Evo X - Self Tuning

Evo X Performance & Modifications.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

QUICK EVO
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Evo X - Self Tuning

Postby QUICK EVO » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:30 am

Not sure if this belongs in the tuning section or the Evo X section, my results are specific to the Evo X so here it is.

My Tactrix cable arrived in the mail last week, and I purchased a wideband O2 sensor so that I could start tuning my ride.

I would like to report my results thus far. My wideband sensor hasn't been configured properly so I have been very very careful in not changing anything too drastically. In fact, so far the only thing I have changed is the high octane fuel map.

Prior to starting to tune, I logged a lot of data by using Evoscan, enabling mode 23, blah blah a lot of detail that I won't bore you with, if you want to know, PM me.

As you all know, the Evo X runs really rich stock and one could even say excessively rich. So much so that at certain times, the engine literally chokes on its own fuel. By leaning out the AFR slightly, I have gotten immediate, tangible gains. Having a K&N panel filter also helps a lot. This gave me immediate gains as well due to the leaning out of the AFR.

Here is the stock fuel map (lower number is richer, higher number is leaner).

I changed some of the numbers slightly to this:

I drove around, testing it at idle, WOT, cruising to make sure there was no excessive knocking.

Result: The car feels completely different!!! At low RPMs, the "dead spot" is gone and it just pulls strongly all the way to redline. It just feels so much more responsive, and the car doesn't bog down in corners even in "normal" mode - cornering becomes a lot more fun.

I am just blown away by how some quick changes just changes the car so much. However, do bear in mind that the moment you play with the ECU, your warranty is voided so do so at your own risk!

This is just the beginning - once I learn more and get better results, I'll start posting it up, so watch this space.
2008 Evo X (SOLD) - Now driving 2012 Lexus ISF

megatron
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby megatron » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:57 am

good work elgin, where did you get your O2 sensor from, and when can you help me with mine :)?

QUICK EVO
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby QUICK EVO » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:49 pm

Alan, I got the Innovate LC-1 wideband sensor including gauge off Ebay for $250 delivered. Then I got my exhaust guy to drill a hole into my downpipe to install it there, a very quick job which shouldn't cost more than $60.

Once you get the parts sorted I can meet up with you and we can have a little "tune day" and see what we can produce safely on our cars. Your car has an exhaust system so you'll most definitely get more power than I will.

I've been running this tune for about a week with no issues, except for one. I am unable to launch the car anymore. It all goes well until the car takes off, then I almost immediately get the dreaded "slow down" error on the dash. I suspect this could be the torque limiter on the SST not liking the new increased power. There's an option to disable or reduce the SST torque limiter but not keen to go down that route as the SST is darn expensive to replace out of warranty. :P

ofey
Alumni
Alumni

Postby ofey » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:56 pm

Might I add a word of caution to your self tune.

perhaps you might do well to log your car's runs using the EvoScan program.

and since you have already self-tuned Evo, perhaps consider installing Tephra Mods so you have the knocking flasher.
Beeble tooned MY08 OEd. w/ RA BKit+SWheel
Cosworth Panel Filter w/ RA Intake | SuperCircuit 4-2-1 Headers | Creat’d Ti-tipped SS exhaust
BC BR-type Coilovers | UR + Whiteline Bars
EBC GreenStuff Pads | RDA Rotors

QUICK EVO
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby QUICK EVO » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:05 pm

I totally agree, anyone who is doing tuning should always be logging. I'm constantly driving with my laptop in the car with Evoscan and an alarm set for the knock sum variable.

I'm probably going to pickup the Evoscan display unit so I can constantly monitor it without using a laptop, given that it's only $317.

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Postby JaCe » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:51 pm

It's amazing how much power can be gained through just a tune on the X.

"A man who stands for nothing, falls for anything."

megatron
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby megatron » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:49 pm

is there any way of getting the A/F on the phone or screen instead of the gauge

QUICK EVO
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby QUICK EVO » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:19 pm

You can get it on a screen like the EvoScan standalone GPS unit: http://www.evoscan.com/evoscan-gps-obdi ... splay-unit

or the Greddy Informeter with sensor attachment (the more expensive option). Make sure the version number of the Informeter is > 1.7 as it can get a lot more information from the Evo X.

megatron
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby megatron » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:34 pm

can u get that to display on the MMCS instead of addition screen?

Slash
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Slash » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:23 pm

Depending on the way the data is fed to the screens..
If its just a video signal, you could feed that to the Reverse camera input..
Set the MMCS to display the reverse camera when you hold AUD (I believe).. You wouldnt want to use AUX as you will lose sound :)

QUICK EVO
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby QUICK EVO » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:35 pm

That sounds like a good idea...but how do you set the reversing camera to turn on when holding down audio?

megatron
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby megatron » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:05 pm

i already have a reversing carmera so i will have to use AUX which is fine as the only time i will be using it is when im tuning

question now is how do i go from Tactrix to RCA/AUX

Slash
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Slash » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:40 pm

AUD is on my kenwood unit ... *doh*
I think there is away to do it on the MMCS.. Will check it later.
if there isnt, wire in a switch to full the MMCS into thing the reverse gear is active. :)

Return to “Evolution X Performance”