***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Where to go and what to do in Sydney

Start a Topic! Have Your Say & Talk About Anything.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

shamoo
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Where to go and what to do in Sydney

Postby shamoo » Thu May 24, 2012 2:35 pm

Heya everyone

so in about 3 weeks time me and my man are heading off for a little holiday to Sydney! YAY! im so excited! anyway i have no idea what to do while we are there or where to go. dont even know where to stay at this stage. i have never been there before.

if anyone know of any cool things to do, or nice places to eat, that would be great. any cool clubs to go out drinking, etc.

we want to stay in or near the cbd and are thinking of doing the bridge climb and def wanna go to taronga zoo. we will be there for about 6 days i reckon, around the middle on june.

cheers
shannon
"A city without trees isn't fit for a dog!" Trees For Life

Just_Nothing
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Just_Nothing » Thu May 24, 2012 2:44 pm

So many things to do!!! What sort of places to drink would you like?? Night clubs, pubs with live music etc. What sort of food are you into?? Heaps expensive fancy stuff or just normal food of a real good quality???
Old enough to know better, still too young to care.

You can have it:
Fast
Cheap
Reliable

Pick any two.

shamoo
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby shamoo » Thu May 24, 2012 3:07 pm

well im pov, but will have a bit of spending money so not looking for really expensive places.

we like dance clubs, some where thats got the music pumping loud. not really into sitting at a bar drinking and talking.

food, well i pretty much eat anything except for seafood. we really like asian, indian, pizza, and steak. even a nice coffee shop, or somewhere that does a nice breakfast.

i would like to do a bit of shopping. i think theres a harbour town somewhere. also like going to the markets.

LZY_EYE
Genius
Genius

Postby LZY_EYE » Thu May 24, 2012 3:10 pm

Check Cudo and the like and you might get a good priced harbour cruise... Always good for someone not from the area to get a good look at the place :)

JustinR
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JustinR » Thu May 24, 2012 3:12 pm

Lots of stuff to do in Sydney.

Pitt St Westfield is great for shopping.

Kings Cross has some good clubs, depends on what music your into.

Check out Chinatown for Chinese food, and go for a walk around Harbour Town.

AdamD
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby AdamD » Thu May 24, 2012 4:42 pm

Home Night Club is always an experience.

BrownSound
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby BrownSound » Thu May 24, 2012 8:02 pm

If you are looking at saving some money, instead of doing the bridge climb do the sydney tower skywalk. I used to work there - and I can tell you it is a far better view than you'll get on the bridge at about 1/4 of the price! And since it is a guided tour you'll get a lot of information about the major sites in Sydney.

For markets there is a great asian food market every friday night in chinatown (10min walk from the centre of the CBD). I would definitely give that a go if you like asian food.

DORA_ANNE
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby DORA_ANNE » Thu May 24, 2012 9:07 pm

Hi Shannon , A Tip in where to stay is " Glen Ferrie Lodge " In North Sydney " Kirribilli .... As Gary has stayed there while working in Sydney a couple of times & it's pretty reasonably priced & room includes Breakfast " I noticed it's got " New Management " So hopefully new owners have left it as it was .... It's close to the City .... Luna Park ... If you are interested Might be an idea to ring up & book pretty soon as it's popular & they have a few different room types , It should have the information on this web site .... Best Value for staying in Sydney Gary reckons :)

http://www.agoda.com.au/pacific_ocean_a ... ydney.html
Angels Are Sometimes Disguised As Friends

shamoo
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby shamoo » Sat May 26, 2012 11:22 am

thanks heaps for the info. im so excited, cant wait!

BeHaV3
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby BeHaV3 » Sat May 26, 2012 1:48 pm

Brain dump....
Dancing.... Jacksons on george streey, home at king st wharf, retro on sussex... Was 4 floors of differing dance music eras, Ivy..

Lower cost tourist things....
Walk the deck of the harbour bridge between city and mistons point...free.
Rocks market, weekends.
Pub crawl rocks, start lord nelson, crescent towards harbour bridge and up at fortune of war.
Harbour ferry to manly, walk the corso to the oceanside, and return to city via ferry. If you run out of time take the cat, but ferry is cheaper and more authentic!
Observatory hill, hyde park and st mary's, qvb at town hall.
Walk to lady macquaries chair for some tourist snaps back at the barbour bridge and opera house via botanic gardens..... All free.

Other more difficult.".... Blue mountains ( katoomba, 3 sisters etc), if you are fromadelaide, skip hunter valley as you have clare, barossa, hils etc. Catch the ferry tothe zoo....

Food.
Cheaper eats in city is chinatown. Darling harbour is expensive.
Suburbs within 20 min on public transport... Crows nest ( has one of my favourite indian restaurants....), newtown and kensington ( have to be able attract uni students...... Great asian selections), philips foote on george st is great for a cook your own steak ( not so good in winter as semi outdoors ), norton st leichardt for italian, pub grub in the rocks or balmain areas.
City extra good for 24 hr food.. ay circular quay.
Tourist food...harry's at wooloomooloo,

Any specific questions, ask...
CJ RA. Stock!

debonaire
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby debonaire » Sat May 26, 2012 4:04 pm

Paddy's Markets in Haymarket is huge on the weekend. The Haymarket/Darling Harbour precinct has plaenty of touristy shops and things to do like the Maritime Museum, Aquarium, Powerhouse Museum.

The ferry to Taronga from Circular Quay will give you all the bridge and opera house photo opportunities you need.

As others have said, for shopping go to Pitt St (Mall)/George St.

BZC-45S
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby BZC-45S » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:33 am

Bridge climb lower cost alternative: the southern pylon lookout:
http://www.pylonlookout.com.au/

You get the same awesome views over Sydney city, you can wave to the bridge climbers as you're right next to them (across several lanes of traffic below) plus you can take your camera with you, and don't have to put up with the restrictions and 'training' required of the bridge climb.

As for clubs, etc. Virtually every place on or surrounding George St in the CBD comes alive on weekends. But I've noticed only the ultra keen are around these days - it's too cold for the summer crowds. Kings Cross - the more well known party/clubbing location - I tend to avoid as I'm the wrong skin colour, even though I'm typically with Medditerranian/Arab friends.

Nick07
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Nick07 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:55 pm

The bridge climb is awesome, I've done it twice and enjoyed it both times.

Blue mountains are nice, you could do the 1000 stairs next to the three sisters if you're keen for a hike. The only bad thing about the blue mountains is the amount of tourists (I know I was one :P) as it becomes a bit squeezy going down the stairs at the top to get to the sisters.

The aquarium is pretty good. Also the zoo is awesome, a lot better than the Perth zoo :P

I stayed in China town both times and found it to be quite a good location, just got a travel pass for the week and this allowed me to travel anywhere. Word of warning, the train to and from the airport has an additional fee at the station because it's privately owned.

squala
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby squala » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:46 pm

A visit to the Northern Beaches is great, and while you're there, you may as well get Merlin to transform your car's performance.
///// /////
7 airbags
6-speed SST
5-star safety
4-wheel drive
3-diamond badge
2 overhead cams
1 awesome ride
0 demerit points and gutter rash

shamoo
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby shamoo » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:01 pm

wow so much to take in. thanks for all the info! i know im not going to get time to do everything we wanna do. we will be flying there so no car tuning for me :(
i have heard about the day passes for the public transport. someone told me it was like $17 a day and you can catch as much as u want, and go anywhere. i will have to look into that. we dont have anything booked in yet-i leave things to the last minute, but im not much of a planner. i think we will prob end up planning one or 2 things then just go with the flow.
i have been told to stay in prymont or darling harbour.

Return to “General Talk”