***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Tyres that passed rwc

Start a Topic! Have Your Say & Talk About Anything.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

porkkrop
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Tyres that passed rwc

Postby porkkrop » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:04 pm

Hi everyone, this afternoon i drove away from the dealership with with my new car and at the time i didnt realise that 3 of the tyres are fairly worn the outsides are good but there is little tyre tread on them and the 1 tyre is in great condition practically new. I have seen on the safety certificate that the tyres has passed inspection. My question is what can actually be done? Will the dealership replace the tyres at no cost to me? Or is it my bad luck?

I will be going there tomorrow so i was just seeing what ur opinions are.

Thanks

Dire
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Dire » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:10 pm

Its your responsibility to inspect the vehicle before you take possession of it...

However if it is a 'new' lancer, then you could probably argue it should be in new condition. Also if its new I'd be very concerned by worn tyres.

robert43
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby robert43 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:36 pm

He said in another post its a 2010 Lancer so I guess new to him why didnt you look at tyres when you were buying it . With a s/hand car its 1 of the 1st things I look at along with rego mileage & age where its in a yard or private.
The 4th 1 was probley the spare tyre

Kal777
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Kal777 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:26 am

since you have already taken possession then there is nothing much you can do. you signed the paperwork for it. i had a mate that had the same thing happen to him only difference was that his tyres were bold and not roadworthy and got them to replace them because they legally can not sell an unroadworthy car
Injen Cold Air Intake/K&N Invert Pod/BC BR Coilovers/Whiteline Strut Brace/DrIft Blade seats/Penrite HPR5/Penrite ProGear/PBR Gold Dot

LZY_EYE
Genius
Genius

Postby LZY_EYE » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:11 am

Have you called the dealer?

This is what should be done first and foremost before asking for help.

They sold it to you, and you need to give them the opportunity to rectify the issue first.

If, this doesn't resolve the issue, then perhaps you could contact your local regulation body MTA or the like. They will most likely want things like he date of the roadworthy certificate, and pictures of the tyres with tread measurements.

porkkrop
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby porkkrop » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:43 am

i have asked for opinions as the dealers were closed at the time of noticing the tyres. i called the dealer this morning and there is nothing that can be done from their part as i signed the paperwork driven off and the rwc has passed inspection. i will be considering my next move but most likely bad luck on my part. thanks to all that have weighed in

jonno2012es
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby jonno2012es » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:54 am

It is a shame mate. However, coming from a dealership perspective if the car has passed roadworthy and you have signed for it as soon as you drive off the lot nothing else can really be done. One way I might suggest is to take it to a tyre shop and ask their opinion whether the tyres are roadworthy or not.

I have worked in a few dealerships and have found that if you have bought it from a big dealership (Zupps, Norris Motor Group, Torque Group etc) you may be able to get it done by complaining enough, provided the tyres are on the edge of being roadworthy or not.

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to PM me, I will try to help as much as possible.
Low 'N' Slow.

LZY_EYE
Genius
Genius

Postby LZY_EYE » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:31 am

Take it and get a 2nd opinion, if they prove that the tyres are not legal, then I would be going back with the certificate to the dealer. If the car was passed if it is indeed not roadworthy, then the inspector can get in a lot of trouble.

BZC-45S
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby BZC-45S » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:10 pm

Buying a new (or second hand) car should leave you with pleasant feelings. These sort of things definitely dampen one's enthusiasm of the whole sale/ownership process.

I'm sure the above posters are correct - that you may wish to pursue the issue with the dealer proving you have the law on your side, however the hassles you will endue, and the time you will have to sacrifice to do so, may not be worth the end result. ie. it's not like they're going to give you a set of brand new tyres of OEM brand as fitted new to the car - they will likely give you the crappiest of Chinese/Korean/yumcha cheap pieces of crap that turns dry pavement into slip'n'slide, as long as there's tread above the minimum 1.5mm spec.

It may be a bitter pill to swallow, but you should just inform the dealership of your disppointment, fill out their customer satisfaction surveys to reflect this, and go and buy yourself a decent set of rubber as your life depends on it. In the grand scheme of things, given the cost of the car - an additional few hundred for tyres is nothing really (which will last you for a few years at least, if not the entire length of you owning the car - given how often the average person owns/changes cars).

squala
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby squala » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:06 pm

Is it roadworthy to have three nearly worn tyres and one almost new? I don't think that this is a very healthy setup to be honest. You want to check that as well.
///// /////
7 airbags
6-speed SST
5-star safety
4-wheel drive
3-diamond badge
2 overhead cams
1 awesome ride
0 demerit points and gutter rash

SEB15
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby SEB15 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:39 am

Yes... go back to the dealer and make them to replace them, but first find out if they are RW, if they are not make them to change them, they can't really argue with you, you sign the papers which on that paper work has date and ODO reading, so they can't really say they sold you the car with good tyres and you come back with bolt ones.
Also there IS NOT "you should inspect the car before you get in possession/buy it"! Not all the people are mechanics or with some car knowledge! that's why the cars should get inspected by a mechanic before you buy it!

porkkrop
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby porkkrop » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:00 pm

Over the xmas/new year break i got a second opinion and as it turns out the tyres were roadworthy ranging at about 2.2mm - 2.6mm and just left it at that. I just assumed they should be more like new one but nonetheless it was my own fault for not being thorough and a valuable lesson learned. Anyhow i went and got 4 new ones and the place I went to bought the 1 good tyre off me and took that off the total price. Ok so thanks everyone

debonaire
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby debonaire » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:35 am

You guys are ridiculous, sorry porkkrop but you haven't got a leg to stand on.

You should have checked the car before you bought it. Tyres are not included under statutory warranty for obvious reasons, you can't roll up the next day and complain about their wear. Even if you get the tyres judged to be unroadworthy today, that means sweet bugger all.

You could have gone mad and shredded them to bits overnight, or you could have even swapped off perfectly good tyres and put on worn ones yourself to try and con the dealer.

Return to “General Talk”