***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Is the CJ still a safe car?

Start a Topic! Have Your Say & Talk About Anything.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Mystique
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Re: Is the CJ still a safe car?

Postby Mystique » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:44 pm

At the end of the day who cares???

Youre basing your opinion on something you have never owned and never obviously driven
Daily: My14 Lancer LX
Weekender: 2009 MY09 Ralliart Hatch

My Mod Thread: viewtopic.php?p=324612#324612
Instagram: http://instagram.com/mitsii_lx

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:08 pm

A hatch is usually shorter so I guess in that respect the sportsback has more room.

Look I have nothing against the sportsback, I just wish they had released a proper wagon alongside the sedan and maybe a 2 door hatch but know that will never happen. We'll be lucky if we get a new Lancer in any form after the CF runs it it course.

Back to safety I guess one thing a number of new cars now have is active crash avoidance with cameras stopping you from crashing into things. Maybe old people need that so we don't have so many running into shops when they hit the wrong pedal?
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

Skrallex
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Skrallex » Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:31 pm

Took my car in for a recall today, as I was leaving some woman was bringing her ASX in and trying to park next to me, there was heaps of room because they were wide bays and neither me or the car on the other side were close to the line. Yet she stopped and looked at me and told me that she didn't think she would be able to park it in there! Me and the mitsubishi guy just looked at each other like "How on earth did this woman get her license?". He had to guide her into the bay just so she wouldn't hit either of the cars next to her.

So I guess the active crash avoidance and cameras aren't just for old people :P maybe also all those people that shouldn't even have their license in the first place!

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:17 pm

I know when I first got my CJ it felt much bigger than the CC coupe, but I'm getting really good at judging distances now. That said the rev camera does come in handy. Looking at getting a forward camera for those tricky spots. I actually find it easier to revers park a lot of the time, using the mirrors you can better judge when you're in the middle of the spot. The other day I saw a guy doing this and was wondering why is he looking over his shoulder, then I noticed the missing drivers side mirror.

Really wish Mitsy had put lane warning and other safety things into the CF that many cars have now. Also auto parking, not that I need it but OMG there are some hopeless cases out there just like you described that just can't park to save their life.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:32 pm

RACQ 2018 update

So they updated the list but weirdly the CJ is missing, the CH is there and so if the Mirage.

https://www.racq.com.au/cars-and-drivin ... 1_0_divTab

PDF
https://www.racq.com.au/-/media/racq/pd ... 1B774E281D

For the 2016 info go to the first post and look at the PDF link, the CJ got 4 stars.

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:08 pm

Why bother looking at RACQ for when the only place you should be looking is the ANCAP web site?

http://www.ancap.com.au/safety-ratings/ ... shi/lancer

Has 5 star rating
Always has and no,doubt it always will

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:24 pm

Thanks for the link.

bumblebee wrote:Has 5 star rating
Always has and no, doubt it always will

Debatable, if the CJ/CF was tested under the current rules without autonomous braking it would do 4 stars at best.
Last edited by Lancer1993 on Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:26 am

It's sad so many people need a computer to drive for them

Perhaps if people actually paid attention when driving rather then sending sms when driving or heaven forbid might actually invest 10% of what they spend on a vehicle on actually doing some driving course and learn how to drive that would greatly reduce the chance of an accident

Sadly too many are too lazy and too stupid to do anything like that and expect the rest of the world to held responsible for their screw ups

Driven a car with all the bells and whistles lately with the automatic braking etc on it?
It gets it wrong so many times it's not funny.

The best place to get the results you want is here

https://www.euroncap.com/en

The rest of the world follows after Europe have laid down what should be happening safety wise be it car motorcycle or whatever and it has been that ways for years and no doubt will be for quite some time yet

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:04 pm

Safety is one thing but I agree with so many safety systems on modern cars drivers are becoming too reliant and lazy. Just look in the US so many drivers don't wear seat belts because they think the airbags will save them if they crash, which is simply untrue.

I have no doubt autonomous braking will save lives, just look at the number of crashes where cars run into shop, also rear end crashes are the most common so having this will drastically cut this. But right now its like the early days of ABS, over all not many cars have it soy don't want to be the one stopping in time only to have the car behind hit you when they aren't paying attention to the traffic.

I know my CJ got a 5 star rating back in 2009 but I guess the point of these studies it to show have a car that might have had a 4-5 star rating in 2000 has now dropped to 1 star because of new tech and better design in new cars.

I was shocked the CH rated so low and grateful the CJ took such a huge step up in safety back in 2007. Again its weird the CJ was not listed when it was 2 years ago.

Thanks for the link. Good you can search and find info on your car.

sarusa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby sarusa » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:34 pm

Taking size as a consideration, I'd say a dam side safer then most! That i re strength not equipment.

Return to “General Talk”