***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Vid that might change how some of us drive.

Start a Topic! Have Your Say & Talk About Anything.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

MitsuLove
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby MitsuLove » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:14 pm

i saw this through facebook awhile back, it made me cry :-(

even though some of it isn't real, it really makes you think... you don't forget in a hurry either. sobering stuff when you own a performance car - definitely a reminder to keep the "performance" part off public roads!

if any of you out there have "hoon" tendencies, i suggest you watch this video and consider if it's worth it.

Mitch
Alumni
Alumni

Postby Mitch » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:33 pm

i will deffinantly 100 Percent change the way i drive i will deffinantly not me impatient on the roads now. I admit i made a stupid mistake 2 months ago and it taught me a lesson but these videos deffinantly make you think about the way you drive.

please to all the other out there think about how you drive and change slow the heck down. and calm down on the roads

bryzabone
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby bryzabone » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:05 pm

ive done 2 courses, one advanced driving techniques, a defensive/safe driving course, and im doing another advanced car control course in a month.
these guys you should check out. the defensive courses are in their cars, the advanced stuff, your and theirs.

http://www.sdt.com.au/safe-driving-programs-defp.html

non-abs, non-esc skid-pan swerve-n-brake ftw! :)
For every "Drive Safely" sign, shouldn't there be a "Resume Normal Driving" sign?

tomtom
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby tomtom » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:12 pm

Quixand wrote:you even get honked by them for being not "fast enough" for their standards even if you're right on the speed limit, and when you let them pass they even give you a bad look like you did something wrong and not them.. haha!

I get so sick of people tail gating me because I do the speed limit. As well as being safe, I dont have the points like a full licenced driver, I get caught speeding, Ill lose my licence...full stop.

This video really makes me stop and think about those times I put my foot down in quiet street, never know whats going to pop out...but the bad thing is, we can 'change' our driving habits after watching this, but how many of those clips had someone else getting killed due to another driver. This video should be shown to everyone everytime they renew, get or anything their licence - but thats never going to happen

MitsuLove
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby MitsuLove » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:53 pm

i agree with you Bryan that driving courses are a great idea - as long as the driver attitude isn't that they now "know how to hoon" - which could make it a whole lot worse!

try driving on Perth roads for one day. it's a complete joke how half these people even got a licence. next to no-one follows even the simplest road rules, so therefore almost everyone (including myself at times) has road rage. speeding is almost the norm, but then all the actual slow drivers (under the speed limit, plenty of those too!) don't keep left so it encourages bad behaviour. merging is a mission impossible, courtesy actually surprises you and apparently 500 plus dollar fines for using a mobile phone while driving doesn't deter about 1 in 10 people...i could go on forever.

and the biggest culprits aren't necessarily younger drivers either, coz these days they're probably better trained than i was (there was no mandatory driving hours requirement back when i got my licence).

i think the whole system should be overhauled and a defensive driving course be a requirement of getting a licence, just for starters. safer cars should be encouraged, even subsidised by the government - how much less injury or death would we have if all people had 5 star safety rated cars like our CJ's rather than old bombs with no modern safety features? make motorsport more accessible too, take it off the streets.

but the biggest problem still comes back to attitude, and that is far harder to change. realistically it would take generations to eradicate the hoon culture and general driver laziness in this country.

if this video even makes one person change their bad habits on the roads though, it will have done more than our useless government for road safety!

Quixand
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Quixand » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:42 pm

that is very good to hear tomtom.. nice attitude.

you would make an excellent full license holder later on.. if all young drivers would have the same attitude and start off early knowing how to drive responsibly and not act like they are invincible on the road then it will all be better going forward.

for us old school types it's a change of attitude that's needed, which is often harder to do than just developing a new one for new new drivers. i have to admit that i do have several road mannerisms which i wouldn't recommend and it would be hard to unlearn them all.. but the important thing is we try our best and give maximum effort in understanding and following the road rules.

so far i haven't had a single demerit point in the 13 years i have had a license and not a single insurance claim.. and i will try my best to maintain that not because i don't want to pay the fine, or because i don't want to lose points but simply because it is the responsible thing to do.

that's why everytime somebody i know with a leaners come to me and ask me to sit with them not only do i impart technical know-how in driving by ethical knowledge as well.

bryzabone
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby bryzabone » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:50 pm

honestly guys, i cant stress enough, do the driver training courses. Even if your a good driver.
I was used to older cars, and it wasn't till i crunched my nose in on my CJ, (into the back of another CJ hatch BTW ;) )i realised(after the course) i didn't actually learn how to brake properly. This sounds ludicrous, but trust me.
Reactive driving, not predictive will get you out of trouble.
The best way to impress mates, is to have avoided an accident!
For every "Drive Safely" sign, shouldn't there be a "Resume Normal Driving" sign?

tomtom
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby tomtom » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:08 pm

MitsuLove wrote:and the biggest culprits aren't necessarily younger drivers either, coz these days they're probably better trained than i was (there was no mandatory driving hours requirement back when i got my licence).

Ive found quite often that the culprits of this bad driving are middle aged(35-55) women (this is more to do with tailgating). Im not being sexist or anything, just what ive noticed.

I dont know about better trained, i think they made a mistake making leaners complete 120 hours of driving- so many people to 10-20 and fake the rest. I know so many that didnt do anywhere near enough and they managed to get their licence. Also, some RTA's are known to be easier to pass at then others, and im telling you now, youngins flock to them for their driving test. Im so sick of people my age and a few years younger doing 10-20 hours in an auto and going to the RTA they know passes people easily. Every leaner driver should learn manual in my opinion ( :P i know some people dont have access to one though) and as someone stated before do a driving safety course that gives you say 60 hours towards your 120.

The X
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby The X » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:57 pm

What's behaviour is common in most of the scenarios portrayed?

Anyone?
"the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear"
More pix @ http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?t=8779
ImageImage

Tarquin
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Tarquin » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:35 pm

Thread title should be changed to "If this Vid doesn't change how you drive - don't drive any more"

I can say I shed a tear or two in that 7 minutes
- & I went and kissed my wife and kids in bed after it....

XOXOXOXO

Too many ways to fraud the 'logging' the hour system for a licence, and the test itself doesn't really cover anything to do with car control and what to do in an emergency - per se....
Esp. when compared to what you get from doing an driver training lesson, course or directed skid pan session. Learn to appreciate what 1800kg of Gross car weight and interia feels like to move around and change direction in an emergency - even 40 or 50km/h.

imo - Be like Finland. 8)
All drivers there are required to attend many hours of full 'driver training' style lessons, as a madatory step to get a licence... Should be done here too.

Take it easy on the roads people....

I could do a huge rant here on what I see drivers doing (or not doing) on the road and in traffic.
In no order... Tailgating. Indicators. Not driving for the conditions. Stop signs. Mobile phones. Not keeping Left. Not giving way. Lane Splitters and verge runners (for the bike riders among us). Incorrect restraining of children.
Many more, I am sure....

** Passengers with their feet up on a dashboard that has an airbag
- Do they not know what it does in an accident - Even a side impact one...?
Couldn't be good having your feet fired back behind your ears....
- CCJ Premium Member #0015.
Tarq's Paintshop

Itachi
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby Itachi » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:28 am

I can't handle that sh!t...I only watched like 2 mins of it and tbh none of those accidents (the ones I saw) were caused by speed, all of them were caused by stupid drivers not paying attention to the road or being overly aggressive in traffic. The worst of the bunch are the ones on their mobile phone which is f^&*^$%&* pure stupidity as most of the cars I see this in are mercs and BMW's etc which have hands free built in but they still choose to hold the phone to their ear....

I totally agree with Laura, Perth drivers suck. I have often commented that if all drivers had to be tested every 5 yrs there would only about 100 cars on the roads as the rest would fail.

Just a little tip for new drivers: Never trust another car and watch for slowing to indicate turning (not the indicator) and look at the other drivers face on round abouts so you can see where their focus is and the likely action they will take. i.e. Tonight I was waiting at a give way sign with my brother and a car was coming up with their indicator on meaning that technically my path was clear. I waited until I was sure the car was slowing before proceeding. My bro was like "you know they had their indicator on?" and I told him straight up that the best thing he can do is never trust another driver (too many times in the early days I started going in that situation only for the car not to actually turn and I almost get cleaned up). His response was "I'd hate to be behind you in traffic". That really pissed me off so I kindly pointed out that I really don't care what some idiot behind me thinks I'd rather wait than die.

In fact my friends call it "doing a dave" when a 'normal' driver would have gunned a gap and I wait for a clear opening. I totally agree that defensive and advanced driver training is far more important than extended hours for learners, and everyone really. In fact if anyone else in Perth is interested maybe we can get a discount by getting some advanced training as a group??

Sorry for the rant but I am so sick of my life (and those of decent drivers) being put in danger by other peoples stupidity and recklessness.
Like my car? Follow my fitness blog!

http://www.littleguylifting.com/

DORA_ANNE
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby DORA_ANNE » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:33 am

bryzabone wrote:honestly guys, i cant stress enough, do the driver training courses. Even if your a good driver.
I was used to older cars, and it wasn't till i crunched my nose in on my CJ, (into the back of another CJ hatch BTW ;) )i realised(after the course) i didn't actually learn how to brake properly. This sounds ludicrous, but trust me.
Reactive driving, not predictive will get you out of trouble.
The best way to impress mates, is to have avoided an accident!

I Have to agree with Bryan Here with doing a Driver training Course ....

I Too Thought I could handle a car in such any emergency .. This day my Husband wanted to go to the club for a few beers with his mates , I said I will drive you up and pick you up , I picked him up and on the way home I took a short cut though our local dirt road ( Spunkybob will know this road ) .

Well the road was a bit corrugated so I knew to take it easy so I was turning the corner at a low speed but I Lost control as the road was in bad shape ... It all happened so Quickly I Remember thinking OMG Which way do I Turn the wheel ( as I was heading towards a Big tree ) So to be honest I didn't know so I turned the wheel the way I thought "WRONG" Hence I hit the tree
:cry: Thank goodness it wasn't a person ... ( I was pretty annoyed as I was doing the right thing in picking my Husband up as he had been drinking ) .....

So Yes I would Think these Driver Training course would or could of got me out of trouble .

And also with David saying about waiting for a Vehicle who has Their indicator on , How true with that David as That happened to me , I was waiting to turn right (At a T Intersection ) and this car was approaching towards me who had their left Blinker on , So I thought Ok He is turning left so I preceded to do my turn But Then This Vehicle decided to keep coming straight
:roll: It was a pretty close call so I Now wait untill I Fully know the vehicle is going to Turn ... The Strange thing about this was The Other driver slang abuse at me .... Ummm .... :evil:
Angels Are Sometimes Disguised As Friends

spunkybob
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby spunkybob » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:24 pm

BTW... the cause in all the clips is not speed.... its driving like a tool.
>CLICK HERE to view My 08 Lancer in all its Glory!
"Its STILL happy go fun fun time!"

Return to “General Talk”