***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Gorge Rd fatal smash involving CJ lancer

Local SA & NT State News, Meets, Cruises, Information & Talk.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Alixxandar
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Alixxandar » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:29 pm

Judging by the dual sun roofs, full panel side window, and the little window on the roof at the back, I'd say '94 Hiace.

Alixxandar
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Alixxandar » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:30 pm

That one is custom, but I thought I'd use it to demonstrate. Everything else I could find quickly were commercial ones with no side windows.

Edit: The image won't work, as it was taken from another forum. Copypasta the link and you can see it though

RyanMK
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby RyanMK » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:15 pm

I've seen that White Evo a few times. It's always packed in one of those side alleys in Chinatown. Own by a male in his early 20s. He and his bunch of friends all own quite heavilly modified cars. I always seem to bump into the bunch of them at the DIY car wash place near me at night.
VG/Ultra Racing/Whiteline/Work/Ralliart/Supercircuit/Cosworth/Pioneer/BC/Recaro

himynameisdaniel
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby himynameisdaniel » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:25 pm

Hmm. its just certain vehicles are not very well equipped safety wise.
with a van like that, where the occupants sit within inches of the front of the car.
You cannot deny that driving such an old vehicle and the style there is an inherent risk in any collision above 60 km/h.
I was offered a similar van at one point in my career to make long trips across regional SA for work.
I denied it and rather work agreed on a cent per KM value for my then current daily drive a 96' Ford Taurus.
Which totally was not profitable for me. But my safety and current employment status was paramount.
It seemed more plausible at the time that i might have better odds of surviving head on collision with both vehicles driving 110 km/h. Perhaps not with a truck.
The van didn't even have ABS!!!
My contract was up and I decided to move on.

Alixxandar
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Alixxandar » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:28 pm

I drive a new hiace for work occasionally, it has ABS, and a Roo bar but coming close to cars isn't the best experience ever.

Much prefer the Triton :)

Momengah
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Momengah » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:21 am

I think that's a 90's model of a Toyota Tarago. My uncle used to own one that looks similar to that.

News like this is quite sad. Makes you wonder at the stupidity of some people. I mean really, if there is potential for harm to other people then this type of behaviour should not be happening at all. as was said, there are proper channels to exhibit driving enthusiasm.
-Beeble spec custom tune (182kw 383nm)
-Cosworth Air Filter
-Evo X BOV
-Evo X Intercooler
-Grimmspeed 3 port
-Ultimate Racing UPICP & LICP
-HFC & Ultimate Racing catback

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:59 am

I think this is a very sad accident that could have been avoided.

This is why I strongly only cruise on club cruises and no racing.

I would not be organising any cruises around the hills soon as I suspect police to be monitoring car forum's and defecting cars that attend cruises.

himynameisdaniel
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby himynameisdaniel » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:45 am

Also worth mentioning that it is part of the Club rules for cruises that everyone obey the speed limit and applicable laws.
In our SA sub forum we can organize private track days (ie not on public roads) as part of a meet. Or maybe even do a defensive driving course perhaps.

Quixand
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Quixand » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:05 pm

Thumbs up for all you guys!! Makes me proud to be in the club.

squala
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby squala » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:42 pm

Seeing the topic, I thought the death-free streak of the Lancer was already broken. While I'm happy that the Evo has once again showed its 5-star safety, I have to say that the driver needs to pay for what he did. This is manslaughter. He should be jailed for a considerable amount of time.
///// /////
7 airbags
6-speed SST
5-star safety
4-wheel drive
3-diamond badge
2 overhead cams
1 awesome ride
0 demerit points and gutter rash

Alixxandar
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Alixxandar » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:37 pm

squala wrote:Seeing the topic, I thought the death-free streak of the Lancer was already broken. While Im happy that the Evo has once again showed its 5-star safety, I have to say that the driver needs to pay for what he did. This is manslaughter. He should be jailed for a considerable amount of time.

We need a +1 feature. :D

Seffy
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Seffy » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:18 pm

TrojanHorse wrote:Amen! (Nice to see a teenager with a mature outlook seffy! Very rare!) ;)

Thank you, that's really kind of you to say that. :)

aspir3 wrote:I think this is a very sad accident that could have been avoided. This is why I strongly only cruise on club cruises and no racing. I would not be organising any cruises around the hills soon as I suspect police to be monitoring car forums and defecting cars that attend cruises.

I definitely agree with this. A cruise is a cruise; meaning we just drive as a group of friends from A to B and have fun whilst obeying to the road rules. And yes, the cops will be all over the hills from now on for a period of time.

TrojanHorse wrote:I agree Troy, might be best to do country/coastal runs for a while. Im glad to see everyones attitude seems to be the same, heres hoping that translates into sensible cruises (having not been on one just yet!) If so, I am looking forward to it! Ive been on cruises in other car clubs (inc having organised one myself when I had my little Eunos 30x) and Ive found a lot of the time ppl go too fast altogther and it makes it hard for not so confident drivers (like myself) to keep up and risk injuring themselves by making silly mistakes trying to do so. One of the guys on the cruise I organised a few years back ended up dangling halfway over the side of Mt Lofty, was very lucky he didnt go right over! Dont see why we cant enjoy a drive and one anothers company without certain people or the whole entourage needing to go at the speed of light! It is meant to be a cruise not a time trial ;)

This is so true. I don't understand what goes through their mind really, people can have fun without having to muck around recklessly and causing unnecessary risk. :/

Coastal or country run would be a great idea! I've never driven towards a coastal or country town before and would personally be a great experience. :)
Crayon Pop "straight-five engine" dance ftw.

Return to “South Australia & Northern Territory”