***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

rust on a new gsr.....

Start a Topic! Have Your Say & Talk About Anything.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

dorzy17
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

rust on a new gsr.....

Postby dorzy17 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:15 pm

so today when i was washing my car i notice some rust and believe me i wasnt happen. I brought this car back in june 2017 and im quiet annoyed as i love my car. i also saw some yellow tint on the bottom of my back door from the inside and i never really open this door as this car is mostly for me going to work and back. I was wondering if anyone else had this problem or is it just me...

gfdgsfgsfgsfsdf

only tiny but still is rust

not sure if you can see but abit of a yellow tint.

Shaun Patterson
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Re: rust on a new gsr.....

Postby Shaun Patterson » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:36 pm

its no fault of the car, if there is exposed metal its going to rust

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:00 pm

If it is rust it can be cleaned back with a razor blade. Wiped clean eith metho and use some touch up paint to put a small dab of paint over it.

Have a chat to these guys

https://touchupguys.com.au/

Give them thr paint code to your lancer.from memory it is on the drivers side door.open it ip and its on the pillar.if not try the passenger door piller.
They will make you up a small bottle of paint in 2pack paint same as what the car paint is.
Not everyone does that. Others try and sell you acrylic paint. Don't buy the acrylic paint

Shaun Patterson
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Shaun Patterson » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:10 pm

bumblebee wrote:If it is rust it can be cleaned back with a razor blade. Wiped clean eith metho and use some touch up paint to put a small dab of paint over it.

Give them thr paint code to your lancer.from memory it is on the drivers side door.open it ip and its on the pillar.if not try the passenger door piller.
They will make you up a small bottle of paint in 2pack paint same as what the car paint is.
Not everyone does that. Others try and sell you acrylic paint. Don't buy the acrylic paint

no paint in a little bottle is 2K paint, a pack needs a hardener, most are jsut a laquer

dorzy17
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby dorzy17 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:32 pm

Shaun Patterson wrote:its no fault of the car, if there is exposed metal its going to rust

you would be 100% correct if this was 1960 but now its 2018 and when they are getting the car ready for paint they cover the shell body with zinc thats suppose to stop getting rust if you get a stone chip. (i know a little bit about this topic since im currently studying spray painting)

himynameisdaniel
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby himynameisdaniel » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:33 pm

Also factory paint is incredibly thin.
Very cheap on Mitsubishi's part.
K+N drop in
RA intake
SS 4-2-1 Headers
Whiteline Strut Brace
Whiteline Rear Sway Bar
SuperPro Polyurethane Bushings
Paddle Shifters

Merlinised

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:11 pm

I was very disappointed with the paint work on my 09 VRX, runs in some places and other imperfections.
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:47 am

Shaun Patterson wrote:
bumblebee wrote:If it is rust it can be cleaned back with a razor blade. Wiped clean eith metho and use some touch up paint to put a small dab of paint over it.

no paint in a little bottle is 2K paint, a pack needs a hardener, most are jsut a laquer

Im only going off what i was told by the guy who made it for me.
Im pretty sure it is 2pack as when i did a few little touch up spots i used a bit to much and it turned into a big blob. And 45 mins or so later it had sucked itself back down to the paint work and looked like it was meant to be there.
Never seen acrylic paint do that.

sarusa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby sarusa » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:13 am

If its surface rust the above info to scrape the loose rust of and paint is right, although it wouldn't hurt to put a dab of Killrust on it before painting.

However if its rust coming to the surface from the other side. You have a real problem. Get something pointy and press it on the rust spot.
no need to be brutal just gently. If it goes through your unlucky!!?? Warranty should fix it, if your the first owner of the car, as
I was told Mitsubishi new car warranty is not transferable. Which would also mean no warranty on pre registered demo:!?!!??

Contrary to above, I have reason to believe warranty could be transferable, contrary to previous advice
Intend making sure of this! :?

sarusa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby sarusa » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:18 am

checked on internet Mitsubishi Australia warranty.

ll Manufacturer’s Warranties are transferred with vehicle ownership. You should check the Service
Record in the Service and Warranty booklet to confirm that all services have been performed at the
required intervals. If you have any doubt regarding the service history, you should contact a Mitsubishi
Dealer Service Centre and make an appointment to have the vehicle inspected to ensure that all
servicing requirements have been completed. You should also advise MMAL that you have taken
ownership of the vehicle by completing and returning the Notice of Change of Address or Ownership in
the back of the Service and Warranty booklet.

Check out the full warranty on the internet under:- Mitsubishi Australia new car warranty

Mooman
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Mooman » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:33 am

5 year warranty is only for perforation corrosion, not surface rust. Stone chips etc. that get through the paint and primer undercoat will show up as rust spots, my car front end is full of such spots.

As it's only surface rust as others have said it's easy enough to treat the rust then paint over. Unfortunately stone chips and scratches are just all part of car ownership, no matter how careful you are eventually the paint will be damaged. Just sucks when it happens early on in the ownership.

sarusa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby sarusa » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:56 am

yes that's why I suggested checking for perforation. Amazing how many things aren't covered ie:injectors for instance.
makes you wonder if pistons are covered or are they also subject to wear and tare! haha hmmm 10 years warranty on drivetrain.!!??

Shaun Patterson
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Shaun Patterson » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:04 pm

himynameisdaniel wrote:Also factory paint is incredibly thin.
Very cheap on Mitsubishi's part.

i am a spray painter, not everyone uses this process, and the zinc coating can strip off with the paint aswell

Shaun Patterson
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Shaun Patterson » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:39 pm

sarusa wrote:If its surface rust the above info to scrape the loose rust of and paint is right, although it wouldn't hurt to put a dab of Killrust on it before painting.

However if its rust coming to the surface from the other side. You have a real problem. Get something pointy and press it on the rust spot.
no need to be brutal just gently. If it goes through your unlucky!!?? Warranty should fix it, if your the first owner of the car, as
I was told Mitsubishi new car warranty is not transferable. Which would also mean no warranty on pre registered demo:!?!!??

Contrary to above, I have reason to believe warranty could be transferable, contrary to previous advice
Intend making sure of this! :?

@k paint doesn't do that, plus you have to mix a harden in with the paint, thats why its calle 2 pack
1st part is part
2nd is hardners

2 parts/pack

its also very carsonagenic and they generaly wont sell to anyone in aerosol

Return to “General Talk”