***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

*Cancelled* Cruise via Great Ocean Road

Local Victorian State News, Meets, Cruises, Information & Talk.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Which day most suits you?

Poll ended at Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:26 pm

Saturday 3rd March
17%
Sunday 4th March
No votes
Sunday 25th March
83%

Total votes: 6

dubdocker
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

*Cancelled* Cruise via Great Ocean Road

Postby dubdocker » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:38 am

Event: ClubCJ Victorian Great Ocean Road Cruise
Date: 25th March 2012
Time: Cancelled
Route: http://g.co/maps/3w2mj

Plan:
ImageImageImage
PM me with your email address if you want the original word document

9-10am meet at Laverton McDonald's on the freeway
10.30-11.30am meet at the Waurn Ponds Bunnings
1pm lunch in Apollo Bay

After lunch, I plan to return via Dog Rocks Road (unsealed).
The alternative to this is Skenes Creek Road, a few kms east.
It should take about the same amount of time, and we can re-group where the two roads intersect.
We can then continue on through Beech Forest, stopping again at Geelong to break up what would otherwise be an unremarkable 3 hour drive home.

This timing allows for Melbourne members to have dinner together somewhere, if anyone would like to do so.

What to bring:
- snacks; it's not a short drive
- camera
- CB radio
- a full tank
- the cruise plan
- if you normally just listen to the radio, bring along some CDs or your iPod, reception may not be so good at some points
- bathers+towel, if you want to have a quick swim at Apollo Bay
- a positive, respectful attitude

Attending:
1. dubdocker
2. tjoz
3. China +2
6. [s]deeky[/s]
7. [s]Longinus[/s]
8. [s]jason210493 +1[/s]
10. [s]ofey[/s]

Please take note of the club rules
http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?t=5913

Original post:
dubdocker wrote:Poll option 1 - Port Campbell
Option 2 - Port Campbell with Anglesea detour
Option 3 - Beech Forest
Option 4 - Lorne (please post if you would prefer this)

EOI:
1. dubdocker
2. Tim-Tech
3. deeky
4. tjoz
5. Longinus
6. Skorps
7. ofey
8. lukeaday
9. dg-RALLI
10. China
11. avolance

Hello fellow Victorians, to get some activity happening away from Melbourne, I'd like to see us do a cruise of the Great Ocean Road.
I know it's a big trip for many of you, but it's something well worth spending a whole day on.

The route I had in mind was this http://g.co/maps/2w2bg
It starts in a carpark in Anglesea, starting it in Melbourne is quite likely if people want to meet there.
There is a large detour to Colac between Lorne and Lavers Hill, to take in some of the inland routes, namely Deans Marsh-Lorne Road and Colac-Beech Forest Road.
The Twelve Apostles are in the section west of Princetown, so we shouldn't miss too much by not doing Lorne to Cape Otway.
The route ends in Warrnambool, although some may want to return to Melbourne as a group.

Please suggest any ideas you may have. I assume that this would take place on a weekend.

I've made this thread for throwing around ideas and EOIs, if this goes ahead it might be the next statewide meet? It's a bit awkward without a state moderator.
Last edited by dubdocker on Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:23 pm, edited 19 times in total.

tjoz
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby tjoz » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:33 am

Would you go down a dirt road?

The stretch from Skenes Creek-Forest is pretty good. There is only two roads from Skenes Creek but they merge about 10-15mins in. The road closer to Apollo Bay is the dirt road while the road closer to Lorne is fully surfaced. Only 1min difference between the two roads.

Much fun to be had if you take the dirt road. I took the MCA guys down it last year and they all liked it.

Also the stretch from Apollo Bay-Lavers Hill is a good return trip for later in the afternoon. If you take it too early in the day or around lunch time you get hit with all the nanny traffic
MZG1 leader

dubdocker
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby dubdocker » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:01 am

tjoz wrote:Would you go down a dirt road?
The stretch from Skenes Creek-Forest is pretty good. There is only two roads from Skenes Creek but they merge about 10-15mins in. The road closer to Apollo Bay is the dirt road while the road closer to Lorne is fully surfaced. Only 1min difference between the two roads.
Much fun to be had if you take the dirt road. I took the MCA guys down it last year and they all liked it.
Also the stretch from Apollo Bay-Lavers Hill is a good return trip for later in the afternoon. If you take it too early in the day or around lunch time you get hit with all the nanny traffic

That's another option, instead of Colac-Lavers Hill.
I was considering it, but I don't know if people would like to take their Lancers through there.

Most of the roads that go north-south to the Great Ocean Road are pretty good.

Returning via the Great Ocean Road takes an extra hour and a half

tjoz
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby tjoz » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:57 am

If stuck for time there is always the back of Anglesea in the state forest. All sand roads but if there has been a bit of rain they are like hard compact and very little fly up.

The Skenes Creek-Forest via dirt road is best though. The surfaced road still has tight turns but they are all mainly wide. the dirt road (think its called Wild Dog Rd) has everything and its conditions change throughout.

Some stretches of the GOR can get boring and breaking it up from coastal to inland gives people variety
MZG1 leader

sleeper
Alumni
Alumni

Postby sleeper » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:05 pm

the great ocean road, very nice :), takes me a long way back to my surfing days.
210 KWATW 400nm RALLIART Virtual Dyno 1/1
http://goo.gl/GrUosm

avolance
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby avolance » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:43 pm

My wife and I did a road trip down to Apollo Bay ( her family lived there at one stage ) from Warragul in West Gippsland.

It was a 2 hour drive from Warragul just to get to Geelong and that was all freeway. We then went on to Apollo Bay via the Great Ocean Road ( it was a great drive except for the road works at various points ). We then kept going along the coast but at Port Campbell we decided to turn north and head back home via Colac. We got home at 9.00 pm that night.

9 hours driving, 1 hour for lunch, approx 700 km's ( done with 1 tank of fuel ) a great day out but really exhausting. :-)

p.s. It was in a Mitsubishi 380 which we owned at the time. I haven't really done a massive drive in the Lancer yet. Looking foward to a Victorian Cruise/Meet.

dubdocker
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby dubdocker » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:42 pm

avolance wrote: p.s. It was in a Mitsubishi 380 which we owned at the time. I havent really done a massive drive in the Lancer yet. Looking foward to a Victorian Cruise/Meet.

Our Aspire's delivery run was Canberra to Geelong, with one stop for dinner IIRC

Only got through half the manual before we arrived home though!

The X
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby The X » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:20 pm

dubdocker wrote:Ive made this thread for throwing around ideas and EOIs, if this goes ahead it might be the next statewide meet? Its a bit awkward without a state moderator.

Just run with it dude. As long as it's a well organised meet and it's not skylarking and stupidity bringing our name in disrepute, all good. I've tacked it up on news for max visibility.Could you be a vic rep in waiting? :)
"the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear"
More pix @ http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?t=8779
ImageImage

dubdocker
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby dubdocker » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:53 pm

VRX_Pete wrote:Just run with it dude. As long as its a well organised meet and its not skylarking and stupidity bringing our name in disrepute, all good. Ive tacked it up on news for max visibility.Could you be a vic rep in waiting? :)

I'm sure there are others who are more suitable and deserving of being state rep/mod Pete!

Although I've seen a few members on the road in Melbourne, I haven't actually met anybody on here yet, which is why I'm keen to get something happening.

Tim-Tech
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Tim-Tech » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:13 am

i hope this goes through! havent been on a meet yet, all this talk about sand roads makes me want to get bigger mudflaps :P
(cj-grey) Awesomeness Augmented

deeky
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby deeky » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:20 pm

I'l be in for a partial cruise depending on date. Haven't been on a cruise either

tjoz
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby tjoz » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:57 pm

If this goes ahead I will come along but all depends when. Would meet up at Anglesea as I have moved since last time I went to any CCJ events.
MZG1 leader

Longinus
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Longinus » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:39 pm

Yeah need a time and date. Also a Melbourne pre-meet might be nice. It'll take me like 4 hours just to get to Anglesea!

It seems like many clubs are doing the GOR around this time, might spot some nice cars out there :P

Skorps
Alumni
Alumni

Postby Skorps » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:41 am

I'm in. Yes sounds good! A date, time and place for people to meet up from Melbourne good idea. Better travelling as a group. No one gets lost then.
2010 Ford Focus XR5 LV Mk ll

dubdocker
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby dubdocker » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:40 pm

I would put up a poll to decide what day would be most suitable, but you can only choose one option in a poll.

So, could anybody interested reply with the dates that are best for them out of these:
    [s]Sunday 19th February[/s]
    Saturday 3rd March
    Sunday 4th March
    Sunday 25th March
Last edited by dubdocker on Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Victoria”