***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Myra's minor service - non-warrantable clutch...!

Start a Topic! Have Your Say & Talk About Anything.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Zaphod
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Myra's minor service - non-warrantable clutch...!

Postby Zaphod » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:24 pm

Took Myra in for a minor service today - took four hours!

After reading some of the posts on here, I told the service dude that going from third to fourth under load, the clutch seems to slip (it doesn't do it often) and that there was a clunk from the rear suspension when there was a side-to-side weight transfer (there isn't every time)

They came back to me after the service and told me that the clutch-slip wouldnt be covered under warranty as it would need a gearbox oil change and service which would cost $830 and that it needed to be done at 50,000Km!

They also said that the clunk from the rear was due to the reversing sensor beeper being loose... they didnt seem to spot that the RHS rear sway bar D bush has opened up slightly (the guy at Bridgestone pointed it out to me - apparently its fine), but wouldnt you think the supposedly Ralliart-trained mechanic would have...???

Hmmm....
Last edited by Zaphod on Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The Human species has now evolved to the point where we only have two natural predators; ourselves and peanuts..."

el3ment
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby el3ment » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:27 pm

WTF... a slipping clutch wouldn't be covered under warranty? Its still under warranty isn't it? And why would they wait until 50,000km if its already slipping, causing more issues. I don't get that... You sure you heard that right?

And yeah, I don't trust Mitsubishi mechanics at the slightest....
AK 3" Single tip exhaust | 18x9 CST Zero 1 Hyper wheels |BC-BR Coilovers | UR UICP | Synapse DV | 3-pod A-Pillar | Adj. rear camber & toe arms | AK Aluminium undertray

Zaphod
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Zaphod » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:51 pm

ooh yeah Thorsten, I asked him to repeat it... unless the $830 service is done, Mitsubishi won't warrant the gearbox/clutch...

I'm going to send them an email asking them to clarify it.

I'm gonna have fun with this... :-)
"The Human species has now evolved to the point where we only have two natural predators; ourselves and peanuts..."

el3ment
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby el3ment » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:24 pm

Zaphod wrote:ooh yeah Thorsten, I asked him to repeat it... unless the $830 service is done, Mitsubishi wont warrant the gearbox/clutch... Im going to send them an email asking them to clarify it. Im gonna have fun with this... :-)

Good luck with that. So what service did it just have? A clutch is a wear out item, but if it slips that early on in its live, then that should be a warranty job
AK 3" Single tip exhaust | 18x9 CST Zero 1 Hyper wheels |BC-BR Coilovers | UR UICP | Synapse DV | 3-pod A-Pillar | Adj. rear camber & toe arms | AK Aluminium undertray

Zaphod
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Zaphod » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:56 pm

I would have thought if falls under the general five-year warranty - unlike a normal clutch, there's no input from th driver to cause 'unplanned' wear...

turbogirl
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby turbogirl » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:16 pm

This is not right :-/ they didn't even offer to update the SST program? This is normally first step for RA's with any SST issues as it's the cheapest option.

So they took a sample of your SST Diagueen oil? You can ask for a sample for yourself, it's also possible to get independent testing on it too but requires it being sent away.

What makes them say it's the oil?

I can't understand why their not covering it unless it's something to do with second owner or servicing logs.

Feel free to get second opinion Martin something serious is amiss here. Springwood is not to far from you and my old RA mechanic moved there apparently (young fella named rob). Or take a drive out my way to yamanto and get taken more seriously ? I can pick you up for coffee :-)
turbogirl
Member's Liaison Officer
Executive Team

In debt and loving it

SEB15
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby SEB15 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:34 pm

That's crazy! Same thing here, in Mackay, went the other day with some questions and i left more confused than i walked in.
Went to ask for a price for the 100K service and she (yes was a she) couldn't tell what was the cost for the service, and she asked me for rego no, checked in her sistem and told me my car already had 105k service o.O
Told her my car wasn't there since 40k service, after they brake a hose breather from SST and forgot to put the clips back on the bonnet rubber seal also i told her the SST was playing up once shifting from 4th to 6th, told her i've run diagnostics with a MUT3 nothing came up and i got no errors....
She said i should bring the car in to get it checked, asked her how much will be, she said $70 for the use of the MUT3 and we go from there... I was gonna say i already did that and start a rant, but i just said i will think about it and left!

himynameisdaniel
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby himynameisdaniel » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:35 pm

unlike a normal clutch, there\'s no input from th driver to cause \'unplanned\' wear...

Quite incorrect. That Auto tranny is designed to slip. quite excessively i might add. as that is the only way to maintain a smooth and shift free feel operation.

Slushboxes are flawed in this very way by their own design.
You can either be slammed to and from gears and have it last an eternity or you can have the clutches slip constantly so that you don\'t feel anything.

we all know that having high slippage causes more heat and wear.
which means the fluid gets worn out quicker and the cycle continues.

himynameisdaniel
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby himynameisdaniel » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:45 pm

Sorry im assuming its SST if not please ignore my post.

Zaphod
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Zaphod » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:11 pm

turbo girl wrote:...Or take a drive out my way to yamanto and get taken more seriously ? I can pick you up for coffee :-) ...

May take you up on that next week Jade if you're around - probably not doing much else...

Honestly, there's not really a problem, just heard/felt it slip a few times, always under load and when changing up... haven't noticed it in Sports mode, only Normal.

SEB15 wrote:...i left more confused than i walked in...

That's Mackay for ya! :-) - might be up there in a couple of weeks if you wanna catch up...

himynameisdaniel wrote:Sorry im assuming its SST if not please ignore my post.

Yeah, SST...

turbogirl
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby turbogirl » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:24 pm

I work from home Martin and out only for meetings etc. Yamanto will be booked out for about 2 weeks in advance

Was thinking it might me friction plates. I've had mine replaced before new SST. Is it more when warmed up or cold? Manual or auto? Only when changing up and under load? If it's not bad and your oil is ok program update might do it.
turbogirl

Member's Liaison Officer

Executive Team

In debt and loving it

SEB15
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby SEB15 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:01 am

[/quote] Thats Mackay for ya! :-) - might be up there in a couple of weeks if you wanna catch [/quote]
Sure. Just let mw know when :D

mcpondy
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby mcpondy » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:00 am

Where did you take it for the service? Was it Von Bibra?

My old man used to own a VRX with a six stacker, after 3 years a disc got stuck in it. They removed the stacker and put in a single disc player and said the warranty was only 3 yrs on the cd player. That's what he told me anyways.

They sound dodgey as.

As I've mentioned before, Toowong Mitsubishi are awesome, highly recommended, although a little too far from you maybe.

JustinR
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JustinR » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:04 am

Hang on a second..

Zaphod wrote:Took Myra in for a minor service today - took four hours! After reading some of the posts on here, I told the service dude that going from third to fourth under load, the clutch seems to slip (it doesnt) and that there was a clunk from the rear suspension when there was a side-to-side weight transfer (there isnt)

Why do I get the feeling you are trying to get a warranty repair when theres nothing actually wrong? (Not to sound rude or anything, just trying to better understand)
Last edited by JustinR on Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zaphod
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Zaphod » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:10 am

Keep reading :-)
Last edited by Zaphod on Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Talk”