***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

dying to see snow

Start a Topic! Have Your Say & Talk About Anything.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

markalishous
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

dying to see snow

Postby markalishous » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:30 pm

Hey guys being a born and breed Queenslander and have only ever been abroad to bali (the only place in the universe that is hotter than Queensland). i have not surprisingly never seen or touched snow before so sometime at the start of next month i am driving down to near Jindabyne to see the snow. Im a bit naive to how it all works i basically just want to mess around in the snow, like make snow mans and the like but i don't know whether i have to buy entry or lift passes or any of that kind of thing and how much that will all cost? Can anyone give me any tips or anything of the like to help me out.

Cheers

Chubb
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Chubb » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:35 pm

All the ski fields I have been to over the years it is free to simply walk out onto the snow. The cost comes in when you want a lift pass and to hire equipment.

Momengah
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Momengah » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:45 pm

You probably want to hire out some equipment though. Like jackets snow pants and boots etc. It does get cold without proper gear. Plus those are usually water resistant where as your normal clothes wont last too long in keeping you dry and warm. if you dont want to go skiing or snowboarding I can definitely recommend tobogganing.
-Beeble spec custom tune (182kw 383nm)
-Cosworth Air Filter
-Evo X BOV
-Evo X Intercooler
-Grimmspeed 3 port
-Ultimate Racing UPICP & LICP
-HFC & Ultimate Racing catback

markalishous
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby markalishous » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:54 pm

cheers for the advice guys im not to keen for going skiing/snowboarding for the time being but tobogganing sounds good, i will have to pick up some water resistant clothing though.

Chubb
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Chubb » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:00 pm

gloves would be a good idea if you plan on picking the snow up :P, but yeah water proof warm clothes are a must on the snow even on a good day the temp at the moment would be around the 0 mark.

LZY_EYE
Genius
Genius

Postby LZY_EYE » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:59 pm

Just keep driving and go to tassie :P

If you are planning on driving out to the snow you may need to organise chains etc.

debonaire
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby debonaire » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:52 pm

Good point from Shane, last time I went to the snow it was mandatory for any 2WD vehicle to carry chains during snow season, even though there was next to no chance of them actually being required at the time.

Can't remember how it worked - must be a condition of entry into national parks or something?

Momengah
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Momengah » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:08 pm

Think it might be law to have a set of chains with you when going up to the mountains. Should be able to hire them at the snow towns though. Same as any other gear
-Beeble spec custom tune (182kw 383nm)

-Cosworth Air Filter

-Evo X BOV

-Evo X Intercooler

-Grimmspeed 3 port

-Ultimate Racing UPICP & LICP

-HFC & Ultimate Racing catback

deeky
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby deeky » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:31 pm

It is the law above a certain elevation, I picked up snow chains from Aldi for $30 a few weeks back.

I won't recommended them as I haven't tested them yet but they are mainly for legal reasons.

markalishous
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby markalishous » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:34 pm

yea im probably just going to hire some snow chains from a servo and pick up some antifreeze while im there too.

Glenn
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Glenn » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:55 pm

having spent most my life in Calgary Canada where Snow and -30degC is a daily thing I'd say respect the road condition's chains or not. Your car will grip and act very differently than what your used to even on wet roads so go slow and leave yourself plenty of space between cars and brake early for turns.

I've seen lots of people take turns at normal speeds but with the snow they end up crossing into the other lane etc Fun when no other cars are around but not so fun when a cars coming right at you.

If no ones looking find an empty parking lot full of snow and "test" the "safety" of your cars handling. Just be sure theres no parking blocks hidden under the snow. Had a friend "slide" into one that was hidden under a foot of snow and cracked his oil sump which then seized the engine :(

Snow pants and gloves are a good idea. Nothing ruins the day faster than wet cold jeans and numb fingers.

scheris
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby scheris » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:23 pm

The hubby and I go to Perisher couple of times every year and one of the conditions when entering into Kosciuszko National Park during winter season is to carry chains, 4WD are exempt. You will be fined if you enter without chains and you're caught. They do not check but if you get caught out, it's a hefty fine - $500 i think.

You probably won't end up using them because the roads are paved and pretty well maintained but you never know. Who knows Australia might get some actual good snow fall for once :P. But nonetheless - drive to conditions is a must.

If you want to troll about at the resorts, you won't need lift passes. However unless you pay for the 'sight seeing' lift tickets you won't see much at the bottom. You gotta go to the top. Those tickets are i think about $30 -$40, not sure sorry I don't normally get those tickets, Perisher and Thredbo websites should tell you the exact prices. And yes do get waterproof clothing especially if you want to wander around. Jacket, pants, gloves, shoes and a beanie. Aldi can provide you with these for cheap and they're great for walking around to keep dry.

Oh and don't forget, it costs $27 to get a day pass to get into the park. So make the most of it.

Return to “General Talk”