***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Mitsubishi Lancer ends production

Start a Topic! Have Your Say & Talk About Anything.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

himynameisdaniel
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Mitsubishi Lancer ends production

Postby himynameisdaniel » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:53 am

K+N drop in
RA intake
SS 4-2-1 Headers
Whiteline Strut Brace
Whiteline Rear Sway Bar
SuperPro Polyurethane Bushings
Paddle Shifters

Merlinised

Skrallex
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Re: Mitsubishi Lancer ends production

Postby Skrallex » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:20 am

It's sad but probably for the best, they were only continuing to tarnish the Lancer name by shoving out the same car each year when it really shouldn't have been produced past 2012.

Mystique
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Mystique » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:27 pm

I think you will find that 2017 is the final year for the US.

My understanding is that it stopped in Aus at the end of 2016.
Daily: My14 Lancer LX
Weekender: 2009 MY09 Ralliart Hatch

My Mod Thread: viewtopic.php?p=324612#324612
Instagram: http://instagram.com/mitsii_lx

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:17 pm

Where there is a buck to be made they will keep on selling them, but yest the end of nigh for the Lancer name. Not sure if it will be 2017 with the 'new' CF model only just released.
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:54 pm

Who would have thought after 10 years the current lancer model would end. It must be one of the longest current models still being produced

LiX
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby LiX » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:18 pm

Sadly, but expected. Mitsu stopped selling the Lancer here in Bulgaria in 2016.

Davy
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Davy » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:22 pm

There's speculation that it's a global call and this might be the last year for the Lancer here in Australia.
http://www.caradvice.com.au/511605/mits ... 17-report/

Sad indeed...
Last edited by Davy on Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

sarusa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby sarusa » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:49 am

Except for Bulgaria. all speculative!!! Earlier on there was the move to go with Nisan to on a joint venture but Nisan pulled out.
Now that Nisan is the major share holder anything is possible. Viva Lancer!!

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:50 pm

I still don't get it, right now if you want a sedan then all Mitsy offers is the Lancer and Mirage, thats it. No sports car, no wagon, no luxury cars. The rest of the range is SUVs and 4x4 utes. The range is quite pathetic when compared to others like Mazda, Nissan or Toyota. Even Hyundai has a better range to choose from right now, many who want a hot car like the EVO or RA will go over the Subaru or even Ford with the Focus RS. I hate that Mitsubishi is going down this path to a SUV world.

Speaking of which have you checked out the new for 2017 Toyota C-HR, way better then anything Mitsubishi has in its line up right now!

I don't know why Mitsubishi is in so much trouble right now but a lack of R&D for new cars, SUV or otherwise is a big issue and the fact they are not winning at motorsport like the Dakar or WRC could also have hurt their image.

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:33 pm

Mitsubishi is in trouble? You do know Mitsubishi is one of the biggest companies in the world. Cars are only 1 division of the company.
They are concentrating what they believe will make the most profit not trying to satisfy everyone who wants a car.

Nate N
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Nate N » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:08 pm

At this stage, I'm actually happy to see the Lancer go. It was getting so long in the tooth and Mitsubishi were tarnishing the nameplate by keeping it in production for so long when the competition had moved on by at least a whole generation.

Anyway, here's hoping the Nissan/Renault alliance bears fruit later on down the track with a fresh Lancer and, hopefully, an Evo XI. Till then, I daresay the RA will be my last Mitsubishi.

burfadel
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby burfadel » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:11 pm

aspir3 wrote:Mitsubishi is in trouble? You do know Mitsubishi is one of the biggest companies in the world. Cars are only 1 division of the company.
They are concentrating what they believe will make the most profit not trying to satisfy everyone who wants a car.

Nissan took the controlling interest in Mitsubishi a few months ago, so basically now we're driving Nissans :). Mitsubishi made the mistake with how they handled the models. The ASX was literally a SUV version of the Lancer, they should have retained using the same parts bin for trim, styling etc, it would have kept the costs down. In 2013 when they changed to the updated 4B11, they should have used the newly developed 4J12 instead (it's just an updated 4B engine with a new head and better efficiency). The 4J12 should have been the standard motor in the ASX, Lancer etc, with only the 4J11 (which also exists) servicing areas with engine size limits of 2.0 L. Further to that, they should have actually put in sound insulation. Must be a Japanese thing, Mazda were atrocious for noise as well. The 2017 CX-5 adds over 50 lbs (25 kg+) of noise insulation, and the new Mazda 3 and 6 will likely get improved noise insulation as well. Having the ASX styling on the inside would have kept it a little more modern, think of little things like the colour dash display. Old one may have been cheaper, but from a logistics point of view it would have been more expensive than just having the colour display.

Lots of little things that lead to big issues. Basically the Lancer needn't be a big seller and still be profitable if they were smarter and more organised with their model handling. The Lancer may possibly be 'replaced' by an rebranded existing model that we don't currently have available here from the Nissan group (including Renault etc), whether it will be sold as a Mitsubishi or Nissan is anyone's guess. It will also be interesting to see what they will do with the ASX, Outlander etc next year seeing as Euro VI will be a requirement from 2018 onwards in Australia, and the current engines probably wouldn't meet those requirements.

Maybe if the Ethan Automotive Group actually do end up making cars (a SUV, sedan, and coupe) it will be something interesting. Supposedly they want to pull some tricks out of the bag but also make them affordable and close to 100 percent Australian...
I might add a pic of my car once I style the exterior a bit :).

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:15 pm

Yeah but not everyone wants an SUV, the small ones are useless off road, some don't even have AWD. And the big ones costs a lot more than the average sedan or hatch to buy and run. I was really amazed how much we got into my sedan on a trip to Adelaide, would never fit it into a Mirage or small SUV around the same price. It was also a pretty comfortable ride on the 18" rims, good on fuel and handled the long distances without any issues and pretty quick off the mark to pass just about anything on the hwy.

Not sure what I'd go for if I can't get a Lancer or find a good used one the next time I upgrade, but I'm a long way from that right now.

Mooman
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Mooman » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:48 am

The CJ was/is already a bitsa anyway.

The Mivec engine is effectively a Hyundai, the CVT is from Jatco so basically Nissan, the sub frames are from Chrysler/Jeep. The only thing that defined it is the body work styling.

Hyundai/Kia have really stepped up their game in the small car/hatch market and people flock to popular models such as Corolla and Mazda 3 to keep up with the Jones'.

But the real interesting thing is that Hilux was the best selling car/truck/ute last year which shows a push to tradie vehicles that can also double as family cars (tax incentives probably helped too).

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:18 pm

This is yet another bad sign for any new Lancer considering rumor had it it could be based on the Nissan platform.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/539037/niss ... ntly-axed/

Return to “General Talk”