***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

NSW EPA Vehicle Noise Offenses

Local NSW State News, Meets, Cruises, Information & Talk.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Gleno
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby Gleno » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:58 pm

very interesting Ryan thanks for posting that up :)

Bobgernut
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Bobgernut » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:10 pm

Educating post. Thanks for putting that up.

The X
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby The X » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:46 am

Interesting story on current crackdown

http://smh.drive.com.au/crackdown-on-no ... 1rx45.html
"the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear"
More pix @ http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?t=8779
ImageImage

BZC-45S
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby BZC-45S » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:53 pm

Thread digging. I'm surprised that link is still valid. Read up on that PDF, read up on the EPA testing regulations too.

For CJ Lancers, should be max noise emitted at 4kRPM, being a 4 cyl; not to exceed 90db (as it's manufacturered after 1982).

I got pulled over by highway patrol recently, subjected to the EPA test becase of my non-standard exhaust. I was tricked with the leading question "any reason why you have a non-standard exhaust?", to which I should not have commented as anything I said is an admission of agreement to the officer's statement that it was not standard. But highsight....

I have dual exhausts greater than 300mm apart, so they were tested individually. 1 side tested 84db, the other 85db. These were the max readings at the tested engine speed (which was done at approx 3.5krpm as far as I could see - I was standing beside the car as the EPA testing guy revved it). Now as far as I could tell from the regulations and specifically the test conditions it should be subjected to, I should be cleared as I am well within the 90db legal limit. This, however, is not the case. I have to now incur an expense of my time and money getting this 'defect' cleared.
FTP, FTEPA.

shadow-vex
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby shadow-vex » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:41 am

I think the police are cracking down on aftermarket exhausts, as I was talking to a bike mechanic and he said, police got told to pull over any Harley they see with aftermarket pipes and to issue tickets without any sort of testing done first. So it would seem they are targeting anything with an exhaust coz revenue raising is easy
Boost life scrambles the brain

evil.ralliart
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby evil.ralliart » Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:19 pm

Thank god they are cracking down on those crap box Harleys...dont know how many times ive been woken up with one going past my place...and im rite back off the main road....Dont no how they have got away with it for so long...and they dont even sound good!

evil.ralliart
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby evil.ralliart » Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:33 pm

BZC-45S wrote:Thread digging. Im surprised that link is still valid. Read up on that PDF, read up on the EPA testing regulations too. For CJ Lancers, should be max noise emitted at 4kRPM, being a 4 cyl; not to exceed 90db (as its manufacturered after 1982). I got pulled over by highway patrol recently, subjected to the EPA test becase of my non-standard exhaust. I was tricked with the leading question any reason why you have a non-standard exhaust?, to which I should not have commented as anything I said is an admission of agreement to the officers statement that it was not standard. But highsight.... I have dual exhausts greater than 300mm apart, so they were tested individually. 1 side tested 84db, the other 85db. These were the max readings at the tested engine speed (which was done at approx 3.5krpm as far as I could see - I was standing beside the car as the EPA testing guy revved it). Now as far as I could tell from the regulations and specifically the test conditions it should be subjected to, I should be cleared as I am well within the 90db legal limit. This, however, is not the case. I have to now incur an expense of my time and money getting this defect cleared. FTP, FTEPA.

I learnt years ago to allways say my car is all standard when questioned, they have to prove its not......Cops are trained to ask leading questions like "Were you aware you were speeding?" ....the normal answer is "No i wasnt" GOTCHA!!! Allways say "I was not speeding" and "Are you aware your equipment is wrong?" lol They walk a fine line in questions leading to entrapment. Ive never met a traffic cop that wasnt Ummm a traffic cop.

BZC-45S
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby BZC-45S » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:38 pm

Followup - yep, officially got the EPA 'defect' notice. Unlike other police issued infringements, there is no recourse, no way to contest or fight this.

I tested 85db max by the side of the road, now I have the notice saying EPA officer 'reasonably suspects' my vehicle emits excessive noise, and that 90db is the limit. No one at the EPA is willing to put their name on the notice.

I guess I'll waste my time going to a EPA certified place with every thing exactly the same and get passed.

taz
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby taz » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:47 pm

And afterwards make a formal complaint to his police chief - tested well under the limit, and still issued the defect. This is what our tax dollars pay for..

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:42 am

This has me a little worried as I just got an 09' VRX and I think it has a no standard cat-back (or axle-back). The rear muffler looks a lot smaller under the spare wheel spot and the car has a nice sound when you start the ending.

Is it easier just to drop into an expert and get them to have a look, also how can you test the DB level, I have a smart phone app :)

Still its no where near as loud as my CC which was done at a professional exhaust workshop including new cat..

Seffy
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Seffy » Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:48 am

BZC-45S wrote:Followup - yep, officially got the EPA defect notice. Unlike other police issued infringements, there is no recourse, no way to contest or fight this. I tested 85db max by the side of the road, now I have the notice saying EPA officer reasonably suspects my vehicle emits excessive noise, and that 90db is the limit. No one at the EPA is willing to put their name on the notice. I guess Ill waste my time going to a EPA certified place with every thing exactly the same and get passed.

The EPA are a pain in the ass to deal with just getting my freaking science research going.. I did not expect them to be an equal pain in the ass towards cars either until I read this. Defects cos they "reasonably suspsect".. wtf lol it's 5 dB below the 90 dB limit how is that not an indication that it's not excessively noisy?
Crayon Pop "straight-five engine" dance ftw.

shadow-vex
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby shadow-vex » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:39 am

woah, and cops wonder why they are hated

Boost life scrambles the brain

Return to “New South Wales”