***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

*EXTENDED to 30 March* Merlin Tuning ~ SA ~ 8-10 April 2016

Local SA & NT State News, Meets, Cruises, Information & Talk.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

blinklight
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby blinklight » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:36 am

TrojanHorse wrote:[quote:f4f4d38704=danieljgibbs]At the end of the day Merlin knows whats best as hes seen the results in his tunes, Im sure you could use fuel other than what Merlin recommends but remember his choices are for best results based on experience.[/quote:f4f4d38704] Thats all well and good but if Im paying $450 for a tune, I want it tuned to the fuel I regularly use to get the best results from that, not some other fuel that once the tune is done Im a) going to have to go out of my way for and b) that will cost me a lot more than I can get for that 98 elsewhere, both of which arent going to happen.

If you choose to disregard advice from an experienced tuner then ultimately you will need to take responsibility for the results you get :(

David was advising and relaying his recent personal experience with a specific brand of fuel :(
Last edited by blinklight on Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Annie's Merlinised Red Devil

burfadel
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby burfadel » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:56 am

I think what he means is he has no issue with using Shell 98 for the tune, just whether he will get benefits even if running other types of fuel whether it be 98 from Caltex, United, Liberty etc, or even 95 fuel, or 94/95 E10 (again NOT 91 E10), or 91.
I might add a pic of my car once I style the exterior a bit :).

SAM-24A
Alumni
Alumni

Postby SAM-24A » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:09 am

I cant understand why this "SA Tuning" thread has now evolved into a 2.5page Fuel Discussion.

Merlin wrote:Can I ask that all cars booked for tuning be fueled with 98 octane fuel, from either BP or Shell.

Please avoid Caltex, as I have had three cars for tuning this year that were fuelled with Vortex98 that were definitely not 98 octane. Noticeable knock was evident and the ECU was interpolating into the LOW octane fuel and spark maps.

When the cars were re-presented with true 98 then there was no knock issues.

Annie aka blinklight wrote:David was advising and relaying his personal recent personal experience with a specific brand of fuel

Merlin (Dave) is only suggesting you South Aussie's use either BP or Shell because he knows these two brands are available in SA and returned "no knock" results when he conducted tunes during his last SA Tuning visit.

Merlin is "NOT" suggesting you can't use another brand fuel, He's simply quoting that a particular brand that was used in the last tune visit, caused erratic Hi/Lo Fuel Map interpolating because he suspects the fuel may not have been the true 98 Octane as advertised.
This may not even be a Brand issue, rather a particular Service Station fuel tank storage issue.

I'm sure that Merlin has no issue if you use another brand of fuel providing you can be sure it's true 98 Octane, otherwise the Tune results "WILL NOT" return as well as expected, thus degrading the results of the Tune your paying for, which "CANNOT" be blamed on Merlin.

Merlin only suggests you use 98 Octane so as to attain the Highest Performance Value for your Lancer.
You can still use lower Octane fuel after the Tune with good Performance & Economy results, albeit, a slightly lesser benefit in return.

The One main reason why most members request a Merlin Tune is for Performance.
So why would you present your Lancer with a lesser octane rating than that which is the highest available at the Fuel Service Station.

As I mentioned in an earlier post:
You should all fill up on E85 and not tell Merlin :lol:
Then, the only knocks detected will be the one's in his head trying to work out why all the SA Lancers perform so well. *confused*
Sam ..... *thumb*
Merlinised MIVEC - AspiRe 2.4L

burfadel
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby burfadel » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:03 am

The Model T Ford was designed to run on ethanol, the vision in 1908 was that biofuel was the future. The diesel engine was also originally designed to run on peanut oil. You can also get bio butanol which supposedly you can run on a 30 percent mix with normal fuel without issue. Also its energy density is similar to petrol so you don't use more fuel, at the same time it raises the octane and doesn't blend with water so readily.

Hopefully I get through the current tank and run 98 in time for the tune. I still haven't used the foaming cleaner, I'll do that soon though. I've already bought it so I'm half committed now :D. Hopefully my spark plug remover fits, it fitted the Magna but it didn't fit another vehicle... Anyways tune will be good!

blinklight
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby blinklight » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:03 pm

Thanks Erin, I had already added your exhaust to your list of mods.

Finer details are still to be sorted. Dave is away till the end of the month, so this will be done upon his return.

Where possible, we will accommodate specific requests.
Annie's Merlinised Red Devil

undeadmyth
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby undeadmyth » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:42 pm

i honestly have half the mind to drive all the way over from WA just to get this done... haha

Hey Merlin, any chance of a WA trip in the near future? :D

burfadel
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby burfadel » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:46 pm

If you did drive over, the long drive would probably be good for the car if it has had a life of short trips. Of course, we realise you were just 'PhiLancering'. Hey, Mitsubishi's moto is after all, 'Love that car'!.

ChrisRalliart09
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby ChrisRalliart09 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:29 pm

Just gotta ask, is there gonna be a dyno sheet etc with the tune?
BC Racing Coilovers, 3in Turbo back Exhaust, Merlin Tune.

Once you go black, your endlessly cleaning that.

ChrisRalliart09
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby ChrisRalliart09 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:40 pm

Don't suppose also Merlin would be able to sort out a boost pill before I forget about it or too late ......
BC Racing Coilovers, 3in Turbo back Exhaust, Merlin Tune.

Once you go black, your endlessly cleaning that.

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:50 am

Hi Chris, I know Merlin put a boost pill in Annie's Ralliart.

Hopefully he will be in contact with you soon, once he arrives back from his holiday.

tstorm1986
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby tstorm1986 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:21 pm

I know its getting organised at a later date but I would need to squeeze in at the end of the weekend as i work friday and saturday. Any time sunday preferably.

Im looking forward to this, the RA intake and MR cat back have made a big difference already so i can wait to see what more can be brought out of it.

Return to “South Australia & Northern Territory”