***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

my poor baby :(

Start a Topic! Have Your Say & Talk About Anything.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Azza_07
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

my poor baby :(

Postby Azza_07 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:29 pm

So yesterday my brother was driving to Sydney in my car (im a nice brother as his car is in the middle of getting insured and pink slipped) going to a sleeping with sirens concert. Him and his GF were coming up to some traffic lights and ran up the back of a mini ute. now this is where its hazy as he said the guy put on his brakes very suddenly and my car brakes had locked up and he said he was at least 2secs away from the car when driving, so whether he was speeding himself or the guy did slam on his brakes im not sure, but whats done is done.
Luckily i'm insured and his on as my 2nd driver, atm its gonna cost about $1200 excess. or so.

About a year ago i brought a evo x style from bumper from mars performance and installed it, about 6 months ago i brought myself new halo projection headlights also from mars performance, the front bumper is screwed :( and the headlights are a little scratched with marks but not cracks.(im surprised) and about a week ago i brought 4 new tyre/wheel combo from ozzy tyres and man they didnt even get a scratch.

The metal front reinforement bar is bent and the right side panel above the wheel near my window is bent as well.

my bonnet is bent to hell too, (maybe this gives me the sense to get a carbon fibre one now :P)

(sorry if this doesn't make a lot of sense, i'll fix it up when i get home tonight)
my question is: How bad do you think this is, and how much do you reckon it would cost to get fixed.

(the liquid spot in the picture is NOT from my car)

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:17 pm

IMO if it's drivable it's fixable but thats up to your insurance company.

Clearly it needs some new panels and a bumper and that reinforcement bar needs some work. Given the after market parts you might need to negotiate something if you plan on using no genuine parts, but ironically they could be cheaper than the parts from Mitsy.

Better ask your brother how he managed to locked up a modern car with ABS and new tires?
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

Viking
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Viking » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:59 pm

What Craig said.

And yeah, how do you lock up the wheels on a car with ABS?

ashleymorris
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby ashleymorris » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:15 pm

Ouchh
I dunno man
When we were fixing up a mirage that bar was bent and it was pretty damn hard to try and fix it. In the end we didn't even bother because it's usually pretty thick steel.

It didn't crack the aircon or radiator?

Azza_07
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Azza_07 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:36 pm

ashleymorris wrote:Ouchh I dunno man When we were fixing up a mirage that bar was bent and it was pretty damn hard to try and fix it. In the end we didnt even bother because its usually pretty thick steel. It didnt crack the aircon or radiator?

No idea how he did it, and not got it looked out with a mechanic and everything was fine.

Azza_07
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Azza_07 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:39 pm

Lancer1993 wrote:IMO if its drivable its fixable but thats up to your insurance company. Clearly it needs some new panels and a bumper and that reinforcement bar needs some work. Given the after market parts you might need to negotiate something if you plan on using no genuine parts, but ironically they could be cheaper than the parts from Mitsy. Better ask your brother how he managed to locked up a modern car with ABS and new tires?

yeah i was thinking that, im just waiting to see.

i don't know, ill be ringing the other guy tomorrow to find out his story of the whole thing.

Mitch
Alumni
Alumni

Postby Mitch » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:44 pm

let Insurance take care of the accident and let them sort the damage of the cars being the reinforcement bar dont think that will be unrepairable but they will or should be able to replace all the damaged parts with new bits.

Azza_07
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Azza_07 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:38 pm

Mitch wrote:let Insurance take care of the accident and let them sort the damage of the cars being the reinforcement bar dont think that will be unrepairable but they will or should be able to replace all the damaged parts with new bits.

yeah i plan on doing that, I'll be nice if they would give me the exact bumper :P it was so much nice looking compared to the standard bumpers

kay christensen
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby kay christensen » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:27 am

same here how do u lock up wheels on a modern car with ABS? older car i can understand ( as some slammed on the skids due to taxi stopping in front of him and i went up the back of him road was wet too had no ABS and i just skidded) got let off with a warning when i was on my Ps
No matter where you are, whether it's a quarter mile or half way across the world, you'll always be with me and always be my BROTHER - Dominic Toretto. RIPPaulWalker
(cj-red)

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:06 am

I've had it lock for a split second and only on loose surface like dirt but the point is ABS on dry hard road should not lock up.

Is he used to driving ABS cars? First time I braked hard and felt the pulse trough the peddle I backed off which is not what you do in an ABS car. In the old coupe I've had it lock up a few times and yes that's when you get off the brakes and back on so it doesn't slide off into other cars.

But it could not have been a hard hit as some minor crashes can write off a car very easily and I guess the airbags didn't go off?

Azza_07
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Azza_07 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:24 pm

Lancer1993 wrote:Ive had it lock for a split second and only on loose surface like dirt but the point is ABS on dry hard road should not lock up. Is he used to driving ABS cars? First time I braked hard and felt the pulse trough the peddle I backed off which is not what you do in an ABS car. In the old coupe Ive had it lock up a few times and yes thats when you get off the brakes and back on so it doesnt slide off into other cars. But it could not have been a hard hit as some minor crashes can write off a car very easily and I guess the airbags didnt go off?

No his never had a car with ABS, His only used my car couple of times, and no the air bags didn't go off

SEB15
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby SEB15 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:45 pm

If i was you i will pay the excess and let the insurance company to deal with it, the repairers will cost way over $1200 and also you will get warranty for the job! Doesn't look like a write off

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:53 pm

I agree, and if they plan on paying for new headlights then take those ones off the car or get the repairer to hold on to them if they still work.

darren1011
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby darren1011 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:39 am

Air bags won't realy go off until 40kmh crash, doesn't look as bad as mine was, mine was a corner, bonnet, headlight, guard, bar. They always replace the front bar reo just in case. Mine was 3700, the washer bottle tends to get broken easily and gets included, looks like you've got busted horns etc, probs about the same as mine once it's painted. These things are like paper

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:42 am

Still better the bumper and a few minor parts take a bashing that the engine be hit which would most likely wright the car off.

Return to “General Talk”