***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

QLD police: GPS technology to track and store number plates

Start a Topic! Have Your Say & Talk About Anything.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

shadow-vex
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

QLD police: GPS technology to track and store number plates

Postby shadow-vex » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:02 pm

was on facebook, when I came across this article,
( http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/quee ... 6708605441 ) and it explains how in QLD police are scanning number plates and storing the number plate and its gps postion in a database for 1yr and 1day.

So in the article it explains how it is a breech of civil rights and the police say its to help stop crime as they will be able to find witnesses that were in the area of the crime. So im wondering if this is a worth while thing for all states to take up (as its in trail atm.), if not why?

just curious to see what you guys think, as I think tax payers money could go towards something more useful, because this means the cop car needs to be at the scene to get the number plates, and how often does someone commit an offence, such as theft, robbery, etc, etc, in front of a cop car

sleeper
Alumni
Alumni

Postby sleeper » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:04 pm

i think youll find that NSW is the same deal
210 KWATW 400nm RALLIART Virtual Dyno 1/1
http://goo.gl/GrUosm

shadow-vex
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby shadow-vex » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:07 pm

sleeper wrote:i think youll find that NSW is the same deal

nsw prob does have the same thing going on now, just not in the media...which really is stupid
Boost life scrambles the brain

Skydiver21
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Skydiver21 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:09 pm

This technology has been around for quite sometime and is in use one qld, nsw and vic and wa......it will also be installed at every major airport here in Australia for security and safety.

I think it's a good thing, the data base can be loded to look for specific plates of interest.....for example is a vehicle is unregistered, or the registered owner has a suspended licence or if the driver/vehicle is wanted for questioning for a suspect for a crime. Pretty handy too if you car or plates have been stolen the camera will pick this up.

It's the usual thing here, if you nothing to hide what's the concern? Your plate is out there for everyone to see anyway, what privacy does that invade?

I live in Victoria and have seen the system in action, it may save the date time and place when reading the plate which has an alert, but does not tell Police any owner details ......that's a separate check that must be done should any further investigation be required. Banks store more personal information than most third parties but people tend not to complain as they give them money.....

The data is kept for court purposes, should you be committing an offence, like any evidence, it will be kept on record til the matter has been finalized.

As I said I think it's very good, I drove past one yesterday twice, keep your nose clean and obey the laws....then life is easy.

Skydiver21
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Skydiver21 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:11 pm

One other thing, the system does not track your plate, it just records the place it was checked.....it does not follow you around lol. It just reads your plate

shadow-vex
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby shadow-vex » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:20 pm

Skydiver21 wrote:This technology has been around for quite sometime and is in use one qld, nsw and vic and wa......it will also be installed at every major airport here in Australia for security and safety. I think its a good thing, the data base can be loded to look for specific plates of interest.....

yeah I know tht much, and I think its a good thing, and dnt have concerns about privacy, just think its silly for them to say "track down witnesses" when in reality how often will they be able to do that, as no one will break into a house, with a cop on tht street, for the cop car to detect the plates of driving vehicles on said street/road. (if tht makes sense)

Skydiver21
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Skydiver21 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:45 pm

I see what your saying mate. I will give you a seario though....

Offender commits a crime, say they rob a sore.....drive off in a vehicle on a busy road......people inside the store don't see what car the offender leaves in as most people would be not keen on following an offender outside to see what direction or what means he or she uses to make their escape.

As the offender departs they drive through a plate recognition camera as do other road users at the time. The plate is recorded but it's on a stolen car.....the car being driven is a blue commodore but the plates are from a white lancer. So police have the plate, but no idea what the actual car is, it would come up as a white lancer. A witness on the road at the same time might be able to inform Police it was actually a blue commodore seen at that time.....the system just provides data not photos.

The cameras are static and vehicle mounted.

Does that explain it more?

shadow-vex
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby shadow-vex » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:01 pm

yeah tht makes sense, so there are stationary (mounted) cams and vehicle cams (the ones used to detect rego plates) ?

Skydiver21
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Skydiver21 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:06 pm

Yes and yes, some are mounted on over head bridges and gantries, and others mounted on vehicles such as police cars, sherif cars, taxi directorate vehicles and also others like the RTA and Vic roads cars....

shadow-vex
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby shadow-vex » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:08 pm

now if tht was only said in the article it would make it sound like such a better idea

Skydiver21
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Skydiver21 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:26 pm

A journalist who knows everything? The media reporting the facts? As if....most articles are written to create emotion and get a reaction, usually negative.....keeps people reading and sucks them in.

shadow-vex
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby shadow-vex » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:34 pm

thts true, media never gives full stories or truths... maybe one day

Neon
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Neon » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:13 am

I actually like the idea of it, helps keep repeat offenders off the road and also helps track stolen cars/plates better so that people might actually get their sh*t back
Sold the Pulsar, Bought a 98 CE MR lancer, sold that and bought a 97 CE MR Lancer
Sold my Volvo 850r Turbo Wagon
Still haven't bought a CJ :D

lancerdarryl
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby lancerdarryl » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:08 am

It isn't really a problem if you are doing nothing illegal,unless you are really paranoid *smokin*
Evolution X MR+ Lancer VRX Sportback +LA Lancer GSR
"Don't back off until you hit something"

sleeper
Alumni
Alumni

Postby sleeper » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:01 am

i saw on 4 corners also that they track your phone via special bluetooth receptors as u drive along.

now thats scary.
210 KWATW 400nm RALLIART Virtual Dyno 1/1

http://goo.gl/GrUosm

Return to “General Talk”