***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Insurance with undeclared mods

Start a Topic! Have Your Say & Talk About Anything.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

rayray
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Insurance with undeclared mods

Postby rayray » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:01 pm

Just got a question that's been bugging me since my car was hail damaged recently.

What is the likelihood that my claim for hail damage will be void due to the fact that I haven't declared any of my mods?

I've heard a mixture of opinions ranging from the "your modified part has to be determined to be the cause of the accident for them to void your insurance" to the "your insurance will be automatically void due to the fact that you've simply breached the contract"

Would be good to get a few more views on this, especially from anyone who actually works in insurance.

Also, does anyone have any stories of insurance being void due to undeclared/illegal mods, whether it be for hail damage or not?

Gleno
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby Gleno » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:29 pm

Thats a very good question something i would like to know as well.
Im presuming with mods if u say you didnt insure your aftermarket wheels,and have a accident,then maybe you have to bear the cost of getting new wheels once the cars fixed (providing its not a write off)
With hail damage,i would be very suprised if a claim got knocked back to due hail damage,as modding the car has nothing to do with ice falling from the sky.

Meaty
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby Meaty » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:56 pm

I had a claim this yr, I had not added my new wheels to insurance, they replaced the tyre wrapped around the wheel but not the wheel, and all they said was "why didn't you add it to your insurance?"

dannyboi
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby dannyboi » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:09 pm

I noticed that with the NRMA, they ask for the insured value of the car including modifications, but without asking for specific details. My previous insurer JustCar, on the other hand, asked for specific mods.

ninjured
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby ninjured » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:22 am

I reckon it would vary from company to company case to case. My mate just had 23k of repairs done to his car and it was modded to high heavens all undeclared. They replaced all the parts with stock part value and he paid extra to have decent parts fitted again

lukeaday
Club Sponsor
Club Sponsor

Postby lukeaday » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:05 am

When my wife wrote off here last CE lancer coupe just cars insurance payed it out as per usual.
It had an exposed pod filter that they didnt know about.
They knew about the mags and body kit.
The biggest problem I almost got stuck in was the airbrushed flames that went over the bumper, bonet and guards and the prismtek gliter over the whole car.
They said that if it was to be repaired, that the damaged panels would be returned to original colour. I told them that it didnt bother me cos I did it myself.

Straight after it was officially writen off I had the opportunity to swap mags over which I later sold.
Official ClubCJ Sponsor.

Gleno
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby Gleno » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:31 am

It sounds like to me that if u have undeclared mods,they will just fix the car to the original condition and then you will have to re purchase the mods again if u wish.
The intersesting thing would be if a undeclared mod CAUSED the accident in some way or the undeclared mod is deemed illegal,that may cause some probs with your claim??

sleeper
Alumni
Alumni

Postby sleeper » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:42 am

your main problem is illegal mods, if the car is deemed unroadworthy then its up to the particular companies good will, ie, legally they can knock your claim back.
but for hail damage, they probably wont look too hard.
Last edited by sleeper on Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
210 KWATW 400nm RALLIART Virtual Dyno 1/1
http://goo.gl/GrUosm

Fitter
Club Vendor
Club Vendor

Postby Fitter » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:44 am

My 1999 ford laser sedan. Insurer was racq.

I was hit side on by a merc 4WD and both cars written off.

He was drunk and speeding and on the shoulder of the road.

2 weeks before the accident I had finished putting in my competition stereo, but had NOT gotten around to telling racq about it for my policy.

Racq pulled my insurance.

Loophole for them, failure to notify of addition to vehicle.

If I had called them and said it was in there then I would've been covered.

Now I'm paying off a $70,000 merc.
CLUB CJ CAR AUDIO VENDOR
Owner and Builder of Australia's LOUDEST STREET LEGAL Lancer 147.5dB

2013 WORLD TITLE
2012 QLD State Champion
2008 Australian Champion

Gleno
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby Gleno » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:00 am

I feel you were hard done by Matt, i dont think you can have a illegal radio in your car??? Unless its a sound issue of being too loud.
sometimes you cant win with insurance companies,you decalre the mods to them,then they may refuse to insure you?? Then what??
Maybe shannons is a safe haven??

SAM-24A
Alumni
Alumni

Postby SAM-24A » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:12 am

As per my Inquiries.

Disclosure of Mod varies from Insurer to Insurer .... some want to know all ... some don't bother.

The Most Important Point to Remember:
Is the Mod or Additional Part... Road Worthy, Compliant, Approved and/or within the Statutory Requirements as Set by your States Road Governing Govt Departments.

An Insurance Company will only ever be able to Contest and/or Void your Insurance based on these Legal Requirements.

If those Mods or Additional Parts are Not Approved ....
Then your Insurer May have an Avenue via which they could claim the Mod and/or Part Contributed and/or Caused the Accident and/or Prevented you from Avoiding the Accident.

Even OEM Accessories require Statutory Approval ... which also require the Correct Fitment to be Compliant ... !!
eg: Not fitting a Boot Spoiler Correctly in Accordance with the Manufacturers Fitting Instruction can be Contested by your Insurer.
If you didn't use the approved Hardware and/or Adhesives ... It could Dislodge and Cause Further Auto Damage, but worst Human Injury.

Best & Safest Option is to Disclose all to your Insurer for Determination.
Have your Insurer Include an Itemised List which appears on your Insurance Papers ... thus Ensuring Acceptance and Liability.
At Least this Ensures that your Insurer Accepts and Has Knowledge of the Mods/Additional Parts.
It's the Best & Strongest Case you could Have In-case of Disputation .... since your Insure

Sam ....:wink:
Sam ..... *thumb*
Merlinised MIVEC - AspiRe 2.4L

SAM-24A
Alumni
Alumni

Postby SAM-24A » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:23 am

Oh Sorry Matt .... didn't realise/see your post while I was typing mine.

That's an Absolutely Pathetic Statement your Insurer used about the Stereo ....

However ... If you would have contested the RACQ's determination to Void your Insurance because of "Failure to Disclose" (the Stereo) ...
they would of Defeated you in Court by Stating the Stereo was "Such Loud" that the "Volume Interfered with your Adverse Level of Concentration" whilst in "Control of a Motor Vehicle" .... Thus Contributing/Causing Your Involvement in the Collision.

Pathetic ... But True of How Far/Low Insurer's will Stoop to Avoid Payment.
Because the Comp Stereo is Not OEM and Exceeds "Noise Abatement Laws"

In NSW .... we can be Fined for Sounding/Playing Stereo Music which Exceeds an Acceptable Decibel Level.
It was Implemented In-Part to Curtail the Doof-Doof Idiots that Roam around sounding like a Public Loud Speaker ...

Law Cl 17 (1) Drive/Use Vehicle with Sound System Emitting Offensive Noise.
Penalty:$150 ... 2 Demerit Points.
Link = Demerits -General Driving Offence's as at 1st July 2011
Last Item: Sound System .. Page 17.

Sorry to Hear about your Financial Situation.

Regards: Sam.
Last edited by SAM-24A on Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sam ..... *thumb*

Gleno
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby Gleno » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:26 am

good points you have there sam :)I told my insurer when i got the 18''s put on,when i told them,they were not interested in the size or how much the wheels are worth,as long as its LEGAL. So if my wheels get stolen,how much will AAMI pay me when they were not interested in the value of the wheels??

rayray
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby rayray » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:45 am

Damn Matt..thats ridiculous especially when it sounds like you werent at fault. May i ask, what insurance company were you with at the time?

SAM-24A
Alumni
Alumni

Postby SAM-24A » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:17 pm

fitter aka Matt wrote:My 1999 ford laser sedan. Insurer was racq.

Link: RACQ

Yes, I agree with you Ray .... Ridiculous .... Insurers ... :roll:

Sam ... :wink:
Sam ..... *thumb*

Return to “General Talk”