***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Hydrolock

Start a Topic! Have Your Say & Talk About Anything.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Adazol1
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Hydrolock

Postby Adazol1 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:46 pm

Hi Im new here.

After two years of running with a cai, my luck run out. i hit a giant puddle, didn't see it. Cuz it didn't stalled and it ran okay I said im good but after a while hear a noise; stop the car and yup its knocking. towed the car home. Gonna check later.

The questions i have if have to buy engine internals i was thinking in upgrading. i was thinking asking in forums and you guys can share some knowledge and tips

I will gladly hear you opinions

Thanks

Abdullatif
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Re: Hydrolock

Postby Abdullatif » Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:42 pm

Adazol1 wrote:Hi Im new here.

After two years of running with a cai, my luck run out. i hit a giant puddle, didn't see it. Cuz it didn't stalled and it ran okay I said im good but after a while hear a noise; stop the car and yup its knocking. towed the car home. Gonna check later.

The questions i have if have to buy engine internals i was thinking in upgrading. i was thinking asking in forums and you guys can share some knowledge and tips

I will gladly hear you opinions

Thanks

I'm sorry to hear that brother.... can you please give us your car specs

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:59 pm

Before upgrading the motor
Have a chat to a wrecking yard and see if they have a motor the same as yours
You may find its far more cost effective tand far less stress to just get another motor the same and swap it out

Adazol1
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby Adazol1 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:18 pm

@Abdullatif

Its a normal 4b11 2.0L engine

@bumblebee
Yeah thats a good idea too. i saw a new 4b11T on ebay at 5k so imagine a normal 4b11 wont be that expensive

Will update this post after i drain the oil take the spark plugs and see if i can get the water out. never done this tho only got the idea

Abdullatif
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Abdullatif » Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:43 pm

bumblebee wrote:Before upgrading the motor
Have a chat to a wrecking yard and see if they have a motor the same as yours
You may find its far more cost effective tand far less stress to just get another motor the same and swap it out

Agree, and also try to search for a solution in the sake of saving money... if you are planning and you got the money to swap engines or buy internals, then just take your time until you find something in a good condition and will last for the long term.

Abdullatif
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Abdullatif » Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:46 pm

If you are thinking of upgrading the internals, I think you will have to order custom ones, but I will advise you to keep searching and take your time!!

Adazol1
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby Adazol1 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:11 am

Update
no water in trodle body and clean oil in dipstick. In process in taking spark plugs out. Need a 16mm socket.

Question do any of you guys know which is the fuel pump relay in our cars?

Scratch that got the engine running sounds good no knocking notices. Now I changed the oil just make sure everything is okay but I get a knock on start up but then goes away.

What now?

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:16 am

Glad to hear it's not hydrolocked
I had my doubt it was hydrolocked in the first place
A motor that is hydrolocked the motor won't turn over at all.
Feel free to fireup YouTube and watch some people pour water down the inlet manifold while the motor is running and watch what happens.
Take a good look at how much water it takes to make a motor hydrolock. It takes.a hell of a lot more then just just a puddle of water to hydrolock a motor.
Putting water down the neck.of an inlet manifold has been round for years. Feel free to google water injection system. An old trick was to replace the water with methanol get a bit more bang out of it. Lol.

He knock could be any number of things.
If I were you I would urge you to take the car to a decent local mechanic and get them to look over it

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:52 am

Many years ago my CC coupe decided to have a drink (long story) but basically it was missing part of the air intake and on the CC its inside the right guard/bumper. So it was scooping up air much lower than it should, went through a little water, maybe 15cm and the splash back... well $5k and 2 months to fix under insurance. I still had to pay some $2k of that because of mechanical depreciation.

This was long before I was on forums like this, and if I'd known half what I know now I probably would have skipped the insurance and got a good used 4G93 at a wreckers, or even the GSR version with twincam (grand daddy of the EVO). Ironically years later I got my hands on the engine out of a M21, same as the GSR but without the turbo. Never got around to using it before selling the coupe.

Good to hear it might not be water inside the cylinders in your case. Maybe an electrical issue due to the water?
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

Adazol1
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby Adazol1 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:58 am

Update:

Ran it a bit today. It’s revs through the gears good until the 5th can get pass the 2k RPM it’s a strugg le around 50mph. Also sometimes in idle it’s raddles something under engine my guess. I’m thinking the worse. Down a cilender.

I stop the car. update as soon I can find a good mechanic like suggested

To bad about your cc coupe engine guy above

Thanks for the replies

Forgot there no check engine light either

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:04 am

Interesting how it runs thru all gears except #5 ok

The quicker you get a decent local mechanic to look at it the better

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:34 pm

Is it okay under hard acceleration?

On the coupe I was having an issue once, fine at all speeds but not under heavy acceleration. There were sounds and vibrations, it turned out to be the CV joints.
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

Adazol1
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby Adazol1 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:19 am

:D

Good news a mechanic friend said it wasn’t the motor didn’t hear any bad noise around the engine told me is under the car check the muffler.

Went to a muffler shop. Turns out, the sound was from the heat shield that was bent and it was touching the muffler.

What I learned from this never asume things

Ran the car under heavy acceleration no problems.

Thanks for the tips and advice

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:07 am

Adazol1 wrote:
What I learned from this never asume things

Absolutely 110% agreement with this statement

Sadly there is far too many people who make far too many assumptions and then come unstuck real badly cos they have NFI WTF they are on about in the first place.

I'm over the moon the car is all fixed up and working nicely again, and thanks so much for getting back to us and keeping us updated.

Abdullatif
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Abdullatif » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:02 am

I'm happy for you brother!! months ago while i was driving i heard some noise underneath the car and it was exhaust shield.... i removed it lmao

Return to “General Talk”