***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

iPhone 8 which plan to get?

Start a Topic! Have Your Say & Talk About Anything.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

iPhone 8 which plan to get?

Postby Lancer1993 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:09 pm

So I want/need a new iPhone, my 5s is getting old.

Now I'm not interest in the new iPhone X, its a great product but for me over priced and won't be here until November.

So I'm looking at the 8 (not 8 Plus) with 256Gb.

2 year plans start from...
Telstra $101 - 2Gb per month
Optus $73 - 1Gb per month
Vodafone $85 - 2Gb per month ($66 - 3 year plan)

So I've been with Telstra for years, good coverage and not real issues but I'm not sure if the extra cost worth it anymore.
The 3 year Vodafone plan looks great but the coverage can be bad in some areas.

What plans do others have regardless of cell phone?
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

VRXblack
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Re: iPhone 8 which plan to get?

Postby VRXblack » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:21 pm

just depends on where you are and what coverage you need. Im only with shitstra cause or work and our sites around the state.
but im thinking about making the move to optus when i get back from my holiday. i mean $40 a month for unlimited calls/text and 15GB in data im in =)

what annoys me about the new iPhones is that they only brought out a 64GB and a 256GB... i mean most people will get the 256GB cause lets face it 64GB is probably just enough for anyone. i just dont understand why they dont do 128 and 256 and not bother with the 64gb... oh well...

speaking of phones i just bought myself the OnePlus5 and so far im blown away. 3 years since my last iPhone and for sure ill never get one again.
but at those prices and such low data you gotta go for the voda or the telstra one, i mean will 1gb be enough?
Black 2010 VRX Lancer

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:42 pm

I agree, my 5s has 64Gb and its 4 years old, the base model 8 should not be the same.

As for data I hardly use most of mine, right now with 2/3 of the month gone I've used less than 500Mb. 2Gb is plenty as much of the time I'm using WiFi to do most stuff. I do need to find out if I'll still have access to Telstra Air via WiFi when out even if I'm on say the Vodafone service for the Cell. Either way like most plans each Gb costs just $10, which is way better than plans of old!

I'm really considering the Vodafone cause you're not locked in, if after 6 months I find the service crap I can pay out the handset and just move back to Telstra, keeping the same number.

VRX_08
Genius
Genius

Postby VRX_08 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:15 pm

Vodafone I think still offer the 30 day network guarantee, if your not happy then you csn return the phone pretty sure (might be worth checking their website)

I currently have the S8 on Telstra, you pay more on Telstra than the other major telcos! But in my opinion the service is so much better than anyone else! The data speeds, call quality and reception areas is far better! In my opinion whatever you do don't go Optus, I've had so many problems and their service and data speeds are appalling! I got out of my Optus plan mid contract when the service dropped out mid call to Optus technical support! Both the Telstra and Optus towers are side by side in my home town yet I struggled to make a call or get on the internet with Optus! Yet Telstra no issues at all!

As for Vodafone I have a data sim in a Samsung 4g tablet and the service is average! Most days its alright but in country areas it can be appalling even in a major country town like Mildura!

I would pay the extra dollars especially if you use the internet often and go Telstra! They have a greater 4G coverage and Telstra Air is a great thing to have!

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:21 am

Yeah that's the only thing I have concerns about with Vodafone is their coverage. I've checked the maps and they are pretty good here on the Sunshine coast. Yes they still have the 30 day thing.

So anyone here use Vodafone on the Sunshine coast or the SE QLD area in general?

sarusa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby sarusa » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:34 am

Lancer1993 wrote:So I want/need a new iPhone, my 5s is getting old.

Now I'm not interest in the new iPhone X, its a great product but for me over priced and won't be here until November.

So I'm looking at the 8 (not 8 Plus) with 256Gb.

2 year plans start from...
Telstra $101 - 2Gb per month
Optus $73 - 1Gb per month
Vodafone $85 - 2Gb per month ($66 - 3 year plan)

So I've been with Telstra for years, good coverage and not real issues but I'm not sure if the extra cost worth it anymore.
The 3 year Vodafone plan looks great but the coverage can be bad in some areas.

What plans do others have regardless of cell phone?

Old advert: When your on a good thing stick to it!!

Myself I won't touch Telstra because they automatically charge for over the limit usage rather then reducing speed.
Or at least they used to, last time I checked with them, could finish up with an astronomical bill. That wasn't for iPhone though!
Try Optus?

VRXblack
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby VRXblack » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:41 am

yeah its just so weird that they made that jump from 64 to 256. i mean even 256 is kinda overkill... then again though there is no microsd card slot. but my new phone doesnt have a microsd slot but i have already installed everything i need and still have 50GB free... oh well

i personally have never been on voda so i can say much about it. at least they do the 30 days trail which is good. i think optus do the same thing as well, may want to have look into that and try both out and see what happens.

damn @VRX_08 i may have to rethink about optus, i may just stay with Telstra but i so want to get everything off of them (including my internet, only 2 more years till i can get NBN lol).
Black 2010 VRX Lancer

adamhumphrey
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby adamhumphrey » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:56 am

Last year I purchased the iPhone 7 plus outright and went to Telstra with a byo mobile plan and pay $50 for unlimited calls and text with 5Gb +2gb bonus for contract of 24 months.. I found it more cost effective to buy the phone and do it that way. At the end of contract go buy new iPhone 8s/9 plus and sell the other one off which helps the cost of new phone. If you take off the the difference from the current lowest plan and cost of byo plan approx. $60 works out $1440. Then sell off old phone for $500 to $800 then it becomes a cheap phone. Just depends if you want to outlay for phone up front or pay over time.
MY11 Evo X MR (2011-Current)
MY20 Asx GSR (2023-Current)

MY11 Peugoet 207 XT HDi (2020-Mar 2023)
MY09 Lancer Sportback VRX (2015-2019) - Sold Nov 2019
Owner Operator: - Adam's Attention to Detail. Mobile Detailing and Automotive Installations.
https://www.facebook.com/AdamsAttentionToDetail/

VRX_08
Genius
Genius

Postby VRX_08 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:07 am

VRXblack wrote:yeah its just so weird that they made that jump from 64 to 256. i mean even 256 is kinda overkill... then again though there is no microsd card slot. but my new phone doesnt have a microsd slot but i have already installed everything i need and still have 50GB free... oh well

i personally have never been on voda so i can say much about it. at least they do the 30 days trail which is good. i think optus do the same thing as well, may want to have look into that and try both out and see what happens.

damn @VRX_08 i may have to rethink about optus, i may just stay with Telstra but i so want to get everything off of them (including my internet, only 2 more years till i can get NBN lol).

I will never touch Optus again! There service is rubbish out of the city, their internet is unreliable especially outside major capitals and is slow!

When i got out of my plan mid contract with Optus I had to return my phone! I requested 4 postage satchels from Optus before I ever recieved one! The first 2 never got sent, only way I got any success out of them was through the ombudsmen! They got their arses into gear then!

Vodafone used to be inaccessible where I live but even they are better than Optus here! I would go Vodafone before Optus, as someone once told me once you switch to Telstra you'll never ho back! You get what you pay for, however I live in a blackspot but with Telstra I've never had a service issue

Quismiff
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Quismiff » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:28 am

Telstra is definitely better for reception in out of the way areas, Optus are building up to that, but like all things it takes time, most other providers piggyback Optus. Optus have the skymuster satellites, but satcom calls and data can be pricey :wink: when we moved into Lynbrook about 40 clicks out of Melbourne we only got 3g and couldn't make calls in the house, 6 months later and we were on 4g better than the Wifi...

Don't forget to press for a deal, use the fact you've been with them for as long as you have, and what other providers are offering. Can't hurt to see how flexible they'll be and make a decision from there
2007 MY08 VR-X (cj-red)

I'm an eccentric smart-arse whose sarcasm has him perpetually in the s#@!.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:04 pm

Was considering buying outright but don't have the money so it is a plan or nothing.

I will ask Telstra what is the best they can do but $101 is the list cost I've seen. The $67, 3 year deal on Vodafone is about all I can afford right now.

As for data limits they all now have the $10 per Gb thing, so gone are the days of sky high charges for excess data, well at least to the extent of $1000s for a movie or music downloads.

I can't believe Optus has a 1Gb plan when all the others are 2Gb for the lowest, not a lot but enough for those who don't do a lot online when away from a WiFi hot spot.

One upside is I have my old 5s to sell, I got a few dollars for my old 3Gs selling it just 2 years ago. Should get at least $100 for it!

ReeceCozaa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby ReeceCozaa » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:27 pm

after dealing with vodafone and their 10 bucks per GB bull**** i'll never go on a contract again. i'm planning on buying the iphone 8plus from kogan and using their prepaid plan, roughly $49.90 for 16gb unlimited calls and texts, using vodafones lines! so keen to go with them
We are all in it for the fun!

VRXblack
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby VRXblack » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:51 pm

i swear the iPhone is such an over-rated and overpriced phone.

but buying it outright and then putting it on a BYO plan is better way to go, obviously if you can afford it. give it like 3 months and the iPhones will drop in price or right now is the best time to buy a iPhone7. i mean is there something in the iPhone8 that makes it better than the the iPhone7? is it worth it?
After my last contact 3 years ago ill never go on contract again, such bad value for what you get.
Black 2010 VRX Lancer

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:46 pm

The iPhone 8 won't drop in price, Apple controls how much they sell for, you might get a couple of dollars off at JB but that's it.

As for Kogan and Dick Smith, I've heard horror stories form them. Since the phones come from international sources they aren't covered by the usual Apple warranty and getting them repaired under warranty can be a nightmare.

Yes I agree they might be over priced but unless you get an old model then its what you pay, at least its not as bad as the UK and some others.

Whats the deal with the $10 per Gb from Vodafone?

ReeceCozaa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby ReeceCozaa » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:03 pm

Lancer1993 wrote:The iPhone 8 won't drop in price, Apple controls how much they sell for, you might get a couple of dollars off at JB but that's it.

As for Kogan and Dick Smith, I've heard horror stories form them. Since the phones come from international sources they aren't covered by the usual Apple warranty and getting them repaired under warranty can be a nightmare.

Yes I agree they might be over priced but unless you get an old model then its what you pay, at least its not as bad as the UK and some others.

Whats the deal with the $10 per Gb from Vodafone?

i'm not sure how the apple warranty goes, i think it's covered by a years kogan warranty, i bought an ipad ages ago from there and my dads bought a fair bit of tech through out the years there, there TVs use to be garbage but apparently now they're most bang for buck in AUS, i guess they're advancing really well! as for their mobile prepaid the reviews generally hover around 4/5 stars! but like said i'm still unaware what the go with is with buying a phone from them and how their warranty would link with apple
We are all in it for the fun!

Return to “General Talk”