***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

New mobile speed cameras (NSW)

Local NSW State News, Meets, Cruises, Information & Talk.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Bandit
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

New mobile speed cameras (NSW)

Postby Bandit » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:59 pm

The RTA has released the first 150 locations across NSW that the 6 new mobile speed cameras (fitted to white Ford Territories) will be used for the first few months. The location list will be expanded once 2009 crash data has been collated. Why that takes so long I am not sure....

Here's a link to the list: http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/roadsafety/do ... s_0710.pdf
ClubCJ's first Sportback

kayman
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby kayman » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:22 pm

Hey .. this might be a really silly question but I'm guessing the cars have to be stopped on the side of the road and we have to pass them for them to take our speed? or when they say Mobile do they mean they can be driving past us etc.

Also I'm guessing they use infra red so no flashes etc?

I suppose its just like how they have the cars parked now but they will be no markings?

Bandit
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Bandit » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:32 pm

Yes the camera car will be stopped and take pictures as cars go past. The flash is infra red so the cameras can also be used at night. They also take video, but I am not sure what that is used for....
ClubCJ's first Sportback

jamie885
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby jamie885 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:45 pm

For the person who gets out with a baseball bat and smashes the thing.

Im sorry im against these, not because I enjoy speeding around all day but I really don't think these will reduce any accidents at all. All thats going to happen is alot of people will loose their licences they won't renew rego etc and the RTA will loose money (which is why the previous change in point system happened)
Its all revenue, if it wasn't the vehicles wouldn't be sitting in one spot for 3hrs then moving to the next.

Setting up speed cameras would be a better idea, people know they are there as they see the signs before. They slow down go through the speed camera or the intersection and then speed again.
With the mobile cameras they will be speeding before during and after not slowing anyone down at all.

Same with the safety cameras there causing accidents, Friday night City West Link.
Commodore slammed the brakes on as he couldn't get through the intersection without getting caught speeding or running a red. Magna behind him couldn't stop in time ended up running up his arse and had an excel go up the magna's arse. This happens most fridays when I head towards balmain.

jamie885
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby jamie885 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:05 pm

Hoges wrote:Yeah its all a load of crap, they are running out of money so they will try and screw us even more

Exactly and I don't see it getting put back into the roads. Same potholes on Botany Rd are patched up then it rains they get bigger then they patch them up again.

kayman
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby kayman » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:13 pm

i also reckon these are just revenue rasing... if u really want to slow them down then why make them covert? signpost them... if the point of slowing people down why let them go past and send them a fine 2 weeks later? or if they must have the mobile cameras sign post them before or better yet as Jamie said just have a fixed camera that will stop speeding .. ofcourse thats what they are trying to do right?? not make money right??

Bandit
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Bandit » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:23 pm

What's the point of signposting cameras? NSW should be like VIC where no cameras ar signposted at all.

Certainly makes you think when driving down there.

If you aren't exceeding the speed limit, you won't get your picture taken - simple as that.

A fixed camera only stops speeding in that precise location. They are good for targetting black spots, but they don't slow people down over a wide area. Only Police and covert cameras can do that.
ClubCJ's first Sportback

Peanut
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Peanut » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:32 pm

Agreed pure money raiser for the government, if they really cared about the safty of people on the road they would put more high visibility cop cars out there and spend the money on education in schools and what not, i mean i only finished my HSC 4 years ago and there was absolutely nothing at school about road safty, if they were serious they would have taught us at school where we are so eager to get our license and get the independence, nail it home while we are young not later on when you have taugh us all your bad habits.
Look Out! in The Shire!!
The Can Crusher, Tuckin' Rubber, Pancake Flat. - CCJ Premium Member #0022

bobcrusader wrote:
Blake, you must be a member of the fun police? Do you know my wife?

jamie885
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby jamie885 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:39 pm

Bandit wrote:What's the point of signposting cameras? NSW should be like VIC where no cameras ar signposted at all.

Certainly makes you think when driving down there.

If you aren't exceeding the speed limit, you won't get your picture taken - simple as that.

A fixed camera only stops speeding in that precise location. They are good for targetting black spots, but they don't slow people down over a wide area. Only Police and covert cameras can do that.

You will never be able to slow everyone down, but at least in the black sports that these mobile cameras are supposed to be setup.

Quixand
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Quixand » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:56 pm

Totally agree with Bandit and I'm from NSW.

If you aren't exceeding the limit then there is no reason of worrying where the cameras are.

If people don't know where they are, HOPEFULLY, it will make them practice more caution but ofcourse road discipline for each individual is out of anybody's control you can only hope for the best...

I've never bothered about where the cameras are, never even thought of getting a GPS where it tells you where the cameras are. I only have to concern myself at looking for the signs which tells me what the speed limit is.

If it says 110 then I go 110 until a different sign tells me to change it...

Have had my full license for 9 years and not had a single demerit point and also I can't remember how many times I've avoided near accidents because, I fully believe, I was within the speeding limit. Just last friday night at Princess highway (60k zone) at 2am anybody could have easily gone 80 or 90... easy... people do it all the time... i would have gotten away with it too... but then I would have hit the idiotic pedestrian (or swerved madly trying to avoid) who decided to run accross road.

And personally speaking it doesn't lessen the joys of driving for me by following the speed limit.

Just my 2 cents.

bd-850
Alumni
Alumni

Postby bd-850 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:07 pm

there are 3 in this area, and i often travel all 3 roads, bugger.

and out on the open road i travel 5ks above the limit

tomtom
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby tomtom » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:31 pm

Peanut wrote:Agreed pure money raiser for the government, if they really cared about the safty of people on the road they would put more high visibility cop cars out there and spend the money on education in schools and what not, i mean i only finished my HSC 4 years ago and there was absolutely nothing at school about road safty, if they were serious they would have taught us at school where we are so eager to get our license and get the independence, nail it home while we are young not later on when you have taugh us all your bad habits.

I agree with what you're saying, but school education is only one of many areas that needs to be tackled. When i was in year 10, that was...2007 i believe, we had a road safety course thingo; half the kids just made jokes about the whole thing. And dont even get me started on the NSW Learner/p plater 120 hours crap. I know so many people that did 10-15 legit hours and faked the rest....and were still given a license o___o There is so much that needs to be fixed to teach teenagers. A practical driving course needs to be implemented into the requirements of attaing P plates...but i doubt that will ever happen :(

Peanut
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Peanut » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:18 pm

they should make a % of the hours with an instructor, cause at the end of the day those red p platers that everyone abuses for driving so bad learnt there habits from there parents.
Look Out! in The Shire!!

The Can Crusher, Tuckin' Rubber, Pancake Flat. - CCJ Premium Member #0022

bobcrusader wrote:

Blake, you must be a member of the fun police? Do you know my wife?

Return to “New South Wales”