***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Checks prior to a long drive

Start a Topic! Have Your Say & Talk About Anything.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

VRXblack
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Checks prior to a long drive

Postby VRXblack » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:42 am

Hey guys
Was wondering if you can give me some advice. This weekend im heading away for a few days and its gonna be the first time im taking my lancer for a long drive. Just wanted some advice if there is anything i should check prior to leaving tomorrow.
I've had by tyres recently (3 weeks ago) rotated, balanced and aligned. Had them also quickly check my brakes as well and everything was good.
I do regularly check my oil levels and coolant levels (but will check again when i get home tonight). I did also take my car out yesterday in Adelaide hottest day on record and had no issues at all.

Apart from checking my lights and brakes lights are working fine later tonight, is there anything else i should be checking?
Black 2010 VRX Lancer

lancerdarryl
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Re: Checks prior to a long drive

Postby lancerdarryl » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:01 am

Got it all covered I’d say whip out the cabin filter and have a look at it. Safe travels.
Evolution X MR+ Lancer VRX Sportback +LA Lancer GSR
"Don't back off until you hit something"

burfadel
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby burfadel » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:40 pm

Agree about the cabin filter. Sounds like you're mostly covered.
I might add a pic of my car once I style the exterior a bit :).

wallaw819
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby wallaw819 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:49 pm

Might want to take a look at the accessories belt or carry 1 spare for emergency.
Enjoy your trip.
Back to enjoying the row-yourself-transmission after 20 years of auto.

VRXblack
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby VRXblack » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:51 pm

Oh yeah the cabin filter, haven't checked that in a while. Might also do quick check on the belt as well.
Thanks guys much appreciated!!!
Black 2010 VRX Lancer

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:05 pm

When was the last time you checked the air in the spare tyre?

Keep some spare fuses in the glove box.
Keep a first aid kit in the boot.
Grab a 24pack of water bottles about 375ml or so from Coles or Woolies will cost about $8. These can.come in handy

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:40 pm

Did a 10,000 km trip back in May/June which included crossing the Nullarbor, it was winter so kinder for the car than the 40plus temps some part of the country is having now.

I did most of the things here, was considering a drive belt but the only advantage there is if you know how to fit it, but it could also save time even if you can't as when road side assistance comes you'll not have to wait for them to order the part. BUT the reality is unless you're going to very remote places its probably not needed. Years ago I got them for a different car and never used them, I guess if you do get it then best option is next service where its due you can save a few dollars on parts and make use of it.

WATER - we carried about 6x 1.5lt bottles of water for general use, filling them up nightly. Its amazing how much you go through just drinking ask you go along. Didn't drink from them, used them to top up a smaller bottle with pop-top, much safer than unscrewing a cap!

CHECKS - probably checked the oil and stuff maybe 2-3 times in the almost 4 weeks we were away, I think unless you think there is an issues its probably okay, also remember this was winter.

TOOLS - debated what to take, ended up taking my good tool box on top of the tool bag in the car, again never needed it. Apart from some minor repairs to the front grill when a small bird hit it at 110kph. No lasting damage.

Have a good trip and lots of fun driving the CJ!
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

Return to “General Talk”