***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

two questions.

Start a Topic! Have Your Say & Talk About Anything.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Haza92
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

two questions.

Postby Haza92 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:59 pm

1. has anyone on in the club heat wrapped their headers/extractors? if so, did you notice any benefits? e.g temp lowering, hp gain etc.

(also has anyone wrapped their air intake piping? heard that's really good to do as well)

2. Image

where can I find an hose attachment like this from the OEM intake to a 3" pod filter?

thanks in advance

lancerdarryl
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby lancerdarryl » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:23 pm

1. Not worth the effort and time
2. Don't put a pod filter on.You will get better results using a quality panel
filter.
Evolution X MR+ Lancer VRX Sportback +LA Lancer GSR
"Don't back off until you hit something"

efod3
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby efod3 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:59 pm

1. What Darryl said. If you are changing manifolds then wrapping is an option, but you will never notice any power or torque difference. If you aren't changing then forget it.

2. What Darryl said. If you like noise then go a cold air intake, that style will do nothing, OK the a CAI or panel won't do much either but each has its benefits, CAI sounds good and the K&N/cosworth etc style panels work... allegedly. Please don't ask which is best, just buy one and live with it.

Haza92
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Haza92 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:16 pm

Changing my headers to supercircuit 4-2-1 headers 304 stainless steel. Wouldn't bother with stock lol

Anhevius
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Anhevius » Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:33 am

With our cars, the air flow rate isn't enough to see a difference from switching between a panel filter and a pod. The only times you will see a requirement for air flow that exceeds the panel filters capabilities is with turbocharging (quite a lot) a four cylinder, a big V6 (like the 3.8L in my 380), or a V8.

Heat wrapping the exhaust. I've heard so many different arguments both for and against this. To be fair, if you've got a V-block engine, it CAN help keep engine bay heat down, and prolong the life of rubber gaskets (like your rocker covers). Aside from that, I haven't seen anyone able to give real tangible proof that it does anything to increase performance, but you will always hear people that swear by it. In my opinion, for an inline engine, this is a cosmetic thing, and only worth the time if YOU feel it is.

Now, when it comes to wrapping the intake, I could see the benefit to this, as it would shield it from absorbing engine bay heat. Would it be a major difference? Not really. Would it matter if you were doing everything you could to eke out every single drop of potential power from your car? Definitely.

Return to “General Talk”