***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

VRX being wrecked at Jollys' U Pull it Dandenong 25/8/17

Local Victorian State News, Meets, Cruises, Information & Talk.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Mooman
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

VRX being wrecked at Jollys' U Pull it Dandenong 25/8/17

Postby Mooman » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:34 am

A heads up to anyone in Victoria who wants some VRX upgrades.

Jollys' U Pull it in Dandenong has a 2010 VRX, a rare opportunity to get some upgraded parts.

http://www.jollysupullit.com.au/eziparts/Display_Vehicle.asp?PriceListID=0&VehicleID=530672&Location=jollysupullitcomau&VehicleDesc=Mitsubishi%20Lancer%20CX/CY

Points of interest (Still available at time of writing):

Rockford Fosgate speakers (Sub woofer gone), a straight swap from the standard paper cone speakers. Also don't forget the tweeters in the front doors as they are plug and play on all CJ Lancers. Stereo was removed by Jollys' and can be purchased in store.

Larger brakes front and rear. Front brakes are a simple fit, uses same caliper just with a different mounting to allow for larger disk. Rear are trickier to fit as dust shield becomes an issue and requires disconnecting of brake line to swap caliper.

Centre storage bin has an acessory socket. A simple swap as all wires are in car and should plug straight in, may need a fuse.

Sports suspension, thicker front and rear sway bars and stiffer damping. Front tower strut bar was still on car at time of writing but someone had removed 2 of the 3 bolts each tower so it may be gone soon.

Leather steering wheel with bluetooth. A nice upgrade, don't forget bluetooth module in front map light.

Fake carbon trim panels and console bin with lid. A nice cosmetic touch.

If anyone needs a hand with pulling apart this car I'm more than happy to tag along and help, it's a DIY wrecker.

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Re: VRX being wrecked at Jollys' U Pull it Dandenong 25/8/17

Postby bumblebee » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:26 pm

Centre storage bin sounds good
What kind of price so they have on it?

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:34 pm

Mooman wrote:A heads up to anyone in Victoria who wants some VRX upgrades.

Larger brakes front and rear. Front brakes are a simple fit, uses same caliper just with a different mounting to allow for larger disk. Rear are trickier to fit as dust shield becomes an issue and requires disconnecting of brake

They are not the same brakes as 2.0L NA models. They have bigger calipers with bigger piston then base models.

Mooman
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Mooman » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:29 am

bumblebee wrote:Centre storage bin sounds good
What kind of price so they have on it?

Not 100% sure as it depends on day what the person at register puts it in at but I suspect it would be console lid $16 going off pricelist. Only issue it's a DIY wrecker so you'd need someone in Vic to pull it out and ship, Normally I would volunteer but it's a bit of a trek to get to.

aspir3 wrote:They are not the same brakes as 2.0L NA models. They have bigger calipers with bigger piston then base models.

The calipers in 2.0 and VRX are the same one pot unit, the Ralliart has a different two pot caliper. The VRX just uses a different mounting bracket so that the larger 294mm disk as opposed to the 276mm standard will fit, and the larger disk will fit in 16 inch wheels. I have done this conversion although I used parts from an ASX (have DBA T2 VRX disks) they all come from the same Mitsubishi parts bin.

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:38 am

Thanks for the info Moonman i will keep my eyes peeled for something closer

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:47 pm

Moonman the breaks are different between the 2.ol and 2.4l. I know and am 100% certain.
I have measured piston between them.
Please don't give members false advice.

Mooman
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Mooman » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:16 am

aspir3 wrote:Moonman the breaks are different between the 2.ol and 2.4l. I know and am 100% certain.
I have measured piston between them.
Please don't give members false advice.

Just to be clear here I agree that the rear calipers are different, but the fronts are same between an ES and VRX.

Looking up mitsubishi parts there is only 1 listing for replacement pistons, part 4605A221 https://www.mitsubishipartswarehouse.com/oem-parts/mitsubishi-caliper-piston-4605a221/?c=Zz1icmFrZXMmcz1mcm9udC1icmFrZXMmYT1taXRzdWJpc2hpJm89bGFuY2VyJnk9MjAxMiZ0PWVzJmU9Mi0wbC1sNC1nYXM%3D
Also looking at Supercheap auto shows same part numbers when switching between 2.0NA and 2.4, SP04436040 etc.

There are different parts for complete caliper assemblies, (right side) 4605A860 for 15 inch disc (rotor) and 4605A862 for 16 inch disc
https://www.mitsubishipartswarehouse.com/oem-parts/mitsubishi-caliper-assembly-4605a860/?c=Zz1icmFrZXMmcz1mcm9udC1icmFrZXMmaT02MjkyMTcwNSZyPWxheWVyXzcmYT1taXRzdWJpc2hpJm89bGFuY2VyJnk9MjAxMiZ0PWVzJmU9Mi0wbC1sNC1nYXM%3D
and
https://www.mitsubishipartswarehouse.com/oem-parts/mitsubishi-caliper-assembly-4605a862/?c=Zz1icmFrZXMmcz1mcm9udC1icmFrZXMmaT02MjUzMjc1NSZyPWxheWVyXzUmYT1taXRzdWJpc2hpJm89bGFuY2VyJnk9MjAxMiZ0PWVzJmU9Mi0wbC1sNC1nYXM%3D
The only difference between the full assemblies are the mounting brackets, as I've said previously.

Looking at the rotors:

276mm ES rotor.

294mm VRX rotor.

Not the best photos or a scientific process but it'll prove my point. The swept area of both rotors is the same, both approx 5cm which makes sense as both models use the same pads (Bendix size DB1441). The area from the hub to beginning of swept area is the only point of difference as the VRX calipers are mounted further out from the hub via a different mounting bracket.
Part 4605A223
https://www.mitsubishipartswarehouse.com/oem-parts/mitsubishi-caliper-support-4605a223/?c=Zz1icmFrZXMmcz1mcm9udC1icmFrZXMmaT02MjkyMTcwNSZyPWxheWVyXzgmYT1taXRzdWJpc2hpJm89bGFuY2VyJnk9MjAxMiZ0PWVzJmU9Mi0wbC1sNC1nYXM%3D
vs part 4605A210
https://www.mitsubishipartswarehouse.com/oem-parts/mitsubishi-caliper-support-4605a210/?c=Zz1icmFrZXMmcz1yZWFyLWJyYWtlcyZpPTYyOTI0NDI1JnI9bGF5ZXJfNyZhPW1pdHN1YmlzaGkmbz1sYW5jZXImeT0yMDEyJnQ9ZXMmZT0yLTBsLWw0LWdhcw%3D%3D

So even if assuming I was wrong and there is a difference in the brake piston size from 2.0na and 2.4 it still doesn't contradict the original advise that it is possible to fit the larger VRX rotors by using the same calipers and just swapping in the larger mounting bracket.

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:36 am

Just because it's on a web site doesn't make it right.
I have actually gone through this exercise with Mitsubishi Australia as their own web site is wrong.
Just trust me there are 3 versions of front and rear brakes for our cars. 2.0l NA, 2.4L NA and Ralliart all have different front and rear brakes. These include discs, calipers and pads.
They are all interchangeable though and bolt on but you must replace all the parts and not just some.

Mooman
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Mooman » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:46 pm

I agree it makes sense that there should be a larger piston in the front calipers to go with the larger rear calipers in order to maintain correct braking bias, but it still doesn't deny the fact it is possible to use the larger rotors easily with ES calipers (especially if rears are kept to maintain bias), effectively emulating a big brake kit sold from places such as RRM https://roadracemotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1334 but costing only a fraction of the price and allowing you to use whatever brand of rotors and pads you want.

Sure the only advantage besides looks is a small increase in mechanical advantage via the larger rotor, approx. 6% increased braking (using torque = force x distance) but with the disadvantage of increased unsprung weight.

Not to get into an ongoing argument all of this is really just a moot point, the purpose of posting this car originally was to gauge the interest in Victoria for anyone looking to get some easily done and cheap upgrades for their car. If a car like this had shown up 2 years ago when I started modding seriously I would have stripped so much out and been done in one go instead of over time and via pure luck.

But unfortunately it seems Victoria here is mostly gone and it's likely most of this car will end up in the crusher.

Quismiff
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Quismiff » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:24 pm

I was interested in the mmcs and surround but im not sure an A04 unit would work in the 08 VR-X despite the audio loom being the same part number.
2007 MY08 VR-X (cj-red)

I'm an eccentric smart-arse whose sarcasm has him perpetually in the s#@!.

Mooman
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Mooman » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:34 am

I know I should just leave this behind but to clear up any confusion anyone may have about the brakes here is some more evidence taken from the Mitsubishi service manual.

Please note that for both the 15 and 16 inch disc the brake is listed as a S57, meaning both have a 57.1mm diameter piston. Also note that despite the rear having a different caliper with different pads both versions use the same 34.9mm piston.

This is taken from a service manual for 2008 models so it is possible that somewhere along the line things may have changed, but as far as I can find there should be no problem in upsizing the discs.

But as with anything this is only advice, any decision to do any work, consideration of the means and outcomes have to be made by the owner.

Quismiff
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Quismiff » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:34 pm

Cruising gumtree and this came up in Dandy North. It's been up for 3 weeks so all the good stuff is possibly gone.

Mitsubishi Lancer RALLIART 2009 (wrecking)

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/dandenong-north/wrecking/mitsubishi-lancer-ralliart-2009/1156745452?
2007 MY08 VR-X (cj-red)

I'm an eccentric smart-arse whose sarcasm has him perpetually in the s#@!.

Return to “Victoria”