***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

NO LONGER WANTED: Borrow stock muffler for '09 VRX

Local Victorian State News, Meets, Cruises, Information & Talk.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Viking
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

NO LONGER WANTED: Borrow stock muffler for '09 VRX

Postby Viking » Sun Jul 16, 2023 12:11 pm

Hey all,
I decided it was going to be too much messing around trying to borrow a muffler, get it fitted and then removed after the EPA test, so went down to the local muffler shop today.

Talked to the guy for a while, and it's going to cost me $250 for something that is quieter (and hopefully keeps the same sound as the Greddy).

Cheers,
V

I said:

Hi all,

First post in a very long time, just been dropping in randomly to see how things are going.

As the subject says, I need to borrow a stock muffler (from the axle back) because I got an EPA noise notice. Seems some copper wasn't impressed with the tone and decided it was 'too loud'.

Can anyone in Melbourne's outer-east help, please?

Many thanks,
V

Avenir
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Re: NO LONGER WANTED: Borrow stock muffler for '09 VRX

Postby Avenir » Mon Jul 24, 2023 12:11 pm

I cant believe you got a noise complaint for EPA. Very unlucky, I know my brother a few months back had a modified 6L V8 VE commodore that use to shake the windows in the house when he started it in the mornings... got nothing. Even a lancer with a pop tune in my street sounds like a spastic lawnmower at low revs and is still getting around ahaha.

Good luck with the exhaust shop tho,
Avenir
2015 NISSAN 370Z SPORT TOURING AUTO
GKTech Dual CAI
Invidia Gemini CBE

2008 LANCER VRX MANUAL
K&N Typhoon Intake + RA Snorkel
4-2-1 OBX Wrapped Extractors
2.5 MF Header Back + MF 200 Cell
TS Short Shifter
XYZ SS Coilovers + SuperPro Perf Control Arms
SuperPro Poly Bushings
Whiteline F&R Sway Bars + Link Arms

Viking
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Viking » Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:43 pm

Yeah, some cop sitting in their car with nothing better to do. The EPA letter says "deemed to vehicle to be excessively loud". Meaning it's an opinion, rather than a "pull him over and listen to it before making a decision". I'd say they weren't hitting their quota for the month and needed a few victims.

There are loads of super-loud cars and bikes where I live, so I guess I just got unlucky.

The muffler came out at $270 all up, apparently it needed an extra flange fitting or something. The sound is good, a deep rumble (just like the Greddy) but a lot quieter. Which is bad, because I can now hear all the squeaks in the suspension. :-(

Cheers,
V

Viking
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Viking » Sat Aug 12, 2023 3:53 pm

Quick update - had the EPA noise test last week. Maximum allowed noise for a Lancer is 90dB.

Loudest exhaust sound during the test was 86dB (on the over-run as the RPMs came down from 4500), 84dB everywhere else in the rev-range.

Standing around as they ran the test, there was more noise coming from the engine bay than from the exhaust....

Cheers,
V.

Return to “Victoria”