***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

*Cancelled* Cruise via Great Ocean Road

Local Victorian State News, Meets, Cruises, Information & Talk.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Which day most suits you?

Poll ended at Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:26 pm

Saturday 3rd March
17%
Sunday 4th March
No votes
Sunday 25th March
83%

Total votes: 6

dubdocker
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby dubdocker » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:45 pm

China wrote:I agree with Irving (btw Im from west aswell), I have been wanting to go on a cruise and I have been following this thread, but the amount of driving for one day was putting me off . By the end of the day, the cruise home would not be that enjoyable, for me anyways.

The Princes Hwy is actually terrible, I would like to take longer and return via a different route, but I can imagine that would be way too long for a lot of you.

tjoz
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby tjoz » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:56 pm

Why dont you hold two meet locations? I always use to do it for MCA and it worked as it didnt alienate anyone. I usually would leave 1hour gap between each meet location so I could bring each group across depending on which end the state I was taking the guys.

As for distance, Ive had guys from as far as Cockatoo travel to Apollo Bay and back. If your afraid of driving distance then you will miss out on quite a lot.

On the Lancer, seriously do not know what your missing out on. Our cars are more than capable of handling these roads and in any form. What these drives do is give you more appreciation for your car and what it can do.

A lot of our driving roads are not going to be in the suburbs. If you want a good drive your not going to get it in a carpark.

Test your driving skills for the day. Also give people some options. Not everyone will want to play around in a carpark
MZG1 leader

ofey
Alumni
Alumni

Postby ofey » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:37 pm

I have a feeling that this is now getting abit personal.
So I'm going to quit while we can retain some form of respect for each other.

Happy cruising.
Beeble tooned MY08 OEd. w/ RA BKit+SWheel
Cosworth Panel Filter w/ RA Intake | SuperCircuit 4-2-1 Headers | Creat’d Ti-tipped SS exhaust
BC BR-type Coilovers | UR + Whiteline Bars
EBC GreenStuff Pads | RDA Rotors

avolance
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby avolance » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:43 pm

Hi Guys,

There seems to be quite some interest for this cruise ( myself included ) except for the distances involved. What about this for a suggestion...

Meet up/Start at Laverton ( Melbourne ) or wherever suits best.

Freeway down to Geelong and then onto Anglesea.

Great Ocean Road down to Lorne for Lunch/Meet/Photos/Shoot the breeze etc

Head North thru Deans Marsh, Bambra to Winchelsea. then Princes Hwy back to Geelong. Freeway back to Melbourne.

I feel this may be a good compromise as there will be freeway, coast road, state forest road (paved) so a variety of scenery and we will have a chance to hang out for a while without the pressure of covering a huge distance.

What do you think ?

dubdocker
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby dubdocker » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:44 pm

ofey wrote:I have a feeling that this is now getting abit personal. So Im going to quit while we can retain some form of respect for each other. Happy cruising.

Not at all, you are as welcome here as any other member is

ofey
Alumni
Alumni

Postby ofey » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:55 pm

I had no intention to "pour water" on your cruise plans with my post but it seems to have been read in that way.

I merely pointed out some considerations you might have to take into perspective.

And as I said, Happy Cruising... .
Beeble tooned MY08 OEd. w/ RA BKit+SWheel

Cosworth Panel Filter w/ RA Intake | SuperCircuit 4-2-1 Headers | Creat’d Ti-tipped SS exhaust

BC BR-type Coilovers | UR + Whiteline Bars

EBC GreenStuff Pads | RDA Rotors

dubdocker
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby dubdocker » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:05 pm

avolance wrote:Hi Guys, There seems to be quite some interest for this cruise ( myself included ) except for the distances involved. What about this for a suggestion... Meet up/Start at Laverton ( Melbourne ) or wherever suits best. Freeway down to Geelong and then onto Anglesea. Great Ocean Road down to Lorne for Lunch/Meet/Photos/Shoot the breeze etc Head North thru Deans Marsh, Bambra to Winchelsea. then Princes Hwy back to Geelong. Freeway back to Melbourne. I feel this may be a good compromise as there will be freeway, coast road, state forest road (paved) so a variety of scenery and we will have a chance to hang out for a while without the pressure of covering a huge distance. What do you think ?

From the opinion of somebody who lives in Geelong, that's just like going to the beach for the afternoon.

It's way too short for me, but if other people want to do that I've got it as option 4.

dubdocker
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby dubdocker » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:22 pm

tjoz wrote:Why dont you hold two meet locations? I always use to do it for MCA and it worked as it didnt alienate anyone. I usually would leave 1hour gap between each meet location so I could bring each group across depending on which end the state I was taking the guys.
As for distance, Ive had guys from as far as Cockatoo travel to Apollo Bay and back. If your afraid of driving distance then you will miss out on quite a lot.
On the Lancer, seriously do not know what your missing out on. Our cars are more than capable of handling these roads and in any form. What these drives do is give you more appreciation for your car and what it can do.
A lot of our driving roads are not going to be in the suburbs. If you want a good drive your not going to get it in a carpark.
Test your driving skills for the day. Also give people some options. Not everyone will want to play around in a carpark

I plan to have two meet points, one in Melbourne (Laverton Maccas is just an example) and one in Torquay or Anglesea.

Dog Rocks Road is an easy one to split the group between surfaced and non-surfaced, as it isn't that long and we can re-group at the intersection.

However, the Anglesea detour takes 45 minutes longer than going direct.
We could have those who want to do it leave the meet point earlier, then join the rest who could be waiting at Airey's Inlet at the other end.
Doing this will make the whole cruise at least an hour longer, but I think it's a reasonable compromise.
http://g.co/maps/j2sgg

I think I'm going crazy from spending too much time on Google Maps.

Momengah
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Momengah » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:15 pm

dubdocker wrote:Its fine if people cant make it due to distance, driving 2 hours just to get to the starting point is quite far. [quote:289c21b4f8=Momengah]I dont know about others but if im cooped up in my car for over 6 hours i just start to get a bit cranky and annoyed. I mean i love driving and I love my car but in 6 hours in the car is just a bit much. in that amount of time i could probably fly to malaysia or singapore.)[/quote:289c21b4f8] I am definately not suggesting that you should be in your car for 6 hours, theres not much point in doing something as a group if were just sitting in them. Enjoy your trip to the USA, I was there a couple of months ago. Where are you headed?

I might have exaggerated a bit about being cooped up and stuff :P but i'm just not sure about such a long drive on one day i guess. Would love to go around and explore the roads we have...

Anyway I'll be flying over to LA on the 1st. spend a few days there then drive up the coast to San Francisco. Will be hitting, Vegas, Denver (Colorado), Miami (drive through the keys), Washington DC, Philadelphia, NY, Toronto (to see Niagra falls as they all say its better on the Canadian side), San Diego then back to LA and home.
-Beeble spec custom tune (182kw 383nm)
-Cosworth Air Filter
-Evo X BOV
-Evo X Intercooler
-Grimmspeed 3 port
-Ultimate Racing UPICP & LICP
-HFC & Ultimate Racing catback

tjoz
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby tjoz » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:36 pm

dubdocker wrote:I plan to have two meet points, one in Melbourne (Laverton Maccas is just an example) and one in Torquay or Anglesea. Dog Rocks Road is an easy one to split the group between surfaced and non-surfaced, as it isnt that long and we can re-group at the intersection. However, the Anglesea detour takes 45 minutes longer than going direct. We could have those who want to do it leave the meet point earlier, then join the rest who could be waiting at Aireys Inlet at the other end. Doing this will make the whole cruise at least an hour longer, but I think its a reasonable compromise. http://g.co/maps/j2sgg I think Im going crazy from spending too much time on Google Maps.

I think the split at Skeenes Creek would be best to see if people want to go down either road. Not sure what CCJ members are like driving in these areas but the dirt road split can be very dangerous if you got careless/restless drivers.

That road is mostly single lane and there are no barriers either. Turns are tight and the drop is very big if someone decides to be a hero. The incline is steep too in some of the sections.

It may be too much for guys that have never been down that sort of road before. The surfaced road is more suitable for some guys. Its easier but it still got plenty of twisty bits and that steep hairpin about 5-10mins in. The NA's will struggle getting up that small bit
MZG1 leader

dubdocker
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby dubdocker » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:06 pm

Momengah wrote:Anyway Ill be flying over to LA on the 1st. spend a few days there then drive up the coast to San Francisco. Will be hitting, Vegas, Denver (Colorado), Miami (drive through the keys), Washington DC, Philadelphia, NY, Toronto (to see Niagra falls as they all say its better on the Canadian side), San Diego then back to LA and home.

Sounds like a big trip!

I have a feeling that nobody else actually wants to do the detour around Anglesea, so I'm going to scratch that and change the plan a bit.

http://g.co/maps/3w2mj
9-10am meet at Laverton McDonald's on the freeway
10.30-11.30am meet at the Waurn Ponds Bunnings
1pm lunch in Apollo Bay
We can then return via Beech Forest, maybe stopping again at Geelong to break up what would otherwise be an unremarkable 3 hour drive home.

This timing allows for Melbourne members to have dinner together somewhere, if you want to do that.

I hope this plan is good for most of you, I've had enough of playing around with it.

Now we've sorted what, we need to figure out when.
3rd, 4th or 25th March?

Longinus
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Longinus » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:37 pm

Just letting you know that Forum Battle is running from the 1st to 4th of March, so maybe 25th would be best. Set up a poll

dubdocker
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby dubdocker » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:05 pm

Longinus wrote:Just letting you know that Forum Battle is running from the 1st to 4th of March, so maybe 25th would be best. Set up a poll

Can't do anything with the poll until the current one expires in a few days...

The X
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby The X » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:02 pm

Poll :: What is your preferred route?

Option 1
0%
0% [ 0 ]
Option 2
33%
33% [ 2 ]
Option 3
66%