***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

*Heads Up!* New Speed Cameras in Melbourne

Local Victorian State News, Meets, Cruises, Information & Talk.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

JazzyB
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby JazzyB » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:04 pm

that sounds about right ofey - or if ur lucky enough they'll chase u and give it to u on the spot! :-P

And no, from what I understand, most un-marked mobile speed cameras (ie. not cops with radar guns) are privately run (or government perhaps, but seperate from 'police' - the person in the car is not an officer and only has the power to take photos and report you for speeding)

exaltd
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby exaltd » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:46 am

Why I beg to differ about that.... depends on how 'hot' the camera is...

It took my dad about 3 months to get a speeding fine on one of the speed cameras in Templestowe :)

I guess that was kind of a low traffic area then (in which they shouldn't have put it there anyway)

He was clocked at 63km/h in a 60km/h zone (incl. adjusted variable speed i believe).

-EXALTD-

Superfly
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby Superfly » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:58 pm

Having a little bit of inside knowledge on this subject I believe I can shed some light on the camera debate. No fixed or mobile cameras are run by police in Vic. This, like most government initiatives, is outsourced to the lowest tender meaning that the company that runs these cameras is responsible for manning them. Think of them as Yarra Trams inspectors. The vehicle is captured and the image sent to Civic Compliance for processing. They are the ones who send you the fine and alert the Sherrifs when you haven't paid it. The cops use radars and will pull you up and issue a fine on the spot.

As for the debate over so called safe speeding, I agree in many circumstances being slightly over the limit is not dangerous for that particular time, road condition, weather, etc. I also acknowledge that by far most collisions occur at a relatively low speed. These collisions rarely result in serious injury or worse.

However by far the most deaths and serious injuries occur in accidents which took place at high speed and the results are quite frankly shocking. As one who has witnessed the aftermath of a double fatality crash in an inner melb suburb, where the driver was travelling at no more than 15 kmh over the limit, the image of the scene still disturbs me.

If you are p####d that the government is just using cameras as an easy revenue stream then it's actually quite simple to thwart them. It's just a matter of adjusting your outset and changing your perspective. If you don't think speed killed in the above instance then consider that if he'd only been doing 60 when he decided to overtake on the left hand side he would have (and let me tell you this has been proven using fairly simple physics) he wouldn't have hit the parked taxi with enough force that he virtually swallowed the stearing wheel.

Too many people who are killed or seriously injured on our roads believed that they sped safely. There is no such thing. You may be the best skilled driver in the world but on the road, unlike the racetrack, you cannot predict with any real cirtainty what's behind that parked car or who will decide to change lanes without indicating or looking. The collision that occurs may well not be your fault but when you're told that if you were going just a wee bit slower you wouldn't need the halo drilled into you skull to keep it together or the excruciating pain of having to learn to walk again then you'll wish you had been going a tiny bit slower.

I don't mean to be a narc, but seriously save the right foot for track days. Would hate to hear of, or worse, see a fellow Club CJ member become a statistic.
Where are my keys?!

PYLee
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby PYLee » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:17 am

i just got a speeding ticket , at the intersection of Peel street and victoria street near victoria market :cry:

and it cost a bomb :(
Lancer Evolution 10MR

exaltd
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby exaltd » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:37 am

Ahhh fun :) Right outside my old work place :) Such a hot spot that place is... I see soooooo many people get booked there, and to top it off, the speed camera there is EXTREMELY sensitive to red light changes (and they change quickly) and speeding.

That's what you get for being in Melbourne city. :(

-EXALTD-

PYLee
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby PYLee » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:41 am

yeah , it was like 3am at night so when the camera flashes , i knew i'm done for :(
Lancer Evolution 10MR

exaltd
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby exaltd » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:46 am

Right people, please note:

360 degrees of the intersection of Doncaster and Tram Road (where Westfield Doncaster Shoppingtown is) is now covered with HIDDEN speed cameras. Do not go looking for them, they are all around in black boxes integrated in the taffic signals themselves. These can take your photo without flash, and take your car from every angle so you can't escape.

All notice you get from all four directions is a small sign saying "Road Safety Cameras in use" about 20-30m before the traffic lights.

Please also, the speed limits are quite vague, and depend on the direction you are travelling, so they could be 70km/h or 60km/h, so travel safe and slow at the latter (60km/h).

Sneakiest thing about it: they installed them all after midnight, so nobody would notice :).

Road safety - I think not :P

-EXALTD-

m1n1on
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby m1n1on » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:22 am

exaltd wrote:Right people, please note:

360 degrees of the intersection of Doncaster and Tram Road (where Westfield Doncaster Shoppingtown is) is now covered with HIDDEN speed cameras. Do not go looking for them, they are all around in black boxes integrated in the taffic signals themselves. These can take your photo without flash, and take your car from every angle so you can't escape.

All notice you get from all four directions is a small sign saying "Road Safety Cameras in use" about 20-30m before the traffic lights.

Please also, the speed limits are quite vague, and depend on the direction you are travelling, so they could be 70km/h or 60km/h, so travel safe and slow at the latter (60km/h).

Sneakiest thing about it: they installed them all after midnight, so nobody would notice :).

-EXALTD-

Thanks for the info, good to know.

Blakey
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Blakey » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:08 am

exaltd wrote:Why I beg to differ about that.... depends on how 'hot' the camera is...

It took my dad about 3 months to get a speeding fine on one of the speed cameras in Templestowe :)

I guess that was kind of a low traffic area then (in which they shouldn't have put it there anyway)

He was clocked at 63km/h in a 60km/h zone (incl. adjusted variable speed i believe).

-EXALTD-

how is that possible, to get booked at 3km/h over the limit? how is someone meant to be exactly on the speedlimit, the speedo's aren't that accurate.

and I'm pretty sure that the road rules for speeding its 10% over, and they can book you. or something like that.

exaltd
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby exaltd » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:47 pm

They can still book you, if the adjusted rate still doesn't add up - and it didn't. I reckon he may have been doing 68 or something.... he seems to have some nice lead-footed days sometimes :)

Blakey
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Blakey » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:48 pm

ah ok fair enough
IF YOUR NOT LIVING ON THE EDGE YOUR TAKING UP TOO MUCH ROOM

napkins1
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby napkins1 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:31 pm

As Jeremy Clarkson once said "Speed Cameras should be called piggy banks"

aznlancer08
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby aznlancer08 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:10 am

exaltd wrote:Right people, please note:

-EXALTD-

i drove past the intersection last night , coming from manningham road and turned right onto doncaster road towards north balwyn. i did notice on the central kerb a set of speed and red light cameras which i was surprised because there were none only weeks ago! then i looked around to see if the other side had any whch i coudnt see, so i thought only the direction i was travelling have speed & red light cameras.

as far as i know:

it's all 70km/h except for the 60km/h zone, direction is from box hill, with officeworks on your right as you come to the set of lights.
If you see a blue lancer in Melbourne and it looks like a VRX, that'll be me!

tuf-vrx
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby tuf-vrx » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:20 pm

i have no doubt someone will get a huge 4x4 and tear those poles down as for the curbed ones they are way more open to vandalism.

exaltd
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby exaltd » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:35 am

Yes, it's a tempting proposal for many largew 4X4's :)

Oh yes, I didn't mention this. They have put up visible ones now. I believe those hidden ones were a test, to see how many they could nab.

What I don't understand is why there are 2 cameras in the one location.

Also, heads up that Wetherby Road X Doncaster Road has a new speed camera, facing the freeway direction. Looks like the new generation multiuple camera ones too. I guess it's to supplement the existing one heading in Donvale direction.

-EXALTD-

Return to “Victoria”