***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

HDMI CABLES

Start a Topic! Have Your Say & Talk About Anything.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Bags
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

HDMI CABLES

Postby Bags » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:48 am

Hello all, just wanting to know if there is any major difference in a 2m hdmi cable that costs me $5.00 or a $40.00 one from the shop? Just need to connect from a VGA converter to LCD tv. Cheers!

Meaty
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby Meaty » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:15 pm

i had a $5 one spare which my inlaws borrowed for their new 3d 65 inch led tv .... every 30 secs to 5 mins it would black out for 2 seconds then come back with a picture ... due to the cheap hdmi cable not having enough bandwidth throughput .....

now with a expensive hdmi cable that no longer happens.

Syke
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Syke » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:45 pm

i just use the $20 ones from EB game stores. they go on sale alot too. i havent had any issues with any of them yet.
Syke
One step closer to owning an Evo

Google Is Your Friend! Learn to embrace it...
Check Out My Garage
http://clubcj.net/garage.php?mode=view_vehicle&CID=1054

Bags
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Bags » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:53 pm

Hmm. Well I may hang out for a eb special!

The X
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby The X » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:06 pm

Bags wrote:Hello all, just wanting to know if there is any major difference in a 2m hdmi cable that costs me $5.00 or a $40.00 one from the shop? Just need to connect from a VGA converter to LCD tv. Cheers!

Simple answer, mostly no, sometimes yes.
The "sometimes yes" situation is if the cable is made of woefully inferior copper quality, poorly or not shielded or the 20 wires of copper in the cable are "too thin" leading to issues of signal attenuation (loss) along the run of the cable, however the attenuation problem wont be as apparent on short runs of cable... I use $7 ones from Ebay and apart from a dicky connector, no issues. They are only 1.5m long but ample for my needs.

However you said VGA converter to HDMI. VGA is an analog signal, pretty average quality, you're not going to get any benefit from up-scaling an "analog" signal to HDMI. Most LCD TVs have DVI or VGA input ports. Save your pennies and just go VGA to VGA if possible.

Meaty wrote:i had a $5 one spare which my inlaws borrowed for their new 3d 65 inch led tv .... every 30 secs to 5 mins it would black out for 2 seconds then come back with a picture ... due to the cheap hdmi cable not having enough bandwidth throughput ..... now with a expensive hdmi cable that no longer happens.

Sounds like the cheapy you had was really cheapy. Not due to "lack of bandwidth" it's just copper wire at the end of the day, but probably poor/non-existent shielding, where a transient electro magnetic disturbance would be enough to disturb the "clocking" signal and cause the signal "dropouts" you observed. You probably observed periods of pixelation bursts too, no doubt.
"the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear"
More pix @ http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?t=8779
ImageImage

Bags
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Bags » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:04 pm

Hi Pete, my tv has one hdmi in and one RCA and Rgb only. I need to buy a converter and the cable I think to connect.

ijustatecurry
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby ijustatecurry » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:32 pm

Depending where you are in Melb head to one of MSY, CPL or Centrecom. Cables (and everything else) are extremely cheap and are your stock standard gold coated tip affair. Bought multiple cables from there and all have worked without issue
All bleeding stops eventually!

Marek
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Marek » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:35 pm

I've been buying the cheapest HDMI cables from eBay for many years now. No problems at all. I've bought maybe 15-20 types of cables, adapters online over the years. I've seen the exact same cables being sold in stores for $50-120, while I pay between $1-10 online (depends on length)...

Even if they're more inclined to become faulty, which they're not, paying another $5 every few years to get them replaced is nothing!

turbogirl
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby turbogirl » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:43 pm

I've had cheap ones and an expensive one, no noticable difference
turbogirl
Member's Liaison Officer
Executive Team

In debt and loving it

Return to “General Talk”