***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Places you go to test your car and yourself

Local Victorian State News, Meets, Cruises, Information & Talk.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

tjoz
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby tjoz » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:07 pm

Had a look at map on some possible new places to take the car and have found a 220+km of twisty road (just one road!!) through mountains and forest areas :)

Knowing my luck it will end up being mostly dirt road.... Heading out tomorrow and will bring back what I find

Graham
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Graham » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:57 pm

check out google maps satellite view, you'd be surprised how much detail you can see on those mountain roads
Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.
ImageImage
Daily Driver: Yamaha R1
Weekend Warrior: BMW Z4 Roadster

tjoz
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby tjoz » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:34 pm

More places added. Dont like Google Maps. Its like iPod to me. Took me about 5years before I decided to get one :lol:

Neerim South- Mt Baw Baw (Princes Fwy-Main Neerim Rd-Mt Baw Baw Tourist Rd-Mt Baw Baw Summit)

Once you take the Drouin/Mt Baw Baw turn off from Princes Fwy it can get confusing as the sign to Mt Baw Baw points in the wrong direction and will take you to a dead end (this road is called Princes Way). Instead of turning left and heading towards Langwarry North (to the dead end) you turn right into Princes Hwy and head towards Jindivick/Neerim South. You can take either Labourtouche Rd, Fisher Rd, Old Main Jindivick Rd or Main Neerim Rd to head into Neerim South. Plus there will be signs saying which way to Mt Baw Baw too. Once your in Neerim South get on Main Neerim Rd as this will go straight onto Mt Baw Baw Tourist Rd. Once out of Neerim, you pass through the little towns till you get to the tourist road. As you head out you will start to wind up between the valley and the surrounding mountains. This stretch is pretty easy. Next part is just for the tourist road.

Mt Baw Baw Tourist Rd is the intermediate section of this run. All 100k limit but has a mix of sweeping turns and sharper turns. Plenty of blind corners and the road gets narrow in many sections so you need to take notice of your surroundings. Plenty of places to turn off for sightseeing (such as Neerim Trestle Bridge and the Toorongo Waterfalls). Most of the road is gentle inclines with build up to more steeper the further in you go. Once you get to the intersection where you either go Mt Baw Baw or head to Moe, it changes to advanced. Next part is just for the summit road.

Mt Baw Baw Tourist Rd-Summit. Highly advanced; you will cook your brakes. This road has everything, it has a high limit (100k throughout) but you will rarely reach it . This whole section you must look ahead!! Very important or you will either smash into an oncoming car or get wrapped around a tree/over the cliff. This road is very narrow and only wide enough for one car. You will need to head to the sides to let other cars pass as they will be doing the same. You have double hair pins, triple S bends and very steep elevation. Most of the run you will spend in 2nd and 3rd as Lancer dont have enough power to be in 4th and 5th in this section. You will barely ever hit the speed limit in this section it is all tight blind turns. Be careful of branches on the roads and when your at the summit let your car rest for a while as you will cook your brakes (mine were giving off smoke when I had the car stopped...). On your way back down take it out of gear and brake earlier, it is very fast as you head back down the mountain.

Mt Baw Baw- Moe (Mt Baw Baw Tourist Rd and Willow Grove Rd)

Advanced (Mt Baw Baw to Willow Grove leg) and Beginner (Willow Grove to Moe leg). Will split this one into two sections; Mt Baw Baw-Willow Grove leg and the Willow Grove-Moe leg. Will start with the later.

Once your out of Willow Grove and heading out to Moe, its 100k throughout with small drops to 80 when passing through some of the towns (strangely not all for some reason...). This run is pretty easy for anyone, nice wide roads with generous lane width and long sweeping turns nothing too sharp. Most of the turns range from 50-70 in their advisory limits. Run has very few inclines and in good condition (few rips and pot holes here and there).

With the first part of the leg, its still for advanced drivers but offers something different to Mt Baw Baw itself; Its like a faster version of it. Once your out of Mt Baw Baw you take the road to Moe (Willow Grove Road) instead of heading back to Neerim South. From this point forward, its all fast. You have a 100k limit and in many places you will reach it. The first half of this stretch is full of S turns but the road is wide enough to fit dual single lanes. You wont have to move to the sides to let each other pass. The elevation in the first half is far less than on the Mt Baw Baw Tourist Rd but unlike that, you are travelling alot faster. Plenty of times your lunch/breakfast will come up and you might get a bit dizzy as its more involved and fast paced. The corner advisory speeds range from 50-80. This is a very fast run with lots of turns and plenty of S turns.

bobcrusader
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby bobcrusader » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:17 pm

I'm hitting the Driver Dynamics course at Sandown tomorrow (Grand Prix is on - I might be the only petrol head there!). I'll let everyone know how it goes.
- 2009 Lancer Ralliart
- Boostpill + Tune
- Upgraded intercooler + pipes
- Turbo XS Catback
- Drift BoV
- Blitz Air Filter

WTR
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby WTR » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:52 pm

Sounds like a better idea than risking public roads, Rob.

bobcrusader
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby bobcrusader » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:52 pm

So the day at Sandown went well. I discovered that the standard Ralliart brakes should be replaced at 45,000kms before attempting a track day. Other than that, hit 200kmh on the straights and the only lap I timed was 1.40 with the brakes almost shot. Engine and SST held up nicely after 200kms and 1.5 tanks of fuel - impressive. Tadz came along for the passenger session and should have some sweet video of a R34 GT-R blowing flames as I hauled him in. Thanks also to Nick (PMR) for coming out and watching.

Next trip Philip Island www.driveevents.com.au - if anyone want to join, let me know and we can arrange a date.
- 2009 Lancer Ralliart

- Boostpill + Tune

- Turbo XS Catback

- Drift BoV

- Blitz Air Filter

bobcrusader
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby bobcrusader » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:02 pm

I've got my Phillip Island track day tomorrow. Some new Bridgestone RE050 225/40R19 on, should step up the handling a bit from the Khumos. They 'just' fit.
- 2009 Lancer Ralliart

- Boostpill + Tune

- Turbo XS Catback

- Drift BoV

- Blitz Air Filter

Return to “Victoria”