***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Insurance claim??

Start a Topic! Have Your Say & Talk About Anything.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

SEB15
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Insurance claim??

Postby SEB15 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:02 pm

Short story, my engine fail the other day due mechanical problem and looks pretty bad, one of my friends suggested to try to make a insurance claim. Called my insurance and they told me to get a mechanic to make a report + photos and sent them to my insurance and then the insurance will get it assessed ether in person or digital.
My question is, if the insurance will decide not to cover it, i will still pay the excess? Also did someone or knows someone who did the same thing?

Here is a copy/paste of the email sent to me by the insurance:

"
Dear MR SEBASTIAN,

Thank you for calling our claims team today.

In order for us to progress your motor claim, we require a mechanical and engine report from any local mechanical Repairer.

Once you have the mechanical report and images from the mechanical repairer, could you (or the repairer) please send them to us at qbe@crashzone.com.au. Please put the claim number in the subject line for easy reference.

ASSESSMENT OF YOUR VEHICLE

Once we receive the quotes and images we will then be able to appoint an assessor to inspect your vehicle either onsite or digital assessment. Please keep your lines open within 2-3 business days so our assessor will be able to arrange a time that best suits you. Following the assessment, our assessor will let you know the next steps to the claim.

YOUR EXCESS

As discussed with you today, your excess of $600.00 will apply once we accepted the claim. You can pay your excess directly to the repairer when you collect your vehicle or call us to pay it using your credit card.

Our claims team will be in touch with you throughout the duration of your claim. In the meantime, if you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us at 133 723.

Kind regards,

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:26 pm

Sorry to hear about your engine issues, what happened?

It is interesting as I always thought insurance didn't cover mechanical problems unless it was the result of an accident. Years ago my Lancer coupe got engine damage when water got sucked into it (long story) I wasn't crossing a flooded river, just following a few other cars through some water across the road so it was covered, minus the depreciation.

So when is mechanical damage covered?
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

SEB15
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby SEB15 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:00 pm

early Thursday night one of the spark plugs let go (cyl 3) and on my way home while i was driving i wake up with oil sprayed on my windscreen, loss of power and lots of smoke coming out thru my exhaust. Engine bay was covered with oil and strong smell of petrol. all 4 cyl are covered in oil and the turbo has oil in it as well, after a close inspection
What got me with the insurance as i explained to them what happened is i was expecting for them to say: sorry, you're not covered for mechanical failure, but instead they told me to get a mechanic to get it checked and make a report, if that will be the case i will be more than happy to pay excess, BUT the only worry i have is the car to be written off as i guess the cost involved to get it fixed is high considering labour and parts are not cheap...

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:03 pm

Sounds bad, hope things work out.

SEB15
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby SEB15 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:07 pm

Thanks, i hope so. waiting to do compression test

SAM-24A
Alumni
Alumni

Postby SAM-24A » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:05 am

@ SEB15

Firstly, I feel deeply for your situation Sebastian & wish your insurance claim with QBE is successful & a suitable outcome can be resolved asap.
Although I think a complete engine replacement may be the safest option since the engines internals cannot be guaranteed unless a complete strip down & individual parts inspection is performed >> time, labor & cost intensive.

Secondly & upon reading, I was interested when you mentioned Spark Plug No:3 let go & consequently caused the engine failure & the oil soaked engine bay, smokey exhaust etc.
This immediately reminded me of the Fuel Relay issues which were reported & discussed several years ago after a Mitsubishi TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) was documented.

I did a quick search of my Important Post List & found this: Spark Plug Ultimate Fail posted Nov 2012.

But after a refreshing read of the whole 5 page thread, I was surprised to read that you had become aware & actually replaced the suspected faulty fuel pump relay on your RA.

I'm left confused as to why this Spark Plug Failure has occurred to your engine since you stated: Page No:4 @ Dec 2012
SEB15 wrote:just got mine from SSP, 2 sets for $65 (each set) and $20 postage (for both)

What does the Fuel Pump Relay do ... ???
It controls the high to low pulse on the fuel pump during cruise to WOT operation.
If it fails then you will run dangerously lean and could cause serious damage to your motor.

I can only assume that you "DID" replace them and the New Fuel Relay has Failed :shock: or you may have accidentally replaced the wrong relay meaning the faulty relay has always been in place until now.

Remove the "Fuel Pump" Relay (black relay in Blue Square in 2nd pic) and shake it as you did 4yrs ago to hear if it sounds like a Salt Shaker.
If it does, then there is the culprit & consequent cause of your engine failure.
Image ... Image

Fuel Pump Relay 1 @ Position A-27X (Thick Black Arrow) ... Pink Square in 2nd pic.
Image ... Image
Sam ..... *thumb*
Merlinised MIVEC - AspiRe 2.4L

blinklight
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby blinklight » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:44 am

Seb, from what you posted above I'm reading that you only pay the excess if they accept the claim :)
Annie's Merlinised Red Devil

SEB15
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby SEB15 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:04 pm

Yes, indeed Sam, got them replaced back than, checked the relay as well yesterday and seems to be fine. What got me is this is the 3rd time when that spark plug let go, and noticed only after i hit the limiter (by mistake of course ) in less than maybe 20-30k km. Got in touch with Adam (beeble) and he said is pretty wired that the 3rd one let go and not the 4th, also told me to check the injector in 3rd
Been a few hectic days with a lot of reading and research, i do really hope the insurance will go ahead and fix it other wise i'll just cancel the rego cos the replacement is not gonna happen any time soon :(

SEB15
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby SEB15 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:21 pm

blinklight wrote:Seb, from what you posted above Im reading that you only pay the excess if they accept the claim :)

That's what i thought to, asked a few people yesterday to make sure, and they said same thing... like i said last few days it's been pretty crazy with maybe 10 hours of sleep (combined). I do really hope it goes thru issuance. Also is scheduled a compression test today. I will keep it update

Latino_Ralliart
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Latino_Ralliart » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:07 pm

Really hope they pay out... Find it amazing if they do considering its not what comprehensive car insurance is for. The claims officer must be on ice.

You only pay excess once assessor accepts the claim. If they don't you don't pay a cent.

Quixand
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Quixand » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:49 pm

isn't this covered by the 10 year Powertrain warranty from Mitsubishi?

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:12 pm

Good point about the Powertrain warranty.

zedd82
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby zedd82 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:40 am

I had my engine rebuilt by insurance a few years ago after it sucked water into the intake.
They will usually rebuild the engine rather than replace it as otherwise the engine number wouldn't match the car and could hurt your resale/trade value later down the track. My rebuild cost the insurance over $14K and a new engine from Mitsubishi was only about $7K.
Club CJ's fastest and most powerful Ralliart 349.8kw/ 469hp atw 12.068s 187km/h

SEB15
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby SEB15 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:08 pm

zedd82 wrote:I had my engine rebuilt by insurance a few years ago after it sucked water into the intake. They will usually rebuild the engine rather than replace it as otherwise the engine number wouldnt match the car and could hurt your resale/trade value later down the track. My rebuild cost the insurance over $14K and a new engine from Mitsubishi was only about $7K.

Just hope they won't write it off, if that's the case :( i heard if the repair value is more than 50% car is a write off. Might be wrong

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:59 pm

Many years ago my coupe was so close to being written off, yes I think the line is 50%. Not sure if you have an option to buy it back and then get the work done yourself at probably a cheaper rate than they can offer, if you know a mechanic.

Return to “General Talk”