***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Merlin Tuning - Adelaide Dec 12-13

Local SA & NT State News, Meets, Cruises, Information & Talk.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

SAM-24A
Alumni
Alumni

Postby SAM-24A » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:57 am

It sounds like you're ECU in the engine bat has gone into Limp Mode.

Try disconnecting the Battery for 5 - 10mins, then reconnect again.
It might just reset your ECU and work. It's worth a go and wont disable anything.

Alternatively, ring Merlin (0419 140 226) for advice. it might be easier than you think.
Sam ..... *thumb*
Merlinised MIVEC - AspiRe 2.4L

burfadel
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby burfadel » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:03 pm

I tried disconnecting the battery last night, no luck there. I don't have Merlin's number unfortunately.
I might add a pic of my car once I style the exterior a bit :).

himynameisdaniel
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby himynameisdaniel » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:04 pm

when troubleshooting a no start condition you have to look at the following.

Spark.
Fuel.

If you can successfully obtain reliable spark and fuel being delivered into the cylinders then you have a compression issue which in most cases can be game over.

Did you receive any overheat message on the dash?
did you receive any CVT error display (ie slow down or warning)
where there any other symptoms that you can describe ? visible damage to components ? smoke? smell?

i don't know if its actually possible to stall the CVT equipped lancers providing you don't cut off fuel, loose all oil pressure or hydro lock your cylinders.

As Sam said it is possible that the unit went into limp mode. but in all honesty if your car is well maintained (from a servicing point of view) you would really have to be flogging the thing pretty damn hard.

burfadel
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby burfadel » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:16 pm

Not at all, going about 40 down the hill with it in second (on CVT) to stop it running away and having to ride the brakes. It just conked out at the bottom and hasn't worked properly since. I'm lucky I could drive over to the windy point lookout, if it happened driving down from Windy Point could been problematic as there would be nowhere to pull off of the road. The car has had a full service history so good there.

blinklight
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby blinklight » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:37 pm

Massive thanks to Merlin for making the trip over to SA and doing such a great job on our cars 😊
My car is far more responsive, gear changes are so much smoother and fuel economy was akin to that of a NA Lancer, 😊
Was great to meet Harley, Brittany and their gorgeous little Bub, plus Ben 😊

Was fantastict to catch up with Troy and Daniel. Thanks to Mark for coming to pay us a visit
Annie's Merlinised Red Devil

Haza92
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Haza92 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:35 am

Had a great day out. Pleasure to meet you all and a big thanks to merlin For coming down. The tune absolutely blew my mind. See you all on the next cruise :)

merlin
Alumni
Alumni

Postby merlin » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:11 am

Not too late to get a Lancer tune this Sunday morning.

Oooops, now its too late.

burfadel
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby burfadel » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:46 pm

Found out from Ultra Tune this afternoon they couldn't find the issue. They didn't charge me either, so I guess that's a bonus. I'm not sure whether it's because they couldn't find the issue or because they didn't spend much time on it.

I got it towed to Mitsubishi on Goodwood Rd near the showgrounds. Troy rang up asking how the car went just as I got to Mitsubishi, which was good of him. Unfortunately I didn't realise who it was for a start, I thought it was the RAA tow truck driver I had Friday night!

Anyways, they said they were very busy with the lead up to Christmas but they should be able to look at it tomorrow. I hope it's nothing too serious and can be fixed under warranty.

I had to pay for the tow truck from Ultra Tune Melrose Park to Mitsubishi in Wayville. I rang three towing companies. The first I price queried was Dial a Tow. They wanted $179, that was far too much! The other annoying thing with them is through the website you have to put your number in to get a quote, instead of the quote just coming up on the screen. So they sent the text with the ridiculous quote. About 20 minutes later they sent another text with a 10 percent discount, and then they tried calling me as well. What makes it worse is that Goodwood is actually closer to Melrose Park than Wayville... it's so close it wouldn't have made a difference to any other company, but that dial-a-tow seems excessively expensive. When I told the tow driver that I ended up using his draw dropped, I had to show him the text.

The second towing company I called wanted $110, and the last company I called wanted $80. I obviously went with the last one! Great service though, he picked me up from home, which saved him time anyway since I would have had to catch the bus there. Got the tow to Goodwood, drove me back home, then I found out it was a cash business and didn't have a card reader in the truck (that costs a lot of money apparently), so he drove me to Castle Plaza to draw out the money and drove me back home again. Very happy with the tow service. The was Central State Towing http://centralstatetowing.net.au/

He also knew the Mitsubishi dealership so the suburb mistake wasn't an issue. Mind you the extra distance home and to Castle Plaza etc wasn't far, but being peak hour it was time consuming for him. Also because it was the end of the day he probably didn't have any other things booked for the evening, but still I am appreciative that he went the extra distance. He could have left me at Castle Plaza etc!

So, hopefully I find out tomorrow. My main concern is not being able to have the car next week as I need to travel.

Haza92
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Haza92 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:14 pm

I find this hard to believe √

burfadel
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby burfadel » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:53 pm

Haza92 wrote:I find this hard to believe √

So do I, it's not a nice feeling.

SIX
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby SIX » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:55 pm

OMG merlin u work some magic annies car was amazing so smooth .... pleasure to meet you too... and to steve who gave me a few pointers on my car greatly appreciate it
1998 MR lancer
2009 CJ lancer sportback
2011 Renault Sport RS250 Trophee Cup
2000 Tommi Makenin Evolution 6.5

merlin
Alumni
Alumni

Postby merlin » Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:58 pm

Nice 6, Mr SIX.

Do keep an eye on those top intercooler pipes as they will be getting a bit of a workout.

SIX
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby SIX » Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:59 pm

merlin wrote:Nice 6, Mr SIX. Do keep an eye on those top intercooler pipes as they will be getting a bit of a workout.
i spoke with jon today the previous owner and my mechanic and he is going to keep a close eye on things :) thank you :)
1998 MR lancer

2009 CJ lancer sportback

2011 Renault Sport RS250 Trophee Cup

2000 Tommi Makenin Evolution 6.5

burfadel
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby burfadel » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:29 pm

Quick update on the car. Mitsubishi just rang me, they're looking at it now. Apparently they reckon it may be at least a couple of days (hope it's ready before mid next week :S). They're apparently working through a long list of fault codes.

The fault codes are only showing up at Mitsubishi, neither the RAA or Ultra Tune could read the fault codes. The annoying thing about that and I guess the same applies to anyone, is that getting your car serviced anywhere else may not pick up any stored codes. Is it possible that there are standard codes that can be read by a normal OBD II scanner, and special codes only read by the Mitsubishi devices? How many codes can there be? Who knows.

Why is this so bad?
The real unfortunate thing about this is that I haven't had the car long, it was second hand. For all I know, these codes could have been happening before I even bought it, but as far as the car dealership is concerned etc the car was perfectly fine. If that is the case, I still can't blame them if they couldn't read to codes to know that something is wrong.

The same applies to anyone else on here. Who knows if you have any fault codes that could have been occurring for a long time if nobody but Mitsubishi can read them?

himynameisdaniel
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby himynameisdaniel » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:40 pm

yes there are manufacturer specific codes. there is no secret about them

generally they are specific powertrain related codes but are not limited to.
Also not all OBD 2 readers can read data from all the ECU's in your vehicle.

unfortunately workshops can easily spend thousands of dollars on readers.
and unless they have a support agreement from a decent tool manufacturer which costs $$$$ in yearly subscription fees, then they will easily pass you onto a dealer.

People should really be considering the workshops diagnostic equipment when they send their car off for troubleshooting.
Consider your self lucky that you didn't get a bill for initial investigation.

stored codes are codes that were activated however the value of the specific code has most likely changed back to an acceptable value or a parameter has been exceeded and are now logging.
That being said not every PID codes will trip a CEL for your car.
Some are just counters, others have thresholds that need to be exceeded.

Either way you should be asking Mitsubishi for a list of all the codes they found. i am unsure if they have date stamps of when they occurred.
K+N drop in
RA intake
SS 4-2-1 Headers
Whiteline Strut Brace
Whiteline Rear Sway Bar
SuperPro Polyurethane Bushings
Paddle Shifters

Merlinised

Return to “South Australia & Northern Territory”