***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Is it worth getting a strut bar?

Start a Topic! Have Your Say & Talk About Anything.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

LZY_EYE
Genius
Genius

Postby LZY_EYE » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:25 pm

They will take the car for a drive. Just after you pick it up drive and make sure that the wheel is straight.

Also tell them that the car has been following the lines in the road a lot. They can actually align the car to compensate for the natural camber in the road.

Don't be scared to take it back to them if you are not happy, and also make sure all your tyre pressures are correct before the alignment.

Dire
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Dire » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:52 pm

This morning before I drove to work I softened the front damping and hardened the back...
It seems to have helped a bit. Pretty sure the problem is that the front damping was set too hard compared to the back but I'll make it a point to change them every morning to see. Might try the extremes to make the differences more obvious to me.
Another thing I've been finding is an odd weight shift diagonally across the car on gentle bends rather than just to the side. Might not sound like a big deal but its enough to almost give me a vertigo feeling sometimes. Softening the front seems to have helped that as well.

jesper
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby jesper » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:08 pm

Does anyone know the difference between the Whiteline top strut bar compared to the Ultra Racing or even the Alutec top strut bar, apart from the price difference?

Sushi
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Sushi » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:32 pm

*noob alert* but what does a strut bar actually do? I've seen them fitted n can gather they help with handling?

Dire
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Dire » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:38 pm

The UR bar is as simple as possible so its cheaper.
I had an Alutec bar and they're extremely light despite being a bit chunky looking. They're also good quality. Perhaps they're better value for money than Whiteline.

However when I bought my Alutec bar from RPW they didn't give me all the bits, so keep that in mind :P

If you're looking at RPW's website remember those prices don't include GST, and you'd have to pay for postage too (isn't it illegal to advertise prices without GST...? Lol)
The link to the Whiteline bar I posted further up is on a site that does free postage Australia-wide, so you pay what it says.

RennieJames
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby RennieJames » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:02 am

Well the one I bought as posted above is great but as I thought you can feel a difference but not to massive just enough for you to feel it. The strut bar i got was pretty expensive but that was the best one on ebay that i could find the delivered within a week ( I think because they are located in Brisbane and Sydney not 100% sure though ) but I wanted to put it on before the drive to Townsville on Sunday :P
Everything was in there when i opened it:
- Strut bar :P
- 6 washers for under the strut bar. ( if there is something else that is ment to be there let me know :P )
I can not recommend it yet as I've only had it for a couple of days but so far so good :D

- Rennie

jesper
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby jesper » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:38 pm

Thanks for the info Dire & RennieJames :)

Ectodestructo
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Ectodestructo » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:08 pm

I've been reading up on strut bars and will probably get one for the front tower and an adjustable one for the rear, thanks for all the input and opinions all. I'm probably picking up my Activ Sportback next week or so, and I reckon I'll drive that around for awhile to help me make up my mind. I'm not superstitious, but I really don't want to be ordering parts for a car that I don't even have with me yet, ha ha!

cj_sx_2011
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby cj_sx_2011 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:27 am

whoever still is unsure bout the strut brace, dont think so much about it its not an expensive mod, i think i got my ultra racing strut brace for 150 delivered,

i had the strut brace on before having coilovers, and i noticed a big difference in the the front and stiffing it up over bumps and around round-a-bouts and made a decent amount of difference in the hills to,

so highly recommended from me.

Edmi
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Edmi » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:57 am

I got the Ultra racing front strut bar like Ricky did and i'm amazed how much better the handling is and my car is not lowered. Definitely worth it for only $150 :D

CJVR08
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Re: Is it worth getting a strut bar?

Postby CJVR08 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:49 pm

Have to give positive feedback on Ultra racing :D

Return to “General Talk”