***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

To change or not to change...

Start a Topic! Have Your Say & Talk About Anything.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

To change to the mx-5 or not

MX-5
18%
Lancer
82%

Total votes: 11

klvru
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

To change or not to change...

Postby klvru » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:41 am

Hey guys,

As you all know I just bought the lancer not long ago, however I'm thinking of changing it to a Mazda MX-5

My Lancer has done 40k and the
MX 5 around 85k!

Things that I am concern are it is a RWD(worry I get lots of sliding :( ), running cost, it's high mileage and resale value.

I will only be driving the car for 2 years, and will definitely do less than 15k per year.

What are your thoughts in this?

P.S If I do get the MX5, I will still stay and spend my time in this forum. I may not be very active but I like CCJ a lot for some reason!

P.P.S Sorry I don't know how to embed a link, anyone can teach me
Last edited by klvru on Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:18 pm, edited 8 times in total.

lancervr
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby lancervr » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:14 am

that car has done alot of KMs..... might be faced with some big bills in changing of worn parts despite the nice price....

~LancerVR~
Your friendly neighbourhood Red Devil (cj-red)

Dire
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Dire » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:11 am

I'd rather an s2000 (and a lot of people know I want one :P). Faster in a straight line, and more ricey/mod friendly. Hard to get low km non-modded ones though.
I'm not a fan of that gen MX-5 either but thats irrelevant...

You won't have sliding problems in an MX-5... Its basically the same power as a lancer, except RWD, so it'll stick like glue unless you're being an idiot or on a terrible road/in the rain. He says it has good tyres too which is hard to lie about.

Always take owner comments with a grain of salt but I'm not seeing any warning flags... Just the standard BS. If theres no mods and you go see it yourself and its clean, I'd trust it fairly well (especially if the leather is nice. People who thrash their cars generally don't keep them pristine at least).

Also, find out what dealership it was serviced at and ask them what kms its been brought in at.

To me 85,000 isn't a lot. They aren't powerful cars so they won't really wear out in ways some other sports cars would.

I'm not a mechanical person so I won't give advice on that but obviously look for gutter rash, stone chips, any signs of damage (don't believe what sellers say). Get down on your knees and have a look at the grilles and lights and panel gaps. Have a GOOD look at the roof, inside and out.

Even if you're not a mechanical person either, pay attention to details in the engine bay. If anything looks funny it probably is. Wiring, belts, idk :P

(sorry, its late, pay attention to whatever you want out of that)

---

Now I'll ask; why an MX-5? Also, got any other options to explore as well? (so you make the right choice, not because I think an MX-5 is the wrong one).

Also, will it be garaged? Remember soft tops need to be looked after to some extent.

I also hope you've done your research and realized MX-5's aren't 'fast' in a straight line, just around corners. Don't expect its power to blow you away :P
On that note, if you're not a spirited driver, an MX-5 isn't going to do much for you.

lancervr
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby lancervr » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:17 am

I agree with jake and also rmbr this mx5 is a lot of heavier than the older ones so wont be as quick as the older gen models so one more thing to think about.... ure lancer might be quicker in a straightline.....

~LancerVR~

Your friendly neighbourhood Red Devil (cj-red)

Dire
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Dire » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:21 am

Nahh current MX-5s are still a good 200kg less than a lancer. MX-5 will be faster but its no v8 or turbo.

Also I didn't mention that but yeah, I'm a fan of MX-5's in a 'buy an old cheap featherweight one for a couple of grand and drive the hell out of it' way :lol:

Gleno
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby Gleno » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:12 am

Go with the heart. My moto is if your not 100% sure in doing something then don't do it or hold back for a while.
Good luck with your decision an let us know how you go :)

bd-850
Alumni
Alumni

Postby bd-850 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:14 am

The MX-5 is a great car, quicker than the Lancer (not by much but coming from a 2L you will feel it), and hell of a lot quicker around corners.

But you will have to look at your lifestyle, how much stuff do you put in the boot? (boot isnt very big) how often do you carry passengers? whats your neighbor hood like? (convertibles are very easy to break into)

If your only young and have money to waste go for the MX5, get one now while your young and can enjoy it, coz later in life you will have to be Mr Sensible and get that practical car for family.

BrownSound
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby BrownSound » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:20 pm

I know its a different model but they still have a lot of praise for the mx-5 in general - Top Gear Video

klvru
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby klvru » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:37 pm

lancervr wrote:that car has done alot of KMs..... might be faced with some big bills in changing of worn parts despite the nice price....

Yea that's the thing I am worry about as I have no experience with car that high in mileage so I really got no idea and hence hoping you guys could help me out

Dire wrote:Id rather an s2000 (and a lot of people know I want one :P). Faster in a straight line, and more ricey/mod friendly. Hard to get low km non-modded ones though. Im not a fan of that gen MX-5 either but thats irrelevant... You wont have sliding problems in an MX-5... Its basically the same power as a lancer, except RWD, so itll stick like glue unless youre being an idiot or on a terrible road/in the rain. He says it has good tyres too which is hard to lie about. Always take owner comments with a grain of salt but Im not seeing any warning flags... Just the standard BS. If theres no mods and you go see it yourself and its clean, Id trust it fairly well (especially if the leather is nice. People who thrash their cars generally dont keep them pristine at least). Also, find out what dealership it was serviced at and ask them what kms its been brought in at. To me 85,000 isnt a lot. They arent powerful cars so they wont really wear out in ways some other sports cars would. Im not a mechanical person so I wont give advice on that but obviously look for gutter rash, stone chips, any signs of damage (dont believe what sellers say). Get down on your knees and have a look at the grilles and lights and panel gaps. Have a GOOD look at the roof, inside and out. Even if youre not a mechanical person either, pay attention to details in the engine bay. If anything looks funny it probably is. Wiring, belts, idk :P (sorry, its late, pay attention to whatever you want out of that) --- Now Ill ask; why an MX-5? Also, got any other options to explore as well? (so you make the right choice, not because I think an MX-5 is the wrong one). Also, will it be garaged? Remember soft tops need to be looked after to some extent. I also hope youve done your research and realized MX-5s arent fast in a straight line, just around corners. Dont expect its power to blow you away :P On that note, if youre not a spirited driver, an MX-5 isnt going to do much for you.

S2000! Is great car IMO, but is difficult to find one in good condition. And is probably a huge learning curve for me to conquer a FR car. Would rather learn it with the mx-5 and getting some fun out of it:)

Thanks for your advice! Hmmm do you think it will be a good idea to forge out a hundred to two hundred to get an independent inspection on the car?

I guess the thing that worried me the most is the softtop and any major mechanical wear that require costly replacement.

Back to the question why MX-5. I always like mx-5 and I think is really good car to drive and have fun with. I'm not looking for full on power, I'm more into handling but if there is more power to it that will be great!

Other cars that I have in mind is the Renault Sport Megane R26 but is out of my budget, and the
Honda Civic FN2 Type R However it has been through 110k kms! So that turns me off and again I have no experience with car that high in mileage (not sure if the wear and tear would cost any costly replacement) and that's the only one that is within my budget!

Dire wrote:Nahh current MX-5s are still a good 200kg less than a lancer. MX-5 will be faster but its no v8 or turbo. Also I didnt mention that but yeah, Im a fan of MX-5s in a buy an old cheap featherweight one for a couple of grand and drive the hell out of it way :lol:

I'm sure the MX-5 will be a lot more fun around the corner :) and that's why im looking to change

bd-850 wrote:The MX-5 is a great car, quicker than the Lancer (not by much but coming from a 2L you will feel it), and hell of a lot quicker around corners. But you will have to look at your lifestyle, how much stuff do you put in the boot? (boot isnt very big) how often do you carry passengers? whats your neighbor hood like? (convertibles are very easy to break into) If your only young and have money to waste go for the MX5, get one now while your young and can enjoy it, coz later in life you will have to be Mr Sensible and get that practical car for family.

I thought about this problem before, but I'm 21 year old uni student so to be honest I won't be fetching anyone around much other than my sister. I don't usually carry much stuff other than the once in a blue moon that requires me to fetch my sis to airport with her luggage. And probably my mates will hate me when they need a lift and I can't give one but how often would that be.. Ahh.. I never thought of the breaking in issue, I'm staying around uni and currently have a car port but not so sure about next year.

Lastly, I can't see myself driving a car like this in the future so would like to enjoy it now while I can.

BrownSound wrote:I know its a different model but they still have a lot of praise for the mx-5 in general - Top Gear Video
[img]Image%20Location[/img]

Yea I saw that before! :) Thanks!!

P.S Anyone have a thought on the Civic Type R that I posted up? and I found another MX-5 but is in NSW :( and what does Street-driven one-off means?

P.P.S I just realize the mx-5 that i posted on the first link is in the same suburb as I am

klvru
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby klvru » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:36 pm

by the way i just realize the 2005 MX-5 does not have Dynamic Stability Control/Traction Control :(

So these are the car that I have in mind and fits in the budget

MX 5
Honda Civic FN2 Type R
MX-5
Last edited by klvru on Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aaron2550
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Aaron2550 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:03 pm

Take all the pros & cons into consideration, but in the end go with your heart.

bd-850
Alumni
Alumni

Postby bd-850 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:55 am

from reading, you want a mx5 but worried your gonna get yourself in trouble with the RWD, so you thought Civic Type R, have a look at the EP3 Type R, its quicker than FN2 R, and much better looking IMO

Chubb
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Chubb » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:37 am

S2000! Is great car IMO, but is difficult to find one in good condition. And is probably a huge learning curve for me to conquer a FR car.

Learning curve? a FR car is not a weapon of death that will kill you on the first corner, if any thing a FR car is alot easier to control on the edge of grip then a FF car. If you were however going to a super charged or turbo charged ute like I'am considering you may have some scary moments :twisted:

whats your neighbor hood like? (convertibles are very easy to break into)

All cars are easy to break into when using a criminal master key (commonly known as a brick, or the light weight version the half brick :P). A convertible top requires something sharp to cut it, while a window only requires a quick kick from a boot. Solution insurance plus alarm.

Hmmm do you think it will be a good idea to forge out a hundred to two hundred to get an independent inspection on the car?

Hmmm YES YES YES!!!! would you rather spend $20,000 on a lemon or $200 on a check??? NEVER buy a second hand without getting it checked, also check to see if it has been on the repairable write off registry as well.

My Final word:
No an over grown RWD go kart will not kill you in the first bend. Now this is just my opinion so take it with a grain of salt and tell me to piss off but I have always seen the MX5 as a hair dressers car when they are stock, but they can look really nice with a subtle body kit and exhaust so get your mod on :D.

SXLancerMum
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby SXLancerMum » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:42 am

Mazdas are brilliant little cars that are mostly extremely reliable. 85000 kms isn't really that much on them. Mine has 180,000 and is nearly 15 and it's still purring along nicely. It was 11 when it got new brakes and a new clutch and I drive it hard. It's a 121 but they are all the same in the reliability department. The old 929 Coupe was 21 when I got the engine rebuilt. I'm sure you'll find that the MX5 is no different.

You're young and the MX5 is fun. Go for it now before you get married and the wife insists that you sell it for a family SUV (mind you I'm not that sort of wife and I'd insist on keeping the MX5 and getting something bigger as well). My 20 year olds first car at 17 was a 1979 Series 1 RX7 that I went halves with him in. Most fun you can have with your pants on.

My young fun cars were a 1970 Mini K 1100 and then a 1973 Mazda 929 Coupe (pointy nose RX4 shape) and boy did I have a great time with them. My retirement car was going to be an RX8 :) Got to have some fun sometime :)

On the breaking in issue......you can get hard top MX5s. I actually prefer those myself.

klvru
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby klvru » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:10 pm

Aaron2550 wrote:Take all the pros & cons into consideration, but in the end go with your heart.

I would love to go with my heart but I'm really afraid of forging out huge some of money for repairing shits where I could have use that money to mod the lancer or to get some other stuffs that I want to

bd-850 wrote:from reading, you want a mx5 but worried your gonna get yourself in trouble with the RWD, so you thought Civic Type R, have a look at the EP3 Type R, its quicker than FN2 R, and much better looking IMO

If I get to choose, I would get the Type R over the mx5. Just that previously I never get to find any type r that is within my budget so yea.

I considered EP3 before and I have to agree is a much better car than the FN2 R. However since I'm going to drive it as a daily car hence I would want a more decent interior, I'm weird I know :( lol

Chubb wrote:[quote:a79a2abc94]S2000! Is great car IMO, but is difficult to find one in good condition. And is probably a huge learning curve for me to conquer a FR car. [/quote:a79a2abc94] Learning curve? a FR car is not a weapon of death that will kill you on the first corner, if any thing a FR car is alot easier to control on the edge of grip then a FF car. If you were however going to a super charged or turbo charged ute like Iam considering you may have some scary moments :twisted: [quote:a79a2abc94]whats your neighbor hood like? (convertibles are very easy to break into)[/quote:a79a2abc94] All cars are easy to break into when using a criminal master key (commonly known as a brick, or the light weight version the half brick :P). A convertible top requires something sharp to cut it, while a window only requires a quick kick from a boot. Solution insurance plus alarm. [quote:a79a2abc94] Hmmm do you think it will be a good idea to forge out a hundred to two hundred to get an independent inspection on the car?[/quote:a79a2abc94] Hmmm YES YES YES!!!! would you rather spend $20,000 on a lemon or $200 on a check??? NEVER buy a second hand without getting it checked, also check to see if it has been on the repairable write off registry as well. My Final word: No an over grown RWD go kart will not kill you in the first bend. Now this is just my opinion so take it with a grain of salt and tell me to piss off but I have always seen the MX5 as a hair dressers car when they are stock, but they can look really nice with a subtle body kit and exhaust so get your mod on :D.

Haha yea is not a weapon of death, but I have been into a 350Z and it was quite difficult to master it in a track. But it is a lot nicer to drive if is within the limit/grip.

Nah, you could break in with a fist wrapped in clothe! :P Much easier IMO hah!

Guess if I do plan to get either the mx-5 or the fn2r, I will bring it to an independent check. Anyone know a good one in Brisbane? And I assume the check would list out what needs to be replace and what not?

Haha I actually have to agree with you on that, but not on the first gen of MX-5. It has great potential as a project for track car

SXLancerMum wrote:Mazdas are brilliant little cars that are mostly extremely reliable. 85000 kms isnt really that much on them. Mine has 180,000 and is nearly 15 and its still purring along nicely. It was 11 when it got new brakes and a new clutch and I drive it hard. Its a 121 but they are all the same in the reliability department. The old 929 Coupe was 21 when I got the engine rebuilt. Im sure youll find that the MX5 is no different. Youre young and the MX5 is fun. Go for it now before you get married and the wife insists that you sell it for a family SUV (mind you Im not that sort of wife and Id insist on keeping the MX5 and getting something bigger as well). My 20 year olds first car at 17 was a 1979 Series 1 RX7 that I went halves with him in. Most fun you can have with your pants on. My young fun cars were a 1970 Mini K 1100 and then a 1973 Mazda 929 Coupe (pointy nose RX4 shape) and boy did I have a great time with them. My retirement car was going to be an RX8 :) Got to have some fun sometime :) On the breaking in issue......you can get hard top MX5s. I actually prefer those myself.

Haha yea!! I hope my future wife would understand and let me have a not-so-practical car :P

From what I know, it does seems like a pretty cheap car to run since it has change to timing chain so there's no need for replacement of the timing belt etc other than spark plug at the 100k service or so. :) But things that worry me is that, the MX-5 that I have my eye on does not come with the Dynamic Stability Control and Traction control.

The series 1 RX7 is a great car IMO, one of the car that I would get as a collector, along with the Corolla AE86 :)

I do prefer the hard top but budget is an issue so yea *Cry*

I think I might give the FN2R a good look and see how it goes. I know the 110k service is just a checkup but the 120k seems like a bomb(600-900$) according to carservice.com.au! Might give honda a call.

By the way, anyone of you guys used Touch Up Guys before? If I'm selling the lancer I would need to fix 2 trolley dents made by some ignorant people + paint chips and a small scratch/dent cause by someone reverse his tow bar into my rear end without leaving a note!

Return to “General Talk”