***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

To change or not to change...

Start a Topic! Have Your Say & Talk About Anything.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

To change to the mx-5 or not

MX-5
18%
Lancer
82%

Total votes: 11

bd-850
Alumni
Alumni

Postby bd-850 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:58 am

you are worried about loosing the back end of the MX5.

Few yrs back went on a MPS cruise down to Merimbula, and going down the mountains following a MX5, everyone was jumping on the brakes and sliding through the corners, AWD MPS6, FWD MPS 3, the Lancer. when we got to the bottom, we asked the owner of the MX5 if his brake lights worked because we didnt see them come on.

MX5s handle like they are on rails

debonaire
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby debonaire » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:42 pm

Chubb wrote:[quote:a79a2abc94]S2000! Is great car IMO, but is difficult to find one in good condition. And is probably a huge learning curve for me to conquer a FR car. [/quote:a79a2abc94] Learning curve? a FR car is not a weapon of death that will kill you on the first corner, if any thing a FR car is alot easier to control on the edge of grip then a FF car. If you were however going to a super charged or turbo charged ute like Iam considering you may have some scary moments :twisted:

Exactly what I was going to say... You seem to have picked up some sort of unwarranted paranoia about RWD. You're not getting into a racing car, its an MX5. Even in a performance car it's not going to slide unless you're really really trying to (or driving recklessly), let alone a humble MX5. Then you just keep your foot in it and counter steer 8)

Also, its easy to see a car through rose coloured glasses when you really like it. I'd consider very carefully if the restrictions of a two seater will be OK for you, or whether you are just convincing yourself that it will do. Not just for transporting friends, but if you buy practically anything like a TV, ironing board, even a mop... there will be many simple things that you won't be able to get home in the car which may be especially annoying if you move around while at uni or when you leave. Of course if you have family with a wagon or something thats no big deal :)[/quote]

bd-850
Alumni
Alumni

Postby bd-850 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:48 pm

debonaire wrote:Also, its easy to see a car through rose coloured glasses when you really like it. Id consider very carefully if the restrictions of a two seater will be OK for you, or whether you are just convincing yourself that it will do. Not just for transporting friends, but if you buy practically anything like a TV, ironing board, even a mop... there will be many simple things that you wont be able to get home in the car which may be especially annoying if you move around while at uni or when you leave. Of course if you have family with a wagon or something thats no big deal :)

good point, i put a bodykit on my old commodore and i lost the Tow bar, few weeks later i needed to tow a trailer. the only time i ever needed it and i couldnt

Dire
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Dire » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:51 pm

Yeah honestly I'd have to say, if you can't handle RWD in an MX-5, you probably shouldn't be driving, because it'd be hard to find an easier car to drive. :P

RWD isn't mean't to be scary/hard...

Have you experienced mass understeer in your lancer? If so: you survived and aren't afraid of FWD, so you'll be fine in RWD.
If not, you don't drive hard enough for it to be a problem :P

As long as you are consciously aware that cars don't have infinite grip, which you obviously are, you'll have no problem. An MX-5 will have waaay more grip than a lancer.
If a 'sports car' was only 2L and couldn't go around corners either, it wouldn't be a very good sports car would it :P

Maybe you've just been watching too many drifting videos? :wink:

And I agree with thinking about 2 door cars. I want a 2-door car because my family all lives together and have no problem with swapping cars when we need to.

Graham
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Graham » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:04 pm

(Only read the OP - not any responses yet)

I've been looking at most of the convertibles on the market (Boxter, Z3, Z4, S2K, Spyder, S15 varietta, hardtop supra's, mx5's etc) and out of the ones I've been looking at I'd rate the mx5 probably second last on the list just above the early model alfa romeo spyders.

for me the look just isn't there, power to weight is okay but not quite what I'm after in a convertible. There is potential to mod the car performance wise with turbo and supercharger kits out there. I haven't test driven one so I can't comment on how it drives but it looks like it can handle the twisties which is always more fun than straight line speed.

I wouldn't worry about FWD/RWD differences. Yes FWD is easier to handle but at the same time RWD is not much harder, for day to day driving you wouldn't run into any problems but if you wanted to look at racing or having a bit of fun every now and then I'd definitely recommend an advanced driving course in the car so that you can learn its limits in a safe environment (flick it out and spin it with the worst case scenario hitting a patch of grass and not a kerb or tree).

At the end of the day it's what you want, if you love it and wanna get one don't let anyone tell you any differently :)
Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.
ImageImage
Daily Driver: Yamaha R1
Weekend Warrior: BMW Z4 Roadster

Slash
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Slash » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:36 am

What do you want to drive?
RWD or FWD? take your pick and your choice is made.

I sold my DC5R and decided after 10+ years of owning and driving FWD cars, I wasnt going to buy another FWD car... it was going to be either AWD or RWD...
Made my list did my comparisons and ended up in the Evo.

People can say this car is great, that car isnt, in the end your the one that has to live with it not anyone else...

As for k's... it doesnt really matter to me, as long as I know the car has been looked after....
My 92 Accord sold it with 180k on the clock, the car was then sold with 240k a few years later and is still going with 300+ks now... had water pump changed at 200k...
DC5R - 160k on the clock..never missed a beat, regularly serviced and maintianed by Toda Racing.

I think you will have more fun in the MX5, given your already partial to the Mx-5... RWD easier for that drifto (on the skidpan) action

Mitsi
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Mitsi » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:45 am

Personally, I will never (if I can help it) ever get a car which isn't AWD and Turbo (well, at least AWD). Adam drove his Mum's Mazda2 about a year ago after a sprinkle and it was slipping and sliding all over the place - was horrible! May have also been a bit of a heavy foot too (used to driving his Starlet GT and then Forester XT maybe?).

The RA rolls way less than the Forester and when we eventually save enough money to start modding, we'll get new tyres, rims and drop it a little to get even more grip :)
2010 Lancer Ralliart <3

klvru
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby klvru » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:31 am

bd-850 wrote:you are worried about loosing the back end of the MX5. Few yrs back went on a MPS cruise down to Merimbula, and going down the mountains following a MX5, everyone was jumping on the brakes and sliding through the corners, AWD MPS6, FWD MPS 3, the Lancer. when we got to the bottom, we asked the owner of the MX5 if his brake lights worked because we didnt see them come on. MX5s handle like they are on rails

Yea after driving one, it stick on to the road like a glue!!! Really like it, will definitely buy one when I grow older and have it as a toy :P

debonaire wrote:[quote:b04878eba5=Chubb][quote:a79a2abc94]S2000! Is great car IMO, but is difficult to find one in good condition. And is probably a huge learning curve for me to conquer a FR car. [/quote:a79a2abc94] Learning curve? a FR car is not a weapon of death that will kill you on the first corner, if any thing a FR car is alot easier to control on the edge of grip then a FF car. If you were however going to a super charged or turbo charged ute like Iam considering you may have some scary moments :twisted: [/quote:b04878eba5] Exactly what I was going to say... You seem to have picked up some sort of unwarranted paranoia about RWD. Youre not getting into a racing car, its an MX5. Even in a performance car its not going to slide unless youre really really trying to (or driving recklessly), let alone a humble MX5. Then you just keep your foot in it and counter steer 8) Also, its easy to see a car through rose coloured glasses when you really like it. Id consider very carefully if the restrictions of a two seater will be OK for you, or whether you are just convincing yourself that it will do. Not just for transporting friends, but if you buy practically anything like a TV, ironing board, even a mop... there will be many simple things that you wont be able to get home in the car which may be especially annoying if you move around while at uni or when you leave. Of course if you have family with a wagon or something thats no big deal :)
[/quote]

Yea you got your point! Saw the car the other day, and it wasn't really practical despite the fact I keep convincing myself it will be lol! My sis didn't really like it either :(

I actually drove my dad's 350Z on the track 2 years ago, and I spun out 2-3 times. Not on the road though, probably I was trying to push the car on the track. I will definitely get a RWD car in the future nevertheless, and have all the sliding fun!!

Dire wrote:Yeah honestly Id have to say, if you cant handle RWD in an MX-5, you probably shouldnt be driving, because itd be hard to find an easier car to drive. :P RWD isnt meant to be scary/hard... Have you experienced mass understeer in your lancer? If so: you survived and arent afraid of FWD, so youll be fine in RWD. If not, you dont drive hard enough for it to be a problem :P As long as you are consciously aware that cars dont have infinite grip, which you obviously are, youll have no problem. An MX-5 will have waaay more grip than a lancer. If a sports car was only 2L and couldnt go around corners either, it wouldnt be a very good sports car would it :P Maybe youve just been watching too many drifting videos? :wink: And I agree with thinking about 2 door cars. I want a 2-door car because my family all lives together and have no problem with swapping cars when we need to.

Yeap the lancer's understeer is a headache lol! Don't know your definition of massive, but yeah I have encounter it's understeering limit.

You bugger :P you should get a S2000 for yourself, when you can :) Since you have more practical cars at home, so it shouldnt be a problem. While I don't, not in QLD at least LOL :(

Drifting videos? :o :o I wish to drive like Keiichi Tsuchiya one day haha!!! Still waiting a chance to get my Sprinter Trueno Ae86

Graham wrote:(Only read the OP - not any responses yet) Ive been looking at most of the convertibles on the market (Boxter, Z3, Z4, S2K, Spyder, S15 varietta, hardtop supras, mx5s etc) and out of the ones Ive been looking at Id rate the mx5 probably second last on the list just above the early model alfa romeo spyders. for me the look just isnt there, power to weight is okay but not quite what Im after in a convertible. There is potential to mod the car performance wise with turbo and supercharger kits out there. I havent test driven one so I cant comment on how it drives but it looks like it can handle the twisties which is always more fun than straight line speed. I wouldnt worry about FWD/RWD differences. Yes FWD is easier to handle but at the same time RWD is not much harder, for day to day driving you wouldnt run into any problems but if you wanted to look at racing or having a bit of fun every now and then Id definitely recommend an advanced driving course in the car so that you can learn its limits in a safe environment (flick it out and spin it with the worst case scenario hitting a patch of grass and not a kerb or tree). At the end of the day its what you want, if you love it and wanna get one dont let anyone tell you any differently :)

Yea, that's my philosophy. Get what you want and like, and not others :)

My first thought that came into my mind when considering a MX-5, skidpan!! Surely I will be smiling like a maniac when I walk out of the car hahah!! How's your Z4 conversion going??

Slash wrote:What do you want to drive? RWD or FWD? take your pick and your choice is made. I sold my DC5R and decided after 10+ years of owning and driving FWD cars, I wasnt going to buy another FWD car... it was going to be either AWD or RWD... Made my list did my comparisons and ended up in the Evo. People can say this car is great, that car isnt, in the end your the one that has to live with it not anyone else... As for ks... it doesnt really matter to me, as long as I know the car has been looked after.... My 92 Accord sold it with 180k on the clock, the car was then sold with 240k a few years later and is still going with 300+ks now... had water pump changed at 200k... DC5R - 160k on the clock..never missed a beat, regularly serviced and maintianed by Toda Racing. I think you will have more fun in the MX5, given your already partial to the Mx-5... RWD easier for that drifto (on the skidpan) action

Ideal situation(money), I want both LOL but seeing as it is not, I don't mind either. I've driven 4WD sti, and to be honest as long as the car is great to drive etc I don't really mind if is FWD/RWD/4WD/MR.

Test drove the mx-5 the other day, I agree is definitely more fun than the lancer. But after considering what some of you guys told me, I hold it off and got myself a FN2R :) More fun, joy and practical!! Probably not as practical as the lancer, but it will do :) MX-5 is in the wish list as a future project car

Mitsi wrote:Personally, I will never (if I can help it) ever get a car which isnt AWD and Turbo (well, at least AWD). Adam drove his Mums Mazda2 about a year ago after a sprinkle and it was slipping and sliding all over the place - was horrible! May have also been a bit of a heavy foot too (used to driving his Starlet GT and then Forester XT maybe?). The RA rolls way less than the Forester and when we eventually save enough money to start modding, well get new tyres, rims and drop it a little to get even more grip :)

That probably isn't the fault being FWD. Try driving a Renault Sport Megane R26 :)

I have to agree Turbo is fun to drive and is hard to convert it back to N/A car once you drive one. But after driving, the type R. Is a difference experience, you have to shift a lot more at the redline to get the power! Where turbo, you don't always have to be on the redline.

All of us just can't stop modding can we? I'm thinking about modding the R as well!! Argh!! Probably just give up on my watch or camera lens LOL

klvru
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby klvru » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:34 am

By the way, for those who are interested.

I have bought a 2008 Civic Type R :) Can't be happier.

After listening to what you guys told me, even though the mx5 is a good car but the practicality just isn't there despite constant convincing myself, and Vaughan just reminded me that I do not have other bigger car in QLD. So that's the end of the story. I will definitely get it when I have the finance in the future, as a project-track car:)

And thank you everyone for the reply!! I will still stay in CCJ, by far the best forum I've come across:)

funnyfi
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby funnyfi » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:03 am

Hey man, i'm happy you went that way! I'm actually a Honda person at heart..sorry to hijack etc. but i'm in the same situation as the OP! I was wondering (OP) did you get your lancer brand new? Also did you trade in your lancer or private sell?

I'm on my fulls now, but I have been looking at getting a DC2R... Always have wanted one. My heart says yes! But my head says...a new car for an old one?! However I was hoping to sell my car before it depreciates anymore (2010 vrx with around 16000kms..) FML any more insights?

Slash
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Slash » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:13 pm

I had my DC5R for 8 years, before selling it to by the Evo
If I didnt have a need for 4 doors and 5 seats I would still have it!

Almost built a FD2R.. would have cost me around $50k all up.. then the GFC hit and the price hit $100k.. the Evo looked like the better decision! :)

funnyfi
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby funnyfi » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:45 pm

oo fd2r, not FN2r right? Love the FD2R chassis/shape.

Dire
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Dire » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:17 am

Congrats Kelvin
It it the hatch or sedan? I don't think I've seen a sedan type R (FD2R) before :?
I'm guessing you got it from a dealership and traded the lancer in?

I spent so much time trying to say you'd be fine in a FR though! :lol:

Chubb
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Chubb » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:09 am

Sedan Type R was a JDM only special and they put out an extra 17kw on a longer and wider body than the hatch, so at current I guess it would be rare to see them in Aus due to lack of personal imports.

Slash
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Slash » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:23 am

There are a few in australia now... I saw one in the city not that long ago.

I would love to get my hands on a Mugen RR (upgraded version of the FD2R)..,. Only 300 ever made, sold out in less than 10 minutes... prices is crazy high though compared to the standard FD2R.. $30k vs $50k

Return to “General Talk”