***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

the "new" evo SUV

Start a Topic! Have Your Say & Talk About Anything.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Mooman
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Re: the "new" evo SUV

Postby Mooman » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:31 am

I've always though it would be great to have a steam powered car, use microwaves to heat water, powered by solar + batteries. You could condense back the steam so little waste.

Have seen an air pressure powered car (think Air jammers toy cars if your as old as me!). The person who did it had 3 increasing bore pistons in a standard car engine bay and a large pressure tank in the boot, worked ok for short distances.

The big issue with EVs is the batteries, Lithium is only found in a few places in the world and it isn't exactly as environmentally friendly as people think (disposal and mining). Just wish more companies considered hydrogen fuel cells like in Japan.

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:30 am

Hydrogen fuel cells i think are the way to go. I have done a lot of reading about these over the years.im betting fuel companies are against them cos there goes all their business

ReeceCozaa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby ReeceCozaa » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:50 pm

i honestly think hydrogen cell would be one of the best choices
We are all in it for the fun!

sarusa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby sarusa » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:30 pm

Crash KABOOM!!!!

sarusa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby sarusa » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:50 pm

Mooman wrote:I've always though it would be great to have a steam powered car, use microwaves to heat water, powered by solar + batteries. You could condense back the steam so little waste.

Have seen an air pressure powered car (think Air jammers toy cars if your as old as me!). The person who did it had 3 increasing bore pistons in a standard car engine bay and a large pressure tank in the boot, worked ok for short distances.

The big issue with EVs is the batteries, Lithium is only found in a few places in the world and it isn't exactly as environmentally friendly as people think (disposal and mining). Just wish more companies considered hydrogen fuel cells like in Japan.

Awhile back on TV inventions a guy had a compressed air engine!!? all it appeared to be, was a vane pump. looked similar to the pumps used in servos, petrol pumps. I used to work at Gilbarco repairing those pumps and to test them after a complete rebuild, connected them up to the compressed air and away it would go with a noise many would like from their exhaust. Cost of getting all that air in a car, whichever way you went would be impractical. :)

Quismiff
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Quismiff » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:02 pm

sarusa wrote:Crash KABOOM!!!!

The Hindenburg all over the world :wink:

Die Grinders used in panel shops and boat yards are similar, they require 80 - 120 PSI, so a larger scale motor would require a lot more I'd expect, you could run it as a scavenging system. Where there is an initial air shot to start the engine (look at early Kenworths with air start), then have a drive shaft off the gear box that runs a compressor to keep making air... would need to be incredibly efficient, a vane or screw type (like a supercharger) compressor rather than a piston type.

The clutch and gearing system, now there is another story!
2007 MY08 VR-X (cj-red)

I'm an eccentric smart-arse whose sarcasm has him perpetually in the s#@!.

Quismiff
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Quismiff » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:24 pm

After my terrible cooments on the subject of Hydrogen Fuels Cells, here is some light reading on the subject

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0Jx4yWqL-wbQUsybnQ4a0dZb1E/view?usp=sharing
2007 MY08 VR-X (cj-red)

I'm an eccentric smart-arse whose sarcasm has him perpetually in the s#@!.

Return to “General Talk”