***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

What DONT you like about your Lancer?

Start a Topic! Have Your Say & Talk About Anything.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Re: What DONT you like about your Lancer?

Postby bumblebee » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:44 pm

Sunfull seem to be reasonable popular in our neck of the woods. They are certainly inexpensive and work great in the wet and dry. I know you can buy them from "etyre store " google them. They are in brisbane and a few other places.
You can get them under $100 each fitted. That sounds like a great price to me, thats extremely affordable. I dont even pay $250 for a new motorcycle tyre for my road bike

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:22 pm

I checked and they don't list an 18" to fit my CJ, either 215/45 or 225/40. But I'll be buying the RE003 next year!
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

burfadel
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby burfadel » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:34 am

sarusa wrote:2.4 ltr motor should be offered as an alternative on lower spec vehicles and direct injection should already be there.

Direct injection does have disadvantages. They should have made the 4J12 (improved 4B12) standard in countries that don't have engine size limitations in the 2013 makeover, and 4J11 in those that do. ASX colour display should also have been standard, along with at least some noise insulation.
I might add a pic of my car once I style the exterior a bit :).

sarusa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby sarusa » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:31 am

Wonder if vinyl wrap ,say carbon fiber black or silver, as my car is silver, will help in sound deadening, rather then all the work of doing it from the interior?

Dazz4C
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Dazz4C » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:09 pm

sarusa wrote:Wonder if vinyl wrap ,say carbon fiber black or silver, as my car is silver, will help in sound deadening, rather then all the work of doing it from the interior?

A negligible amount. Too thin for it to have any damping effect.

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:15 pm

sarusa wrote:Wonder if vinyl wrap ,say carbon fiber black or silver, as my car is silver, will help in sound deadening, rather then all the work of doing it from the interior?

I would doubt it would make any difference in the slightest. Go googling and see if anyone in your area does sound deadening so you can take you vehicle to them and let them do it. Will cost you some coin. Will be worth while for sure.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:25 pm

burfadel wrote:ASX colour display should also have been standard...

I did this mod, got a color cluster from an Outlander and it is way better than the stock red center display still found on some CFs.

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:17 pm

I just picked up my Lancer from the local agent who did the sound deadening on it and OMG im blown away with how quiet my Activ is now. I can no longer hear the engine running at idle. I can hear the radiator fans turn on and the click from the air con when it kicks in. And road noise has dropped by as a guess 50% at least. Fantastic. Im so impressed. The swapping of tyres to cure it is not the be all end all of solutions its just a bandaid. Get the spund deadening done and it will be even quieter still. Looking forward to getting the rest of my mods done over the next few months

sarusa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby sarusa » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:40 pm

bumblebee wrote:

I would doubt it would make any difference in the slightest. Go googling and see if anyone in your area does sound deadening so you can take you vehicle to them and let them do it. Will cost you some coin. Will be worth while for sure.

Sounds like the best bet is remove roof liner and hit it from inside. Ouch! :)

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:20 pm

Time to revive this thread!

One thing I find annoying with my VRX is the big rear spoiler. Often it blocks me from seeing cars at certain distances.

Anyone else swapped the VRX wing for something else like a higher EVO style one or a duckbill?

burfadel
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby burfadel » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:36 pm

Big spoilers aren't necessarily as effective as smaller, more aesthetic spoilers. They're also a source of wind resistance.

Spoilers on front wheel drive cars isn't the best concept either, unless it is matched with splitters at the front. I can understand why you're looking for something more practical, it won't affect performance by choosing something more discreet. You don't see big wings on actual performance vehicles, they rely on good spoiler/splitter combination.
I might add a pic of my car once I style the exterior a bit :).

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:31 pm

The spoiler on the VRX is very thick, which is the big issue when it comes to vision out the back. Plus the hight pretty much in the middle of the rear window. Thats why I like the the duckbill, less obtrusive than the VRX wing.

On most production cars like the CJ wings are neutral and there for visual appeal not performance. Only the likes of the EVO and RA come close to needing proper spoilers.

I do wonder how much drag the VRX wing creates and extra fuel used.

EDITED - other thing I was wondering is the holes left from removing the VRX wing, when using a duckbill or no wing at all. Whats the best solution? I've seen (a while ago) some using a plate with bolts thats actually part of the duckbill, or is it better to get some nice recessed hex bolts, stainless to fill the holes with some kind of sealant?

HP_Larock
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby HP_Larock » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:23 am

Things I do not like about MY Lancer:

-The CVT. It seems to like to keep the RPM looooow.
-Not soundproof enough...I can clearly hear the water or wet snow when driving in it. Sound seems to come from the back passenger side door.
-Cheap looking stock audio touch screen and UI.
-Volume knob is on the RIGHT side of the audio touch screen...The driver side is to the LEFT over here.
-Previous owner installed those plastic wind visors or whatever they are called and I think it simply increases the wind noise.
-I have to set the audio volume at 30 (out of 40-ish max?) for me to consider the music being loud.

I think that's it for me...still love the car.
2014 AWD Lancer GT (STOCK) - WHITE

Mystique
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Mystique » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:13 pm

To be completely honest, the Evo spoiler blocks your vision more than that RA/VRX/Es sport one does imo. For someone who has driven Cjs with one, and without, without or the Vrx spoiler is a better option imo.

I went from no spoiler to one off a vrx, and honestly, it doesnt block my vision at all.
Daily: My14 Lancer LX
Weekender: 2009 MY09 Ralliart Hatch

My Mod Thread: viewtopic.php?p=324612#324612
Instagram: http://instagram.com/mitsii_lx

Quismiff
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Quismiff » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:28 pm

The spoiler comes in super handy at night if you line the car behind you up just right it blocks their headlights :lol:

To answer HP_Larock

CVT was never meant for high performance, early versions on the Nissans would lock in at 4.5k and just bolt to 100kph and then cruise at a god awfully low rpm that when a passing manoeuvre was required you had to hit the gas a km before you needed it (and in NZ the passing lanes are in short supply for how many slow pokes you see on the road)

Sound proofing adds dollars in the assembly line, some blokes on the forum have done the whole sound deadening job, it's a lot of work, but worth it.

only when they're not stuck down right and flap around in the breeze, but in all seriousness they create a vortex and yes, it makes more wind noise. but handy to park with the windows down a little on a hot day, or in rain shower...

I have the RF system in mine, and 25 is getting too loud. but i could be getting old... but the bass is sweet :mrgreen:

The only thing I think I can say about not liking is the lack of a telescoping steering wheel (I'm tall and my knees are pulled up against the plastic), and the annoying ticking of the rear indicator and brake relay on the cross member in the boot. I need to jam a sheet of rubber under it to try and shut it up. (when the wife and kids are in the car they don't appreciate the loud doof doof like I do so I hear it more...)
2007 MY08 VR-X (cj-red)

I'm an eccentric smart-arse whose sarcasm has him perpetually in the s#@!.

Return to “General Talk”