***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Anti Virus recommendation

Start a Topic! Have Your Say & Talk About Anything.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

bongo
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby bongo » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:50 pm

If it's an apple, you won't need anything.

BR14AN
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby BR14AN » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:55 pm

I bought a MacBook = win.

bongo
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby bongo » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:34 pm

obviously hit a sore point!

bongo
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby bongo » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:28 pm

your opinion

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Postby JaCe » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:47 pm

from reading various websites the antivirus for mac has been proven to be largely useless as it's focus is more on detecting windows viruses.

"A man who stands for nothing, falls for anything."

Meaty
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby Meaty » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:50 pm

might have been covered already but if you look for comparisons on Microsofts new'ish FREE security essentials you wil find it is a VERY solid AV catching more then most paid AV do, its all i use.

and i have to laugh everytime some says "i have a mac i dont need security.. " or some such dribble, MAC OS = least secure thing you can get online with.

Tillllasam
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Tillllasam » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:22 am

Thanks guys for all the reply, I think I will give Kaspersky a go. :)

Shaocaholica
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Shaocaholica » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:29 am

I wouldn't go with a paid AVS unless one of the free ones doesn't work for you for whatever reason. Just give MSSE a try and if you don't like it you're welcome to pay real money for something else.

coolwave911
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby coolwave911 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:45 am

I always LOL @ MAC users bragging about how safe they are, think again. Just because Windows got exposed more to the general public for years that's why it's an target for bad guys aka hackers. Soon with the current level of popularity gain Apple MAC OS will become the next target, be prepared. One day I'll be laughing my head off to see a MAC user go and ask for anti-virus software. I'm a MacBook Pro owner too but I've never said anything like that, just a note to who may raise the point that I'm a PC fanboy LOLOL. Funny thing is, some people got money doesn't necessarily means they got the knowledge but always saying things they read/believe on the internet without a solid backup or even real life experience, oh well.....

Look at the PS3, how secure Sony was bragging about then one beautiful day the bloody thing got hacked by a single person and now pirated games are just a few clicks away, sucks you can't play online though hahaha

Think of it like you and a celeb, will the paparazzis go after a normal guy like u? NO! But as soon as u sleept with.....Paris Hilton or whoever then chances are you'll get yourself an entourage LOLOL

coolwave911
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby coolwave911 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:51 am

I use McAfee on my Alienware laptop as it came bundled.....but if I happens to come across any pictures of a hot chick saying "**** me tonight", common sense is to close the bloody thing then all good.....like AIDS, you don't do it, you don't get it. Chances of getting it by accident is really slim :)

Shaocaholica
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Shaocaholica » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:55 am

You guys have a really odd take on the whole subject :/

Slash
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Slash » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:25 am

I'm affiliated with Kaspersky so I wont say much about them.
But if a company/ user doesnt want to pay for it Microsoft Security Essentials isnt too bad and its free.

timu
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby timu » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:38 am

coolwave911 wrote:I always LOL @ MAC users bragging about how safe they are, think again. Just because Windows got exposed more to the general public for years that's why it's an target for bad guys aka hackers. Soon with the current level of popularity gain Apple MAC OS will become the next target, be prepared. One day I'll be laughing my head off to see a MAC user go and ask for anti-virus software. I'm a MacBook Pro owner too but I've never said anything like that, just a note to who may raise the point that I'm a PC fanboy LOLOL. Funny thing is, some people got money doesn't necessarily means they got the knowledge but always saying things they read/believe on the internet without a solid backup or even real life experience, oh well.....

Look at the PS3, how secure Sony was bragging about then one beautiful day the bloody thing got hacked by a single person and now pirated games are just a few clicks away, sucks you can't play online though hahaha

Think of it like you and a celeb, will the paparazzis go after a normal guy like u? NO! But as soon as u sleept with.....Paris Hilton or whoever then chances are you'll get yourself an entourage LOLOL

I was listening to a IT Security podcast last week on this very point. The Mac Defender outbreak is basically a result of the number of people using Mac hitting that critical mass where it is now profitable to target it, especially when lots of its OSX users don't take basic security precautions like AV.

And Mac Defender isn't actually targeting any flaw in OSX either, its a social engineering attack that can (and has) been made to run on any platform..

Ultimately, when we say you need AV on a Mac, its not a comment on how secure OSX is or isn't compared to Windows (which is what fanboys of both sides like to make it about), its just a reality that OSX is not immune to malware, because not all malware is "viruses" and "worms" that try to exploit flaws in the OS. Mac Defender originally didn't exploit anything (athough new strains now do) and look how successful it was.

Return to “General Talk”