***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Help with Smash Repairs Lancer VRX CJ 09 2009

Start a Topic! Have Your Say & Talk About Anything.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Mecanico
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Help with Smash Repairs Lancer VRX CJ 09 2009

Postby Mecanico » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:38 pm

Hi, have my Lancer for repairing front bumper since it was smashed.

The NRMA took me to a place and these guys seems to have difficulties with putting back the new bumper.

It appears that there is a huge gap on the right side of the bumper but the other side fits well.

Anyone knows the correct process to adjust these bumpers?
Would Mitsubishi Australia have engineers you can talk to and perhaps there are tricks in getting and re aligning the bumper?

R4LLI4RT
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby R4LLI4RT » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:41 pm

make sure they are using mitsu parts
if they are using some aftermarket suff fitment will be an issue
3Inch Custom Cat Back Exhaust
Home Brand Alloy UICP
DBA Slotted and Drilled Rotors
K&N Panel Filter Replacement
DBA Extreme Pads
Turbosmart Dual Port BOV
Tein S Tech Springs
Painted Calipers (Makes it look faster) ;-)

Zaphod
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Zaphod » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:02 pm

If there's a gap at one side, either:

a) it's not a genuine Mitsubishi bumper and is badly made, or

b) the impact from the collision has pushed one side of the front-quarter panel back, or even worse the sub-frame is bent (but it's doubtful this has happened unless it was a big hit...)

Either way, don't accept it until it's right, and if you're in doubt, get it checked by someone when it's given back to you...
"The Human species has now evolved to the point where we only have two natural predators; ourselves and peanuts..."

Mecanico
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Mecanico » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:45 am

Thanks, yes, you are correct, it is only a gap on the right side (looking at the car from the front).
No, it was not a big impact at all.

That is what I told them, how come that one side is ok and the other is not?
Unless they just replaced the bumper without looking at other things or they do not have the repair manual.
I cannot locate the PDF that I used to have. This is a Lancer manual for body repair only with all dimensions,etc,etc.
I think the NRMA should look who they do biz with, since I am following their recommendations.................

Mecanico
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Mecanico » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:28 pm

Thanks, after looking to many back ups, I found the Mitsubishi manual (PDF) with every single detail.
I will take this to the smash repair place and see if they get it............

Mecanico
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Mecanico » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:23 pm

EPILOG

Guys, for what I am about to tell, you can do two things believe or not to believe. After all you do not know me. The point is I do not want anyone to suffer what I have gone through for the past 6 weeks.

You would have read all the messages above. What followed those has been two weeks of incredible incompetence and I am starting to wonder if NRMA is no longer the company that used to be.
They appear to have changed lots and the fact they have these preferred repairers that cannot do a job when there is a simple smash, it really worries me quite a lot.

The smash shop in question is Garry Flynn in Kirrawee,NSW. In this area NRMA has two preferred repairers. G&S and them. I had bad experience with G&S ( see posting under EXTERIOR in 2012) and now this one.

So in a nutshell, the VRX suffered a front left impact. Bumper needed to change, bonnet fix and that was all.
After more than a week, on a Friday afternoon, I got a phone call from Garry Flynn shop saying that they were having problems with putting it back together since big gaps were on both head lights. I said that I had that problem before with G&S but in the end they fixed perfectly well, I also said that if I could I would fix it but I am not an expert. The person that rang said that they would continue trying and would let me know. Just in case, the following Monday I decided to rock up with my laptop that had the photos of the car when it was ok (before accident) to prove how it should look. Also had the Lancer factory repair manual so they could look at every single detail. After that, towards the end of that week I got a call saying that the car was ready. When I had a look at the car I almost had a heart attack. The bumper was swagging and I could put my finger all around the head lights with enormous gaps. With the little finger on the left side I could make the side panel to come off. The bonnet was not properly aligned and the right light fitting was protruding out of its place (not flash with the perimeter of the panel).
We had a bit of a heated discussion and decided to get the NRMA involved. The following week the NRMA assessor met me, my wife and my young son studying mechanical engineering ( I am en electronic engineer I do know electronic in cars, I am not that stupid) but the attitude of NRMA got me. It was all about what I was "unhappy" with. I contested is not a question of happiness but to do the job properly. The NRMA guy said why did you not take the car again to G&S, you put a complaint in 2012. Yes, I said, don't you have your records of what happened there? Do you think that I want to go back after that experience? In the meantime, my son had look underneath the car and found that the bottom panel had bolts missing and hanging on one side. The grill (black front) was totally loose on one side and clips were missing as well. After that the guy from NRMA gave me his card and very clearly told me " I will call you".
The following Friday I got a call from the smash repair shop (not the NRMA guys that promised to call and had given me the I will call you thing) saying the car was ready. Once again I marched in with the wife and my son. The car was worse. Now in the many attempts to do something they had scratched the bumper panel on the left side, had bent up part of the upper side panel covering the head light and lost the paint, and misaligned. The bolts my son had discovered last week missing, were still missing. Only the bonnet had been re aligned. I told the NRMA that this was the third attempt and I wanted the car be taken off to another place. The NRMA assessor boss was involved in the end and tried to convince me that the car was ok. I went to Mitsubishi Greenacre and asked permission to take photos in the showroom, after explaining them the situation. I thank the Greenacre Mitsubishi group for having been courteous and the advice given.
After that I sent these photos to NRMA.
This past Friday I went to pick the car and now I have it.
But, yes, like in the old TV sales commercials, there is more !

When I took the car for first time, it had a bit more than a quarter tank of petrol. Also just after the accident, I had to wait two weeks for putting the car into repairs and the lights were working (Philps 4600K HB4 Halogen).
Driving out had a warning from the computer since the tank was empty.
Looking at the log book (I do a km log book for my job so I can claim legally to ATO) and the car had done 30 to 50 kms more since I put it in. Did they take it somewhere else???? Mystery.........
Last night found that they had change the low beam lamp ( I do not know why because as I said it was working) and now have two colours. They did not fit the Philips HB4 Halogen..................
I SMS mobile to mobile to the NRMA guy and told them lots of things........
Do you think, that after being a member for 30 years they would have said, ok, we will pay for the lamp or something? NO !!!!!!!!

Again, guys, you can either believe me or not. It is up to you.

I only hope that no one who likes his/her car, Lancer or not, has to go into an experience like this.

Have you all a great weekend.

himynameisdaniel
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby himynameisdaniel » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:25 pm

Sorry to hear about it.
I try to make sure that i have choice of repairer when having insurance.

Too much time is wasted when repairers do not do a decent job.
I'd rather pay extra on the insurance premium knowing that my car will be fixed in 1-3 weeks with genuine OEM parts.
and that's including shipping of parts from overseas and painting!

I also receive a summary of all parts with their respective part numbers and the cost breakdown that will get sent to my insurer.
and if any non-oem parts were used then i am advised and shown where.
I am also required to sign or initial on any non OEM parts and any items that were not fixed because they are still within manufacturers specification but are showing signs of degradation (eg shocks, brake pads, discs, etc) or if only one of the pair was replaced.

Dire
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Dire » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:14 pm

I believe you but that seems ridiculous...

So many tiny things that should be simple for a repairer...

Can you put up a picture or two of the headlight/bumper area?

Return to “General Talk”