***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

2012 Toyota 86 vs 2012 Subaru BRZ

Start a Topic! Have Your Say & Talk About Anything.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

BrownSound
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby BrownSound » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:41 pm

Looks as though some of the teething errors in the first release are coming out now...

http://smh.drive.com.au/motor-news/engine-problems-for-toyota-86-and-subaru-brz-20121010-27cbu.html

jonno2012es
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby jonno2012es » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:47 pm

I work at a Subaru dealership selling their cars. BRZ is a nice car to drive but, I think, it is way too underpowered. I would love to try it with the STi conversion Subaru Australia have been talking about!
Low 'N' Slow.

squala
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby squala » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:52 am

I went to a dealership yesterday to check on the 86. It is really low and much smaller than the Lancer, so obviously not a family car. The interior looks sporty, albeit with some cheap, easily scratched plastics. The gear shift seems a bit notchy when I was trying to move the lever. The front seats are very nice but the rear ones practically useless. Paint is better than Mitsubishi but still far from excellent. Only Ferrari can perfect the red colour.

The highlight of the day was when the dealer downplayed the RA's steering, describing it as vague, while praising his Camry company car for being so stable. Who's he kidding?
///// /////
7 airbags
6-speed SST
5-star safety
4-wheel drive
3-diamond badge
2 overhead cams
1 awesome ride
0 demerit points and gutter rash

ijustatecurry
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby ijustatecurry » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:00 am

^didn't you know Camry's are well renowned for their engaging drive and cat-like reflex steering?
All bleeding stops eventually!

Syke
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Syke » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:16 am

jonno2012es wrote: I think, it is way too underpowered. I would love to try it with the STi conversion Subaru Australia have been talking about!

this is all i hear about the 86/BRZ, everybody is waiting on the performance versions to come out.

squala wrote:It is really low and much smaller than the Lancer, so obviously not a family car.

2 door vs 4 door, not designed to be a family car
Syke
One step closer to owning an Evo

Google Is Your Friend! Learn to embrace it...
Check Out My Garage
http://clubcj.net/garage.php?mode=view_vehicle&CID=1054

Momengah
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Momengah » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:46 am

squala wrote:The highlight of the day was when the dealer downplayed the RA's steering, describing it as vague, while praising his Camry company car for being so stable.

hahahaha that is hilarious!!! camry's better then RA's haha way too funny.

Skye wrote:this is all i hear about the 86/BRZ, everybody is waiting on the performance versions to come out.

I've seen pics and stuff of people in the states putting a turbo into the 86. I wouldnt be surprised to see it over here soon

Slash
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Slash » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:56 am

STI version?
Isnt that just going to compete with the Toyota's GTS version of the 86??

I doubt they will put anymore power into it as Toyota will have a say in it.

Lots of aftermarket goodies avaliable for these cars.
Bolt on Turbo kit, super charger kits, suspension etc..

jonno2012es
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby jonno2012es » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:23 pm

Yeah HKS have made a bolt on turbo kit for the cars. From what I have been told it's about a $7,000 - $9,000 option depending on upgrades etc.
Low 'N' Slow.

debonaire
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby debonaire » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:22 pm

At that price it still ends up being a cheap car - about the same as a 200SX back in the day.

Regardless of nitpicking over the car, or whether you would ever buy or drive one, the existence and runaway success of the 86 is just awesome for performance enthusiasts. Hopefully it will restore confidence with other manufacturers and proper sports cars will become available once again. Hell, even half-baked offerings like a new FTO or Prelude would be nice to see.

I saw a BRZ in Brisbane (well I assume it was - just a fleeting glance) that had the number plate NOT86 :lol:

PsyTrix
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby PsyTrix » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:13 pm

I wouldn't touch either of these cars with a toilet brush. Awful, just awful.
Ralliart/Evo parts Versus 20s and BBS rims for sale! see: http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?t=7346

squala
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby squala » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:35 pm

Slash wrote:STI version? Isnt that just going to compete with the Toyotas GTS version of the 86?? I doubt they will put anymore power into it as Toyota will have a say in it. Lots of aftermarket goodies avaliable for these cars. Bolt on Turbo kit, super charger kits, suspension etc..

The GTS is more of a trim upgrade, no go-faster bits compared to the standard car. TRD might come up with a turbo or turbocharger in America, STi I'm unsure about. The BRZ was originally planned as AWD but they may have deemed the system too heavy especially when the car is NA to begin with.
///// /////

7 airbags
6-speed SST
5-star safety
4-wheel drive
3-diamond badge
2 overhead cams
1 awesome ride
0 demerit points and gutter rash

Dire
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Dire » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:43 pm

I read somewhere that they have an agreement not to do engine modifications for 3 years or something.
After that there may be factory STI or TRD versions... Subi will probably turbocharge and toyota might supercharge.
There'll be enough stuff out for them to DIY though. I have a magazine comparing different 'kits' you can already buy for them here in Oz from different tuning companies. Probably pricey but so will be an STI BRZ.

Return to “General Talk”