***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

does anyone elses na lancer pop or crackle when u downshift

Start a Topic! Have Your Say & Talk About Anything.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

brent0013
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby brent0013 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:05 am

yer it looks like its common and yes mine does too also changing to reverse very very rarely but it does do it

cj_sx_2011
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby cj_sx_2011 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:00 am

hey again all :)

mitch, i remember seeing that exhaust when i was looking for mine, but didnt think itd be to loud so i didnt go with it,

timmy , mine nearly sounds the same as yours but i think mine might be alittle louder and tiny bit different note, but yours might be alittle louder on idle aye,

josh, i didnt hear bout borla every having a muffler on a lancer i know they on commodore and falcons and that, ive removed my resonator to

luke, you serious a flame :) what exhaust work have u done mate?

chris, i thought stainless steel was a shit exhaust, is what ive been told, not saying that it is, just what ive heard,

brenton, what exhaust u got?

i only asking ppl what they got, coz i want mine to pop more and get crackle more, and a flame shit thatd be nice lol..

AdamD
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby AdamD » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:21 am

cj_sx_2011 wrote:chris, i thought stainless steel was a shit exhaust, is what ive been told, not saying that it is, just what ive heard,

I know some people don't like stainless steel purely because of the added weight over a conventional mild steel system. However, stainless does have the following key attributes:

- It will not rust, ever. Should last longer than your car.
- Looks much better and more professional than a mild steel exhaust.
- It is heavier then mild steel, but not by that much. Hell, we'd all have titanium exhausts if we could afford it.
- I also assume that it will heat differently to a mild steel, and also give off a different sound.

But, if I was to pay for a full system, I would pay the extra for the stainless one. You know that it wouldn't rust out after a couple of years.

Also, it would be easier to on sell if you were to part the car out at a later date.

cj_sx_2011
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby cj_sx_2011 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:20 pm

i didnt think of it in that way adam, and i would have to agree with you, i was thinking of upgrading my exhaust maybe, after i get strutbar and maybe coilovers. so ill keep this in mind aye.

HobartLancer09
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby HobartLancer09 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:09 pm

Yeah mine mostly does it on the downshift 4-3,3-2.

Rear resonator removed and a redback muffler fitted.

Upgrading to a 2.5" custom system soon so will be interesting to see how it sounds after that...

SAM-24A
Alumni
Alumni

Postby SAM-24A » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:31 pm

Many members are stating that they hear crackle & popping sounds coming from your exhaust.

Some of your reckon it sounds great, whilst some aren't sure if it's OK or the onset of something more mechanically serious.

Mechanical & electrical engine factors which can either cause or contribute to the popping & crackling can include factors such as mistimed valve timing, mistimed ignition timing, burnt exhaust valve, unseated exhaust valve, over-rich carburetor mixture, cracked distributor cap.

OK OK ..... I hear you saying WTF !!!
We don't have carby's or distributors & the valve/ignition timing & fuel mixtures is all controlled via the ECU (Eng Control Unit) .....
So how can it be any of those factors.

Your right ..... we don't have any of those Older Adjustable Mechanical Units on our Modern day Lancer engines.

So it leaves one thing as the most often & obvious contributor ..... Rich AFR (Air Fuel Ratio)

It's a very well known fact, that our Lancers are deliberately tuned/calibrated Rich from the factory.

This Rich calibration is deliberate because it allows the Engine to run Cooler & hence, more safely when subjected to varying Environmental temperatures & conditions.
Leaner mixtures (whilst yielding more power) promote Heat, which will increase the detrimental effects within the engine's combustion chambers and its associated components.

Therefore, the popping & crackling is attributed to the Rich Mixture .....
But How:
If you drive/accelerate in a spirited manner (above the normal & mundane level) you will cause an extra amount of unburnt fuel to be expelled from your engine into your exhaust system.
Your extremely hot exhaust will ignite this unburnt fuel thus causing minor explosions (pops) which reverberate (crackle) within the exhaust mid-pipe and mufflers.

Most members who have modded their engines to include CIA's/SRI's & Exhaust's will (in some cases) find the popping & crackling to be more evident.

Is it Bad for my engine: No ... Not generally .... remember a Richer mixture is far less detrimental than a Leaner mixture.
However a richer and often more accelerated engine will obviously consume more fuel and increase running costs.
Also, a richer fuel mixture will also enhance carbon build-up within the mufflers and Cat.

Solution: Have your engine Tuned (Dyno, Virtual etc)
There's not much point adding Performance Enhanced products to your engine with the anticipation of gaining more power without having your ECU re-calibrated/tuned to suit and make the best of those mods.

The Tune obviously & also allows the AFR's (Air Fuel Ratio's) to be adjusted/calibrated to achieve the best balance between Power & Consumptions in keeping with the fitted mods, and minimize the amount of unburnt fuel expelled from your engine even during spirited driving.

Hope this helps Dispel the Pop & Crackle Myth.

Sam ..... *thumb*
Merlinised AspiRe 2.4L

cj_sx_2011
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby cj_sx_2011 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:11 am

sam, i do understand everything that youve said in that thing u wrote, but i dont accelerate stupidly and drive like a dick, im saying this happens when i drive normally, change 20 40 60 70-80, and the same when downshifting while basically driving like a nana and it happens

paul, it would be good to see the end result when u got custom exhaust man,

Dirtee
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Dirtee » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:12 am

SAM IS SO DAMN HELPFUL! My exhaust tip is black and its slowly starting to spread to the bumper... need ma tune NOW~
2010 Lancer Es - My Ride
Wanna be customiser!!
ACT Rep 2012
CJLancerInstalls - How-To's!

HobartLancer09
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby HobartLancer09 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:23 am

Yeah, Ricky:) At this stage hopefully it will be done next thurs and friday, depends on when the parts arrive. Will post some photos from underneath before its dropped...

LZY_EYE
Genius
Genius

Postby LZY_EYE » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:33 am

Paul, I wouldn't recommend a 2.5" for your 2l unless you have some serious work done to the engine.

Bigger is not always better when it comes to exhausts.

I personally wouldn't go any more than 2 1/4"

With a 2.5" you may end up losing some of your low down power...

HobartLancer09
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby HobartLancer09 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:59 am

Yeah well thats what i thought too. The guy at the exhaust shop thought that with all the bends it shouldnt make too much difference:( i did only want to do it 2 1/4. I might ring him this morning before he orders the parts..

LZY_EYE
Genius
Genius

Postby LZY_EYE » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:07 am

I did a fair bit of research at various exhaust places. A lot suggested stay at 2" and no larger than 2 1/4"

HobartLancer09
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby HobartLancer09 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:10 am

Yeah thats what i thought too, thanks shane..

MattyvR
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby MattyvR » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:02 am

brent0013 wrote:yer it looks like its common and yes mine does too also changing to reverse very very rarely but it does do it

Changing into reverse? Really? I seriously have to doubt that unless you start rolling down a hill backwards and then change into reverse...

Return to “General Talk”