***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

iPhone 8 which plan to get?

Start a Topic! Have Your Say & Talk About Anything.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

VRX_08
Genius
Genius

Re: iPhone 8 which plan to get?

Postby VRX_08 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:07 pm

Lancer1993 wrote:The iPhone 8 won't drop in price, Apple controls how much they sell for, you might get a couple of dollars off at JB but that's it.

As for Kogan and Dick Smith, I've heard horror stories form them. Since the phones come from international sources they aren't covered by the usual Apple warranty and getting them repaired under warranty can be a nightmare.

Yes I agree they might be over priced but unless you get an old model then its what you pay, at least its not as bad as the UK and some others.

Whats the deal with the $10 per Gb from Vodafone?

Google Kogan, I did when looking at the Samsung Galaxy S8! I read and heard they're cheap but the models you receive are quite often overseas models! Samsung and Apple quite often won't honor warranties here in Australia for overseas models! Overseas models therefore come with different chargers, they provide chargers from what I heard but are quite often cheap non genuine chargers! Your better off buying from an Australian retailer!

Most phone companies have the extra 1gb for $10 on plans! It means if you go over your allocated data then they just charge you $10 per gb you go over! If you go over only a mb's they will still charge you the full $10!

Personally I always find apple products over priced for technology other makers have had long before Apple! Apple phones lack in expandable memory also which can suck and I personally hate how you can't Bluetooth files between devices

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:12 pm

Like anything some/most probably have good experiences but its the not so silent minority that speak up when they get screwed over. Its why ratings on sites are useless unless everyone has their say, its the good thing about eBay and having your say when you buy something.

I was tempted by the Dick Smith prices for the iPhone, save $100s...

All I'm saying is you're unlikely to get a new iPhone at any discount anytime soon short of these types of sites and even then their stocks will be very limited.

I remember getting my 5s the day it was release here, went to my local Telstra shop about 30 min before they opened and waited with about a dozen other people to get it, walked out about an hour later. Unlike those waiting for days inline at Apple stores with 100s of other nuts!

Yes I know how the $10 per Gb thing works. Still better than the insane prices they used to charge per Mb!

AirDrop will allow Apple devices to transfer files from one device to the other, even from desktop/laptop to phone.

The fixed memory size is why I always go for the larger model, costs more but I know when it comes time to sell its likely to sell quicker for a better price.

Each to their own... at least here we all like the CJ Lancer :)
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

VRX_08
Genius
Genius

Postby VRX_08 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:27 pm

Lancer1993 wrote:Like anything some/most probably have good experiences but its the not so silent minority that speak up when they get screwed over. Its why ratings on sites are useless unless everyone has their say, its the good thing about eBay and having your say when you buy something.

I was tempted by the Dick Smith prices for the iPhone, save $100s...

All I'm saying is you're unlikely to get a new iPhone at any discount anytime soon short of these types of sites and even then their stocks will be very limited.

I remember getting my 5s the day it was release here, went to my local Telstra shop about 30 min before they opened and waited with about a dozen other people to get it, walked out about an hour later. Unlike those waiting for days inline at Apple stores with 100s of other nuts!

Yes I know how the $10 per Gb thing works. Still better than the insane prices they used to charge per Mb!

AirDrop will allow Apple devices to transfer files from one device to the other, even from desktop/laptop to phone.

The fixed memory size is why I always go for the larger model, costs more but I know when it comes time to sell its likely to sell quicker for a better price.

Each to their own... at least here we all like the CJ Lancer :)

I was just giving my opinion, everyone is different! Reading some of the stories i didn't wanna risk Kogan despite the huge price difference along with the warranty issues! Have a look at the latest Samsungs too, they are quite often a bit cheaper which it seems your after! I love my Galaxy S8 and I had a fiddle with the new Note 8 and was impressed which comes out soon!

Quismiff
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Quismiff » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:37 am

Kogan, Dick Smith (now Kogan, he brought the rights to the name and the website etc), and a few other discount retailers also sell factory refurbished models, phones and iPads sent back for warranty now repaired and ready to go (not relevant to the ip8 I know), usually with the same warranty or remainder there of, if they are an Australian model. My wife and I brought our S4's from a parallel importer in NZ, and when I asked Samsung Australia about a problem we had with it (it wasn't receiving OS software updates) they opened the back, looked at the code, and wiped their hands of the problem, so I've had first hand experience with that one. Unfortunately it will be a while before Aus sees similar plans to the US where data is unlimited on mobile plans, and 4G is just about everywhere. Check out Sprint, T Mobile, or Virginmobileusa for some hell deals, which appear expensive, but for value, you wouldn't need a home internet or phone connection, you'd just run it off your mobile. I read an article somewhere about not being afraid to ask for a better deal, and if you don't get it, not being afraid to walk away when you find someone who will give you a good deal, or if the better deal ends suddenly/service isn't what you'd expect.

man that was off topic...

as for complaints, you only have to go to each carriers facebook pages to see the miles of complaints, some received within minutes of each other, I made a complaint or query on optus once, and it took them a week to get to me, but I could see why as the volume of complaints was eye watering, but then I looked at Telstra, and saw they were the same.
2007 MY08 VR-X (cj-red)

I'm an eccentric smart-arse whose sarcasm has him perpetually in the s#@!.

VRXblack
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby VRXblack » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:14 pm

Lancer1993 wrote:The iPhone 8 won't drop in price, Apple controls how much they sell for, you might get a couple of dollars off at JB but that's it.

Granted they do control how much they sell them for i agree with you there, but you look hard enough (JB aint always the cheapest)
Enjoy: https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/330266

bit of a wait to get the device but $300+ saving, i reckon its worth the wait for anyone wanting to get an iPhone8
Black 2010 VRX Lancer

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:32 pm

I simply don't want anyone Android (apart from the HU in my CJ) its iPhone for me or nothing.

I'd love to buy one outright but I simply can't afford that, my current monthly cost is $55, I can afford an extra $12 (Vodafone $67 plan) a month but not almost double for the Telstra $101 plan.

valkyria
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby valkyria » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:06 pm

To be honest man, if you can't afford to buy one outright, and the upgrade isn't absolutely necessary, then it's not worth it. I've always wondered why people sign themselves up to paying 2.5 times the cost of the phone itself, for sub-par plans despite their old phones working great.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:27 pm

When away for 3 weeks last year we used my iPhone 5s as our internet connection in most places, worked great and clocked up a few Gb of data, more than I planned. Works great as a mobile hot spot.

Complaints - Studies have found your are more likely to complain about a product and post a report when something fails or doesn't work as you expected, so there might be a lot of complaints on phone companies FaceBook pages but that isn't always an indication of how good or bad they are.

I've had no issues with Telstra on my iPhone, had more issues with Optus in the past on older cell phones.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:35 pm

valkyria wrote:To be honest man, if you can't afford to buy one outright, and the upgrade isn't absolutely necessary, then it's not worth it. I've always wondered why people sign themselves up to paying 2.5 times the cost of the phone itself, for sub-par plans despite their old phones working great.

Maybe you need to look at the Plans again.

Vodafone you get a $30 plan, its the same plan if you BYO phone or not. Then they take the cost of the iPhone (any phone) and divide by the number of months. In this cast $1329/36 = $36.91 so a total of $66.91. You don't pay any more in total for the phone or plan if you take a 1-2 or 3 year deal, you can opt out at any time if you pay off the phone and it doesn't cost you a cent extra.

You are not paying 2.5x the cost of the phone and you get the phone in the end.

I can get at least $100 for my 4yo iPhone 5s on eBay which is a nice little return.

I've see some people updating every year, they actually pay extra so they have the option to opt out after 12 months, Telstra does this!

ReeceCozaa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby ReeceCozaa » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:09 pm

pretty accurate you say that quismiff but apple does that with every phone on australia! the apple contract in australia uses every single spair part from broken phones and builds "brand new ones" to send to customers, sorta dodgy but hey that's apple!
We are all in it for the fun!

Ronan.Butler11
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Ronan.Butler11 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:23 pm

i got an amazing deal, mainly because my older brother works at optus,
between the both of us on the same plan

S7 with 6GB data unlimited talk and text with gear fit 2, on a 2 year plan - $65 a month
sim only plan - unlimited talk and text with 10gb data for $40 or $50
2 Optus Fetch boxes - $30 up front and $5 a month from there
Free premier league and cricket subscriptions

all up its an expensive list, but with discount we get it for around $60 per month between the 2 of us.

where i live service is bollocks whoever we go with, mainly use Wifi at home for fb messenger or wifi calling on the S7.
dare say try vodafone for the 30 day trial then maybe suss out optus coverage maps.
"When I Grow Up, I Wanna Be An Evo! (9 MR with a filthy BOV)

'09 Lancer VRX
Modifications:
De-Res Then a 2.5" Dual Exit X-Force Axle back Exhaust
18" King Rims
Ralliart Snorkel
LED No. Plate lights and interior
*insert further useless modifications to make it seem like i'm good at this*

Ronan.Butler11
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Ronan.Butler11 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:25 pm

** EDIT ***

iphone launch day is meant to be metal customer wise, so if you do go for the iphone either start lining up or wait for the heat to die down a little

'09 Lancer VRX
Modifications:
18" King Rims
Ralliart Snorkel

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:20 pm

I went in to Vodafone around lunch time Friday and I was the only one there, the sales guy said it was a pretty quite day for both the new iPhone and Galaxy as many had pre-order online much more than last year.

Anyway got the iPhone 8 with 256Gb for $37pm on a $30 plan so $67pm over 3 years which is very good, I'll see how they go and if needed pay off the handset and get out. The sales guy was really trying to push the insurance and extras they can offer for a low monthly fee, I didn't bite!

Also ordered an UAG case and screen protector on eBay, should be here just before the new phone in a couple of weeks.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:44 pm

Still waiting on my new iPhone 8...

Ronan.Butler11
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Ronan.Butler11 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:35 pm

Lancer1993 wrote:I went in to Vodafone around lunch time Friday and I was the only one there, the sales guy said it was a pretty quite day for both the new iPhone and Galaxy as many had pre-order online much more than last year.

Anyway got the iPhone 8 with 256Gb for $37pm on a $30 plan so $67pm over 3 years which is very good, I'll see how they go and if needed pay off the handset and get out. The sales guy was really trying to push the insurance and extras they can offer for a low monthly fee, I didn't bite!

Also ordered an UAG case and screen protector on eBay, should be here just before the new phone in a couple of weeks.

haha, you will be like a kid running into a candy store when you get given that little box, i remember i spent about 2 days straight analyzing every feature when i got my S7, first ever phone i got brand new and paid with my own money. ( mini me did love the Hand-me-down life XD)

'09 Lancer VRX
Modifications:
18" King Rims
Ralliart Snorkel

Return to “General Talk”