***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

What did you do on your car today?

Start a Topic! Have Your Say & Talk About Anything.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

tjoz
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby tjoz » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:06 pm

How do you crush the door?? Insurance will get you a new one or panel beater will fix it. Its only frustrating when you know how much room/clearance you have to work with yet you still manage to have contact.

I had my exhaust looked at today and its all fine; the intake was making the sound. Altered full exhaust/headers and an altered stock intake sometimes dont go well.

Also over the last few weeks have been doing test fits of charger to see where it can fit and also took it to some people to see what they thought of it. They thought I will need a lot of money :lol: Only two places the charger can go; on top of the engine or in front of it on side/angle. Cant go up the back as that much altering of the throttle body (location wise) will have a negative effect. Good news is throttle body in the Lancer is charger friendly. Thats about the end of the good news. Slightly good news is I will be swapping the radiator and the fans for a Mishimoto set. Not only less weight but is slimmer than stock set up which frees up some room in the engine bay as I will need all the room I can get... Highly likely my bonnet will have to be altered to either XR8 type bonnet bulge or Corvette ZR1 exposure.

That should get rid of the Evo confusion people seem to have with my car :lol:

Nick07
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Nick07 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:59 pm

Tim, you don't have to answer if you don't want to, but how much do you think this car is going to cost once it is fully complete? Sounds like a massive job, best of luck.

tjoz
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby tjoz » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:03 am

All up around 15-16k. Including price of the car I will come in around 37k. For the price, anyone would default towards the RA but for similar money (maybe little more or little less) I have something no one else has; a performance car that does not follow the cookie cutter format (turbo and/or AWD). Its not about outdoing the factory performance option but to show people that there are alternatives to turbo and AWD if you got the balls to go ahead with it.

It wont be easy but the end goal is worth it. The car is trial and error; no previous example to go off. Some mods work and some dont. Money will be lost but that comes with the territory. You never learn if you never experience any setbacks/failure.

SAM-24A
Alumni
Alumni

Postby SAM-24A » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:00 am

@ Tim,

I have long thought of Super Charging post vehicles of mine, but Money & Developed Modification have often Outweighed the Gain.

However, since
you got the balls to go ahead with it.
and clearly set your mind on Super Charging your Lancer,
I'd like to know if you have considered any internal strengthening of engine components to cope with the increased pressures that will be introduced into your engine via the Super Chargers Forced Induction process.

Example:
* Forged Pistons
* Forged Con-Rods (or at least Close'n'Hone, Shot-Peen & Higher Tensile Bolts for increased Strength)
* Forged Crankshaft (or at least, Nitride the Crankshaft, a High Temperature Treatment for a measured time period which Tightens the Molecular Cell Structure of the Steel and Toughens it too a Higher standard than the factory Mass Produced item)
* High Volume Oil Pump (to compensate for the Increased Lubricant Loads)
* Engine Oil Cooler (to compensate for the Increased Engine Oil Temps)
* Larger Radiator (to compensate for the Increased Engine Running Temps)
* Dyno Tune (to adjust the ECU to correspond with the Faster Acceleration Cycles of the Engine - Throttle Response)

Let us know what you have considered so far.
It would be interesting to know how your Lancer results as a proving ground for future Performance Seeking Modders albeit you would like to remain Unique !!

Regards: Sam.
Last edited by SAM-24A on Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sam ..... *thumb*
Merlinised MIVEC - AspiRe 2.4L

SAM-24A
Alumni
Alumni

Postby SAM-24A » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:08 am

@ Tim,

I see that RPW supplies Forged Conrods for the Lancer engine.

Perhaps David Thomas can advise and/or provide you with some field test results or the names of customers you can talk with for opinions.

Sam.
Sam ..... *thumb*

tjoz
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby tjoz » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:14 am

Already spoke to David on this many times last year :wink: These are what are coming that are specifically for the charger:

-Forged rods, pistons and camshafts (we spoke of either using Evo gear or alternatives)
-Mishimoto radiator and cooling fans (swapping out the stock units as chargers run more heat than a turbo, Mishimoto offers an improved cooling units at less weight compared to OEM levels)
-LSD (so the power delivery has a better translation to the wheels and already brought)
-Lightweight pulley to lessen the parasitic effect of the charger
-Custom 'double barrel' CF intake set up (you guys will see progress on this over the next few months. Exclusive set up for charged applications)
-Throttle body relocation (this is a maybe, wont know until actual instal but so far location of TB in Lancers is charger friendly)
-Intercooler as a precaution; not needed as charger is low boost but we decided its better to be safe then sorry
-Upgraded clutch and flywheel to handle higher power output
-Custom intake plenim for charged applications (CF most likely)
-Relocation of battery to the boot to free up room
-Custom ECU tune
-Custom engine cover (see next point)
-Altered bonnet as no Lancer hood can take a twin screw charger (clearance issues)
-Upgraded brakes
-Extensive weight reduction as added weight is going into the engine bay (roughly 25kg including charger, intake, intercooler and LSD)

The charger install will be done here in Melbourne and further tuning may be done over in WA. At moment I am asking around about durabilty and any concerns over CF component parts (intake plenim, piping from charger to intake plenim, throttle body and intake). Not only is the car being charged, weight is also being dropped. Also heading into CF creations as simply no parts exist for what I want to do. David and I also spoke on last year about using RA plumbing gear.

The biggest concern is mounting the charger. Hopefully when the Mishimoto parts are in; enough room has been freed up in front of the engine so charger can be mounted on its side directly in front of the intake plenim. As I am going with a twin screw charger, the whole process is more involved. If I went with a centrifugal charger, process is much easier as I can use most parts from the Magna/380 charger kits.

Much thought and groundwork has gone into this already.

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:29 pm

Last night and today I fitted my BC coilovers.

I believe it now sits about 40mm lower then standard. I took it for a drive and it is very comfortable. It is not a hard ride compared to lowered springs of the same height.

Today I purchased some camber bolts and fitted them to the front. They did not work as designed but I did manage to work out how to adjust the camber.

RAwannabe
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Blue Caliper

Postby RAwannabe » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:16 pm

most ppl painted their caliper RED so I decided to try something different and have mine painted BLUE today. Looks good on a black car, 4 more black rims will make it perfect. Can check it out at my Garage under my mod[/img]

tadz0rz
Genius
Genius

Postby tadz0rz » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:12 am

Washed it today, got it in preperation for tomorrow night for when I get my licence back :D

Plus I wanted a reason to mess with my camera xD

Got a question? Read the ClubCJ Ultimate Guide First!!
Just...Dont worry about it ;)Dont Click Me

fazzle
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby fazzle » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:26 am

aspir3 wrote:Image

Your numberplate is crooked Mr Pedantic. *eek* *peep*

ripflare10
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby ripflare10 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:27 am

Well today I tried to use the carbon fiber 3m stuff I got from super cheap auto for the interior. Unfortunately my ability to use tools and such came through and it turned into a disaster. Basically just did one part and gave up before I made it look any worse lol. Here was the end result.

But I did do something productive. I got proper car cleaning products and gave it a good clean inside and out. Cleaning the car always makes my mind feel refreshed. I know I'm weird but it does.

SAM-24A
Alumni
Alumni

Postby SAM-24A » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:42 am

Good Eye for detail there Fazzle:

Your right, Troys' front plate is crooked, *eek*
But it wont matter much, since his plates are held on with Velcro Tape *rolleyes* and he can straighten them at any time.

I sometimes wonder what the neighbours think when they see his Lancer on the street.
They probably all rush to the phone to call the Local Newspaper for a Scoop Shoot to record a phenomenally unusual event. :twisted:

Sam. *biggrin1* *bolt*

PS: I can almost feel the "Pain of Payback" already, after Troy reads this. *wacko*
Sam ..... *thumb*

SXy2010
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby SXy2010 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:46 am

i often wonder how troys legs feel after he pushes the car out into the street and back in after the photo shoot :)
no turbo no awd but she's all white
dob 12/10/2010 at booths mitsubishi gosford
2 pipes are better than 1

vlad_the_impaler
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby vlad_the_impaler » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:54 pm

Today I've managed to instal the CAI:

the whole installation was a bit tricky cos I've decided not to remove whole bumper as per instructons...

took car for a short ride... first impression is "WOOWW!!! WOHOOO!!!" - the car is picking up much much noticeable and easy even comparing with RA snorkel and panel filter... sound is a bit throaty and deep...

I just can imagine now how the car will improve with proper exaust and headers!

SAM-24A
Alumni
Alumni

Postby SAM-24A » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:07 pm

That looks like a very neat install Vlad, Well Done.

Have you noticed any markable increase in power.

Sam.
Sam ..... *thumb*

Return to “General Talk”