***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

I WANT A MOTORBIKE

Start a Topic! Have Your Say & Talk About Anything.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

RMN116
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby RMN116 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:36 pm

Dont go cheap on your gear. Remember they are whats going to keep you safe ie items like helmet, gloves, jacket, boots and pants.

The only difference between L's and P's are the speed limit. L's can go 80km/hr max and P's can go 100km/hr.

You can lose a finger, leg, arm and everything else if you allow yourself to be complacent. You cant hoon on a motorbike like how you would in a car. It takes more skill to ride safely thank to drive.

GST Stock RA + Boost Pill Basemap v3.0
AMS Boost Pill
Evo XIII Metal ByPass Valve
Simota High-Flow Drop-In Air Filter

mikedeu
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby mikedeu » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:09 pm

BUZZ_QWERTY wrote:205R will probably me to small for be than lol, Im well over 6 foot tall

I had the same issue. Perhaps look into the Kawa 650RL? I had this bike when I was on LAMS, great size, easy to ride, just a little more expensive than other LAM bikes.

Like others have said, get a good helmet and gear, it may cost you, when when you need it you will be glad.

I ride a 2007 Honda VTR250 (now and then for fun), a 2011 Kawa ZX-10R for the street and a track 2008 ZX6R.

Good gear will save you pain, I have used my twice with track riding, and walked away with only slight bruises.

Also, here in Vic, a 1 day course is required to get your L's, then you are free to ride anywhere. Just take it easy on your first time out, perhaps in a quite area or late at night so you feel less pressured until you get the hang of it.

Also, don't push yourself to your limits, since then you WILL find it, and you won't like the result. 70% riding limit is best. Leaves room for errors.

mikedeu
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby mikedeu » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:11 pm

RMN116 wrote: The only difference between Ls and Ps are the speed limit. Ls can go 80km/hr max and Ps can go 100km/hr.

I am not sure if NSW law is different, but in VIC a L motorbike rider can to any posted speed limit, which is a max 110 Km/hr in VIC.

mikedeu
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby mikedeu » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:16 pm

One more thing, hehe,

riding is way too much fun, once your take it up you will get addicted.
be that off road dirt bike, street, or the pure fun track riding.

Its as safe as you make it, just need to be very watchful of those in cars, and try and ride in a way that keeps you visible to other road users. The biggest problem is "appearing out of nowhere", so try to lesson that effect.

Once you start, it can add up, one bike can become 2 or 3, gear can add up, I have 1 racing suit, 4 other jackets and pants, 4 helmets, the list just goes on and on...

RMN116
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby RMN116 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:28 pm

^ :D

I couldnt agree with you more Mike.

GST Stock RA + Boost Pill Basemap v3.0

AMS Boost Pill

Evo XIII Metal ByPass Valve

Simota High-Flow Drop-In Air Filter

bd-850
Alumni
Alumni

Postby bd-850 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:47 pm

one other thing, you WILL drop your bike, be it just slow moving around a car park/garage or what ever, or having the bike parked.

i always got told your first bike should be a naked bike so you have no fairing to scratch or break.

Graham
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Graham » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:53 pm

Get a bike :)

I had an Aprilia rs125 for a few months and then bought a Yamaha R1

for where I work

Car: $10 parking per day + petrol
Public Transport: $2 parking at traino & $7.60 train fare
Bike: Free parking & $20 fuel a week

the bike pays for itself and mine has paid itself off already I reckon.

Traffic jam? no such thing on a bike.. split down the middle of the lanes.

The bad? very dangerous, there's a very high chance that you will have an accident even if you're the perfect rider and do nothing wrong.

Get some good gear, it'll save your life :)
Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.
ImageImage
Daily Driver: Yamaha R1
Weekend Warrior: BMW Z4 Roadster

Dire
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Dire » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:11 pm

One day... One day I will have a bike. :P

Either after I pay of the lancer, after my next car, or after I move out...

BUZZ_QWERTY
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby BUZZ_QWERTY » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:26 am

Thanks fro the advice guys, I'm still pretty keen on a bike... BTW wasn't planning on being stingy on the gear, just pointing out that it it's pretty pricey. lol

SXLancerMum
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby SXLancerMum » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:51 am

20 yr old son bought himself a Ninja. 2008 or 9 or something. Bright green. Very flashy. Loves riding it everywhere even though the trip from Brisbane to Blayney nearly killed his butt. He's only small though and the 250 was OK for him. They seem rather popular as there are quite a few of them in the bike parking area at his base.

He was looking at some 600 thingy the other week but has since bought himself a brand new Triton GL-R. He still wants the new bike but it will just have to wait.

He has expensive and rather good safety stuff. His gloves are designed to help stop you losing your fingers and his boots are some sort of you beaut thing as well. His helmet is glow in the dark and very good. Not the most expensive and brilliant but up there in the brilliance dept. His leather jacket (looks like Wolverines actually) is full of kevlar and he has jeans that are full of it too.

He got his license and bike on the sly because he knew we wouldn't like him riding a bike. In fact when we went there to visit he took his bike, bike parts and all his bike gear to his mates place so I wouldn't know about it. I do hate the fact that he has it but not much I can do about it except drum in that safety is important. He knows that which is why he didn't skimp on the safety stuff either.

Graham
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Graham » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:35 am

Dire wrote:One day... One day I will have a bike. :P Either after I pay of the lancer, after my next car, or after I move out...

Get one now :P the amount of $$ you save is insane, especially if you pay for parking for work

Gear is kind of expensive, I think I paid the below for mine

Helmet: $290 fibreglass
Jacket: $200 - Dri rider... leaks when it rains though
Pants: $120 - wicked gear.. local shop in WA and are exactly like dri riders
Boots: $220ish - Joe rockets from online over east
Gloves: $40 - wicked gear, same as above, same as dri riders

I want to get a two piece leather suit for when I go on spirited weekend rides, cheap ones can be had from ebay for around the $500 mark.

A lot of dealers have specials on every now and then where if you buy a brand new bike under finance (usually 10-16k or upto 20 for 1k sports) they'll throw in free helmet and jacket etc.

Good gear will save your life.. This guy SURVIVED the crash!
Link

I got my first bike without telling my parents, I just rocked up at home with it one day by surprise :D

ImageImage

SXLancerMum
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby SXLancerMum » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:48 am

Graham wrote: I got my first bike without telling my parents, I just rocked up at home with it one day by surprise :D

My son was going to do the same thing. He stuffed up and put his foot in his mouth when he got his Ls because he made some comment about one of his mates bike and safety gear that he'd been playing with when he came home on holidays. He lived in Brissy but had been visiting us in Gloucester and his mates in Newcastle. Mums ears picked up on the slip and asked what the hell he was doing riding Wesleys bike. He then had to tell me about his Ls.

Then when he took all his gear to his mates he slipped up again by showing me his new Qld license. It had something about restricted on it and I asked him what the hell it was. He had to tell me as he'd got his Ps a week or so before and then he took me into his room to show me the pickies of his bike that he had on his computer.

It wasn't quite his bike at the time. He was buying it off one of his friends who had upgraded and hadn't paid him yet. He didn't want us knowing until he'd actually paid for it just in case we made him give it back or something.

Graham
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Graham » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:17 pm

Ahh fair enough, I guess I kept mine a bit of a secret because I knew my mum wouldn't really approve of it (she wouldn't say no or anything but she wouldn't really like it).

Safety concerns will always be there because bikes are dangerous and always will be, the best thing to do is to drill in the safety stuff (which you already have which is good :) ) and I'd also suggest a few advanced riding courses. I'm not sure what you guys have in NSW, I know there's a place called "Drive to Survive" which primarily does cars but they might be able to refer you somewhere for bike courses.

I love my bike, even after one crash and countless close calls I've not looked back yet :)

ImageImage

SXLancerMum
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby SXLancerMum » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:41 pm

I definitely don't approve but if he must do it then I insist it is done safely.

The other boy is into Go Kart racing and owns his own kart. God help me. He has to sell it though because he's going to Columbia for work and by the time he gets home it will be way out of date.

Graham
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Graham » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:13 pm

A family of daredevils hey? :P

If he does decide to upgrade to a larger more powerful bike try and talk him into something smaller like a 600cc rather than a 1000cc, they're both incredibly quick but a 1000cc is very easy to make a mistake, going full throttle in 1st 2nd or 3rd in mine will lift the front wheel off the ground and it's a 11 year old bike, newer ones have a little more power.

As long as your son is sensible he will be fine, definitely suggest some advanced riding courses (Almost a track day in a sense) though :)

ImageImage

Return to “General Talk”