not plug in.

Went to JayCar but apart from telling me the centre pin was 2.5 and 2.1 (which I wrongly assumed) so lucky I didn't buy the wrong one to start with. I didn't want to get a higher amp but if that is needed to fix the power loss I might have to.

As it stands now I have a power lead running to the camera just inside the garage, it works even if its not the prettiest of solutions, might tidy it up on the weekend if I can't get the other to work. I'll check JayCar again but I don't want to spend money on another one just to have it not working. Annoyingly I have another power supply but its 15v, for the speaker so will probably harm the camera.

I really wish this camera have a 5v USB power supply like the tiny indoor ones I got on eBay, any USB power and they work.

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:31 pm

Higher amperage won't harm anything.
Higher voltage will absolutely do damage.

If you have a 600amp 12 car battery and connect a 2.5 amp 12 volt camera so long as you get the polarity of the cables correct , the camera will work.
It will only draw the needed 2.5 amps to run and no more.
Unless there is a massive internals short circt and that's when you hope there is a fuse on the device.
If you connect the camera to a 12 volt supply with only half an amp or 500 milliamps of current , good chance the camera will not power up.
Don't put the 15 volt supply near the 12v camera unless you wish to see the smoke detector to go off.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:29 pm

Yeah wasn't planning on using the wrong voltage, I know that much.

Return to “General Talk”