Evo X - custom tuned at MRT based on XB kit

Evo X Performance & Modifications.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Evo X - custom tuned at MRT based on XB kit

Postby JaCe » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:37 pm

Just thought I'd upload the dyno results (note: hub dyno) from getting my car custom dyno tuned at MRT:

Feels pretty darn quick and a lot better than the other generic tune I previously had. Mods are still the same- Injen SRI + UICP and HKS catback exhaust. Really pulls so damn hard. Tuner talked to me about it and also mentioned it's actually running closer to 24psi.

"A man who stands for nothing, falls for anything."

ianmartin
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby ianmartin » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:26 am

Those results look nice Jeff. Are you going to push for some more power gains in the future, or are you happy with these results.

I think like most of us you will be happy for now, but will want more from your EVO soon lol

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Postby JaCe » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:57 am

TBH not planning on chasing any more gains since any more steps from here will require significant expenditure (e.g. bigger turbo) and challenge reliability. Probably looking to start saving up for another car or a property, or if I'll go overseas for work.

Nuliaj
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Nuliaj » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:42 pm

Pretty impressive overall for a tune.

For people wondering, for wheel power/torque numbers, reduce the numbers by a little bit. How much you reduce depends on how high or low you think this dyno reads :)
Last edited by Nuliaj on Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ianmartin
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby ianmartin » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:51 pm

I like the power line, its nice and even all the way through. No sudden spikes or surges

Nuliaj
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Nuliaj » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:03 pm

A quick question maybe someone who knows about these things can answer, shouldn't the power and torque lines cross over at the same rpm point given that the formula is power = torque x rpm (constant)?

merlin
Alumni
Alumni

Postby merlin » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:32 pm

for Ftlbs x HP, yes
for Nm x kW, no.

lamn8tr
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby lamn8tr » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:28 pm

Great results there. Have you found less turbo lag in the low rev range now or more lag??

spareparts
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby spareparts » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:21 pm

well done jeff.... how is the afr
the voices may not be real, but they have some pretty good ideas :D:D
..... If streets could talk they would Beg For Mercy!!! 151.6kw & 330nm @ all 4 paws .....

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Postby JaCe » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:08 pm

MRT have been very responsive to my questions via email so I'll copy and paste some relevant extracts:

Re: Hub dyno vs. flywheel #'s
Technically the dyno can’t measure power or torque at the flywheel (the only way to accurately do this is to remove the engine from the car, remove accessories such as air con and alternator and bolt it to an engine dyno – this is the figure manufacturers release as an engines “power output”). Our hub dyno measures the direct torque output at each wheel after it travels through engine, through gearbox, through all of the diffs and out to the hubs so there are some drivetrain losses between the factory quoted figure and actual measured figure as a result.

If you are trying to work out a reasonably close “flywheel figure” to compare against factory, look at what you’ve got now (240kw from memory) and add to that the difference between the factory quoted figure and the standard base figure (which is about 175-180kw on that car). So in other words if Mitsubishi quote 217kw as standard ouput and car on dyno has about 180kw, you’re losing about 37kw through the drivetrain in terms of friction, heat, drag, etc. If your car now has 240kw, the drivetrain losses may have increased nominally (ie a handful of kw additional loss) through some additional friction and heat but 240 + 37 gives you a new guesstimated output of just under 277kw at flywheel.

The power output value is actually a calculated figure derived from the measured torque outputs, so both power and torque presented on chart are comparable (ie they are measured and calculated the same way, so both are flywheel less drivetrain losses to give actual measured output at hubs as per above).

And when I asked if I needed to get an AFR gauge:
Not a silly question at all – but I’ll reply to your question with another question. If you had one, would you know what you were looking at and what it meant? My guess is that it would just be a random “thingy” to look at and mean very little to you in the big scheme of things. The raw numbers jump everywhere depending on what you are doing with the car and unless you know specifically what it all means and how it all interrelates with other engine parameters, it will be meaningless. J

If you want actual numbers - mixtures are around 12.0-12.2:1 at full load and high boost, a little leaner at lower load areas. They were checked and mapped on dyno, and are similar to the mixtures I run on both Brett’s track car and the other track cars we tune and look after, so you should be fine.

I really do appreciate the tuner (Ben) getting back to me with this information and I guess that's why they can offer a premium service at a premium price.

Nuliaj
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Nuliaj » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:02 am

Jeff any chance after you've driven it a bit more tell us about the changes in driveability - quick lane switch acceleration from low speed (peak hour driving), 6th gear overtaking at 80km,

I've been thinking of getting a UICP, would you be able to ask Ben if that makes much difference to the performance or if they even take it into considerationg when tuning - you'd assume there'd be slightly less delay and less spiking due to the metal not expanding, but how things work in theory and the real world often do match assumptions.

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Postby JaCe » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:24 am

Wouldn't bother asking Ben because the majority of people have said the upgraded UICP doesn't do anything (i.e. noone has actually proven it does anything) since it's only the upper intercooler pipe which is changed- the rest of the piping is still the same as before. It's really just for show- the benefits would come from the intake and exhaust. From what I can tell, the rubber one actually did a decent job of getting rid of heat because my Injen one is always really really hot- not what I'd expect (in theory at least).

As for the driveability, it has become massively easier to drive because I don't have that 'nothingness' below 3000rpm. I used to have to start putting the foot down in advance to get the car going a bit before I could overtake but now it just has a shedload of urge (presumably the torque) at a much lower rpm. I'm so happy with this tune compared to the last flash tune I had as it doesn't have weird spikes, surges, etc... no funny noises, and the acceleration just goes. It also feels like it pulls harder (beats me why) but I presume it's because they tuned it to my specific parts.

Nuliaj
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Nuliaj » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:40 am

Yeah that's what I was hoping it would fix. I remember the first time I test drove an X, pulling out of the parking lot onto the main road in normal mode I nearly crapped my pants due to how slowly it was accelerating and the speed other cars were approaching from behind.

I know very few people replace the LICP in the US, but alot of guys there change the UICP almost like a mandatory mod. It's kinda the reverse situation with the previous Evos due to the reversed engine layout. But it's interesting that you say that it's not worth getting. There's a guy in the US who sells black painted or coated UICP for $100 which is very tempting. So you felt absolutely no change when you installed you UICP?

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Postby JaCe » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:48 am

I installed it simultaneously with the intake (since it came as a kit) so it's difficult to attribute the improved response.

What you said about normal mode is true- in factory guise, normal is very well.. normal. S-Sport is a lot better, but with the tune, S-Sport has enough urge to break the rear wheel traction when cornering and accelerating from a traffic light at WOT.

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Postby JaCe » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:41 pm

It's been a couple of weeks and I've done a LOT of mixed driving both in the city and a good work trip out to Port Macquarie (woo for mileage reimbursement!). The tune feels so natural and 'fits' the car so well it's amazing- a lot of the previous issues (e.g. throttle delay/turbo lag) are totally gone and there's a great linear acceleration to the car which just pulls and pulls and pulls. At first I found it 'too fast' (similar to when I first bought the Evo) but after a few drives you get settled in and end up just pressing your foot down less and saving it for when you need it.

Loving the work done by Brett and his team. I'd recommend to anyone looking for a custom dyno tune and willing to pay a bit more.

IMO the whole EcuTek vs. OpenECU debate is so pointless if you're not a tuner and all you want is an end result... and this is one end result you'll be happy with.

Feel free to shoot any Q's here or PM me. Happy to give feedback on my positive experience with MRT and when I was there I saw a CJ Ralliart being tuned as well.

Return to “Evolution X Performance”