***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Grantham volunteers

Local QLD State News, Meets, Cruises, Information & Talk.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

casper28
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Grantham volunteers

Postby casper28 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:11 pm

Hi all,
As you know, Grantham was nearly wiped off the map during the January floods, and there is still approx. 250 homes out there that still require some work done.
I am heading out there this Sunday (2nd Oct) to give a helping hand, and if you are interested as well, the details are below. I am sure that as many hands as possible would be greatly appreciated.

Meeting Point – in front of the white shop in William Street, Grantham at 9am. (6 hours - from 9am to 3pm - still home in time to watch the NRL grand final!)

Current Volunteering ongoing projects:
Community Resilience site 1 – Helping to put a shop back together ie putting up gyprock, picture rail, skirting board, scraping, painting .
Community Resilience site 2 - Helping to disassemble a house being donated in Grantham to another resident who is moving to the hill.
Community Recovery site 1 - Helping to paint the inside of a house that has been rebuilt inside.
Goodwill site 1 – Undercoating, scraping or sanding outside of a house for an elderly person .

If you own any of this equipment and can bring it, it will aid with volunteering on Sundays - extension leads, house hoses with connections, dustpan and brushes, brooms, saw horses, gyprock cutting saws, circular saws, claw hammers, hammer hitting chisels, paint scrapers, paint brushes, paint rollers, icecream containers for holding paint, ladders.

What to wear/bring for yourself – old clothes for working outdoors / painting , hat, sunscreen, workboots, gardening gloves, washing up gloves, old jeans, food and water.

How to get there:
Drive up the Warrego Highway towards Toowoomba
Turn off just past the UQ Gatton Campus, go through Gatton, turn left and follow the Gatton-Helidon Road 5km to Grantham.
In Grantham, William Street is the street that is part of the main intersection in Grantham and runs parallel to the creek. Opposite William St is Harris S (which has a green shop on the corner).
Where you park your car in William Street is in front of the shop in William Street.

Go through Gatton, turn left through Gatton onto Gatton-Helidon Road, in 5km is Grantham, turn right into William St.

From Ipswich CBD to Grantham is just over 45mins drive down the Warrego Highway.
Brisbane CBD to Grantham is about 1.5hours.

Mitsi
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Mitsi » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:37 pm

I'd love to help but wouldn't have the petrol money or a babysitter.. :( :(
2010 Lancer Ralliart <3

casper28
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby casper28 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:03 pm

I should have added that this will be an ongoing project, until at least early next year so there will be many opportunities.
I am hoping to get out there at least once a month - Uni/work/Air Force Reserves permitting.... :)

Mitsi
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Mitsi » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:30 pm

Sounds like an awesome cruise idea and I'll bet it's a nice drive too
2010 Lancer Ralliart <3

Return to “Queensland”