***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Lancer v Pulsar, we chose wisely

Start a Topic! Have Your Say & Talk About Anything.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Lancer v Pulsar, we chose wisely

Postby Lancer1993 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:47 pm

So as some of you may know my Nephew died recently, anyway been helping prepare is 2013 Pulsar for sale to pay off the loan he left his grandparents.

Anyway I have a list of things that make the CJ Lancer a better chose.
a) Better engine, most of the Pulsar range makes do with a poke 1.8 and his has a crap CVT. Yes you can go further on a tank but it will take you longer to get there.
b) Sedans back seats don't fold down, yes some bright spark at Nissan thought it would be a good idea. Now not sure if this is only on the ST base model but it makes loading long things hard/impossible and cleaning the back window is a nightmare. It does have a tiny 'ski' hole.
c) The wipers can be lifted off the windscreen without the arm hitting the bonnet, might you it can be down when the bonnet is open but then you run the risk of closing bonnet and breaking them.
d) Can't change the info for fuel used, it has one option here, Km per Lt. The CJ has always had the option of changing this to Lt per 100Km or even MPG in US or UK. The only upside is it down have a proper temp and fuel gauge, not just the LCD one we have.

Now there are more but these complaints are for the basic design which is why I'm grateful I chose the CJ, not that I was likely to get a Pulsar as the only one I'd like is the SSS hatch with proper manual.
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

CJsportback
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Re: Lancer v Pulsar, we chose wisely

Postby CJsportback » Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:17 pm

Strange about the back seats, I have never seen that before. There's no pull levers in the boot either? Weird..

Also I do sometimes wish we had proper temp/fuel gauges..there's something about the incriments I just don't like with the LCD display.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:51 pm

They are better with the color center display but yes I agree. That said the trend is for a full LCD screen, which I like. As long as you can customize them with color and placement of gauges.

Yes checked and no way to move the seats, last time I saw that was in my 76 model Celica. I believe in the Pulsar hatch you can lower the seasons, much more practical car IMHO.

And I checked, you can pickup a 3yo SSS manual for around $15-16k now, would have been tempting 18 months ago but I'm glade I have a CJ.

Mystique
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Mystique » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:17 pm

(Y)
Daily: My14 Lancer LX
Weekender: 2009 MY09 Ralliart Hatch

My Mod Thread: viewtopic.php?p=324612#324612
Instagram: http://instagram.com/mitsii_lx

himynameisdaniel
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby himynameisdaniel » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:46 am

another annoying this with our temp lcd readout is that it is supposed to hover in the middle with 1 bar deviation when engine warm.
if for whatever reason it goes up by 2-3 bars above normal and stays there, you will not know unless you cycle to that screen. missing key information on what could be an early temp related fault but engine still within operating specs.

the other thing is that if the engine does overheat very quickly you may not have enough time to safely pull over before entering the danger zone and the display alerting you. hence why a separate temp gauge or readout is always a must!
you want to cool the car down before it reaches critical temps not during or after if you want to preserve your components.
K+N drop in
RA intake
SS 4-2-1 Headers
Whiteline Strut Brace
Whiteline Rear Sway Bar
SuperPro Polyurethane Bushings
Paddle Shifters

Merlinised

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:27 am

Yes but do most drivers even bother checking the temp gauge?

I like the 'new' color display I just put in, the temp and fuel is always there, at least on the screen I have it set. Haven't had it long enough to remember all the modes.

Is the 2016 CF the same color display they have used the last few years in the CJ, ASX and Outlander?

But back to the Pulsar the biggest annoying design things are the back seats and those wipers that can't be lifted. Yes it might make the car more slippery through the air be still a fail in my book.

Oh also not sure if it's a feature of the CVT in the Pulsar but there is no dipstick for the auto GB to check the oil level.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:59 pm

One other thing I noticed was the power windows, now on my 09 VRX you can use them after you turn off the engine until you get out, something with the key fob. Not sure if this is the same with CJs that use a key to start. Anyway in the newer Pulsar (that does use a key) as soon as you turn off the engine no power windows, my old CC coupe when I added power windows I got them wired so when on ACC they had power, really useful when parked and waiting for someone.

Now maybe there is a setting and this is the base model SL so I'm not even complaining about the lack of auto lights and wipers which are not included in the base model CJ of 2013.

BarbC
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby BarbC » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:19 pm

Lancer1993 wrote:Yes but do most drivers even bother checking the temp gauge?

I like the 'new' color display I just put in, the temp and fuel is always there, at least on the screen I have it set. Haven't had it long enough to remember all the modes.

I also miss the temp gauge but hopefully will fix that with the OBD2 unit and torque on the Joying HU should look sweet or alternately you can use a smart phone to show the temp or what ever you choose.
First Lancer LC Hatchback
Latest CJ Lancer Sportback ES

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:59 pm

I checked my 'new' cluster and yes the temp and fuel is always displayed on the color ones, something missing with the red only clusters.

So a mod worth changing is to get a color cluster when one come up on eBay or at the wreckers.

Return to “General Talk”