***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Is it worth getting a strut bar?

Start a Topic! Have Your Say & Talk About Anything.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

RMN116
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby RMN116 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:46 pm

Syke wrote:do you notice a big difference between the factory and aftermarket strut brace?

The stock strut bar is usually hollow where as the Ultra Racing strut bar is solid. Depending on how fast you take corners yes they make a difference.

GST Stock RA + Boost Pill Basemap v3.0
AMS Boost Pill
Evo XIII Metal ByPass Valve
Simota High-Flow Drop-In Air Filter

LZY_EYE
Genius
Genius

Postby LZY_EYE » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:28 am

The UR is hollow as well.

I helped scraverx install a whiteline to his RX, and the quality was top notch. The UR does the job, I can't see the OEM being any different, only I have seen a couple of OEM ones on evo and RA develop some small cracks.

debonaire
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby debonaire » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:59 am

milobob wrote:I added a VRX strut bar to my now ex-VR - it did make a bit of a difference to turn-ins. Funny though - not all sporty or good drivers cars come with strut bars? I assume its because the chasis is so stiff anyway you dont need one.

Mmm, I put a front strut bar on my old Skyline just because I found one for cheap in a clearance pile.... it did made absolutely big fat zero difference. But seems like people here have had positive experiences with the Lancer.

RennieJames
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby RennieJames » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:03 pm

Hey guys thought I would let you know that I bought and got my strut bar today :D

Also got my air filter to :D

Dire
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Dire » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:30 pm

If I get a strut bar will it make my steering lighter? With coilovers my car is already trying to shoot off the road over average bumps and I don't want to make it worse :P

Also I found this yesterday:

http://www.onautos.com.au/p-3399-mitsubishi-lancer-ralliart-cj-08-on-brace-strut-towr-f.aspx

RennieJames
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby RennieJames » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:41 pm

@Dire
Sorry man i have know clue :P I only recently started looking at strut bars and everyone here said it makes a difference so i got one :D

Neo
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Neo » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:45 pm

I have had my strut bar for 2 weeks now, i took it off yesterday to see if i could notice a difference. You really notice a difference in cornering but if you drive like a granny then you wont notice much difference :P
(i have a ultra racing front strut $177inc delivery)

LZY_EYE
Genius
Genius

Postby LZY_EYE » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:52 pm

Dire wrote:If I get a strut bar will it make my steering lighter? With coilovers my car is already trying to shoot off the road over average bumps and I dont want to make it worse :P Also I found this yesterday: http://www.onautos.com.au/p-3399-mitsubishi-lancer-ralliart-cj-08-on-brace-strut-towr-f.aspx

If your car is trying to shoot off the road, there is something wrong with the setup. Could be poorly setup coilovers, or alignment.

Dire
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Dire » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:20 am

It travels straight, the steering is just very light and it follows bumps or dips unless I hold onto it (which isn't hard thanks to the lightness).

LZY_EYE
Genius
Genius

Postby LZY_EYE » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:55 am

How much pressure are you running in the tyres? Still sounds like something is not right. It should track the same as it did with stock suspension. Either way, a strut brace won't affect that behaviour.

empror
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby empror » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:10 pm

I have a similar problem, I get massive amounts of road steer, but that could be because I have low profile tyres because of my 18's, or at least that's what a lot of people tell me.

LZY_EYE
Genius
Genius

Postby LZY_EYE » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:13 pm

I had 17s on mine with coilovers, and unless there were some bad ruts in the road, or the tyre pressure was not right it was fine.

How hard go you have the coilovers set?

empror
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby empror » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:17 pm

I'm still on stock suspension unfortunately :(
And yeah I've tested different tyre pressures, and they make slight differences, but not enough. I actually have a feeling my steering wheel has somehow become misaligned, because i have to almost permanently hold the wheel down to the right slightly :(

LZY_EYE
Genius
Genius

Postby LZY_EYE » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:20 pm

There is a reason for that, when they do the wheel alignment, they are lazy and don't line up the wheel dead straight when they lock it in place.

Take it for a wheel alignment, and stress the importance of getting the wheel dead straight. Always check it when they have done the alignment too...

empror
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby empror » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:22 pm

I'm glad that's an easily fixed error then! I'll get another alignment next week then I guess. I have pretty average eyesight though, so checking the alignment myself might be a bit interesting hahaha

Return to “General Talk”