***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Help for Tadz0rz Mum

Start a Topic! Have Your Say & Talk About Anything.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Josh_Emerton
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Josh_Emerton » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:31 pm

Is it possible its suspension? I mean, if it's while you're turning, not braking... I can see where you're coming from. I think my sister's Pulsar has the same problem - but I ignore that because I probably caused it...that car was a beast, it survived anything and everything hahahahaha.

tadz0rz
Genius
Genius

Postby tadz0rz » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:57 pm

I dunno josh....It could be but i have no idea what would cause a metal grinding sound in the suspension...

Btw, im having buckley's luck on finding the rotor dimensions on the Fiesta WQ LX 5 door Auto, if anyone can find out for me that would be great. If not, im just gunna be going to ford tomorow
Got a question? Read the ClubCJ Ultimate Guide First!!
Just...Dont worry about it ;)Dont Click Me

DJBOOBY
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby DJBOOBY » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:09 pm

ford fiesta xr4 are
Front -
278mm diameter by 22mm thick ventilated discs

Rear -
253mm diameter by 10mm wide ventilated disc brakes
if that helps

tadz0rz
Genius
Genius

Postby tadz0rz » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:14 pm

It helps slightly, the standard WQ will have smaller brakes of course...

Ofey do you have a list of rotors that RDA gives you for different model cars? Coz if the XR4 is 278mm, the fiesta will be smaller.......

DJBOOBY
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby DJBOOBY » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:21 pm

i keep looking
but a guide to tell if rotor need to be replace if pad did not ware to metal but because of wear and tear is rub your finger on the out sided of the rotor if you find a large lip 2-3mm rotors will need re surfing

Blakey
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Blakey » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:45 pm

its a brakes thing my fathers ford something had the same problem just replace your pads/rotors install them your self to. they are easy most calipers are held on by 2 bolts behind the hub and once they are off the rotor just pulls out.
and pads you just losen one nut on the rotor then fully undo the other lift half the caliper up take old out compress piston/s then put new pads in then put back together then tighten tightly.
IF YOUR NOT LIVING ON THE EDGE YOUR TAKING UP TOO MUCH ROOM

tadz0rz
Genius
Genius

Postby tadz0rz » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:38 pm

Thanks for that DJ. Least i know what im looking for now.

And for doing it myself, brakes isnt really something i want to mess with, ill either be getting it done by our mechanic friend or my mums partner said he would do it.

Im going to be going to bayford tomorrow to ask them why they quoted my mum $600 and if theres time ill get them to show me the damage which justifys the rotor having to be replaced. Only reason why im going to get the rotor replaced is its $48...Peanuts. But ill get ford to show me exactly why and where and how and anything else they can tell me. No way $600 is right.

DJBOOBY
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby DJBOOBY » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:51 pm

Not having worked on a ford fiesta $600 sounds a bit to much for a brake and rotor job??
2 hour job at the most

tadz0rz
Genius
Genius

Postby tadz0rz » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:02 pm

the only other thing they said to my mum is that the car was due for a major service. Whether or not that major service is the result of that $600, i dont know. But, ill be asking many questions tomorrow

squala
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby squala » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:44 pm

It's easy to replace the pads and rotors but what we should be after is what caused the premature wear in the first place. I suspect there is something wrong somewhere else in the braking system. Rotors shouldn't be eaten up at only 60K. This needs to be addressed first or else a similar wear problem could happen again in the near future.
///// /////
7 airbags
6-speed SST
5-star safety
4-wheel drive
3-diamond badge
2 overhead cams
1 awesome ride
0 demerit points and gutter rash

tadz0rz
Genius
Genius

Postby tadz0rz » Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:40 pm

Okay well i went to Ford this afternoon and got some answers

Brake Pads come as a set of 2 and they said its best to replace all 4 when changing brakes. for a set of 2 it was around 130, so times that by 2, $260

Rotors - They said its better to replace both fronts because it can create an inballance in the brakes if one rotor is below a certian diameter. 1 of them is $160 times by 2, $320

+ labor of 1.2 hours @ $110 per hour, it came out to be like $132 or something. So actually in excess of $600.

I asked them what manufacturer brakes to you install in the cars, and their like...Ford Geniune Brakes...n im like But ford dont 'manufacture' brakes, where do they source it from? and they said motorcraft or motocraft or some bull crap. I left it at that

I asked why the parts were so expensive, and all they could come up with was because they were ' Ford Genuine Parts '. I said to them, why can i source a higher quality rotor and a set of 4 brake pads INSTALLED for less than 1 rotor itelf? All they came up with was because "Thats the pricing structure set by Ford"

I left it at that because it looked like i was pissing the service lady and guys out the back off because i was asking way too many technical questions. Im completely entitled to ask these questions so they cant turn up their nose at me!!

ANYWAY

Since ford said the rotor needs replacing, as i said above they said it can cause a descrepency in the braking performace between the 2 front brakes if the rotor diameter is different...Is this true?

I just want to be on the safe side so im thinking ill order 2 rotors off ofey and a set of 4 brake pads and get it installed by our mechanic.

Thanks for the support guys

Speedie
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Speedie » Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:47 pm

If one rotor is thinner than the other then you will until the brakes bed in (like 1 day max). $110/hour for labour?? thats a rip

[Evo X Brembos] [Evo X Intercooler] [Evo X UICP]

LZY_EYE
Genius
Genius

Postby LZY_EYE » Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:50 pm

I agree with them on that point Tadz, you really should replace the rotors in pairs. If you don't, and your stopping power is better on one corner, then the car can become unpredictable and start pulling to one side.

Go and price brakes with Mitsubishi and they will be dearer than aftermarket too, and Mitsu OEM discs are rubbish!! When I did my brakes in my 01 Astra, there were no aftermarket rear pads available and I had to go OEM... big money!!

The guys at Ford weren't doing anything wrong, and they probably know their product isn't any better, but they are not going to say that and get their butts kicked!!

tadz0rz
Genius
Genius

Postby tadz0rz » Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:53 pm

so you think it might just be better to get both rotors changed to be on the safe side?

edit: Yeahhh your right lzy. Ill go on the safe side and order 2 rotors

LZY_EYE
Genius
Genius

Postby LZY_EYE » Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:57 pm

I personally would... at the price Ofey is quoting, I wouldn't muck around... The cost of machining wouldn't be much less.

And then you know 100% everything is sweet.

Return to “General Talk”