***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Evo X - custom tuned at MRT based on XB kit

Evo X Performance & Modifications.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Nuliaj
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Nuliaj » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:56 pm

If you ever get a chance (and if you haven't already) Jeff see if you can sneak a test drive in a Bathurst edition and let the forum know what you think of the differences. For around the same price you can either buy a Bathurst edition (this will add more luxury car tax onto the price of the vehicle I believe) or get an XB kit from MRT. I know I was seriously torn between the two before I ended up choosing one. I test drove a Bathurst but I have yet to be able to compare with the MRT kit.

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Postby JaCe » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:44 pm

I've heard reasonably good things about the Bathurst Edition but that being said it concerns me that TMR offers both the 240 and 270 tunes, and the Bathurst Edition being the lower-grade 240 tune. I know that they have to provide warranty through MMAL and so forth, but it almost feels as if they purposely hobbled their efforts for the purposes of encouraging people to upgrade to the 270kW tune later on. That being said the 270 tune is meant to be epic!

As for why I chose the XB tune over the Bathurst Edition or TMR- it was more to do with what was available and what I had already spent money on. There was no Bathurst edition at the time I bought my Evo otherwise I would've gone for that as it offers peace of mind with the MMAL warranty. And the reason I went with XB custom tune is because I had already purchased and installed the Injen SRI and the HKS catback exhaust, and I wanted custom tuning done. TMR don't offer custom dyno tuning in Sydney AFAIK.

"A man who stands for nothing, falls for anything."

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:53 pm

JaCe wrote: the reason I went with XB custom tune is because I had already purchased and installed the Injen SRI and the HKS catback exhaust, and I wanted custom tuning done. TMR don't offer custom dyno tuning in Sydney AFAIK.

I always thought the tunes offered by MRT were generic flash tune and not a custom tune? Custom tune is different for every car. They are done on a dyno or virtual dyno using ECU flash with maps altered to suit your car and the weather conditions.

Do you have a dyno print out of your cars tune?

LZY_EYE
Genius
Genius

Postby LZY_EYE » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:58 pm

MRT developed the tunes themselves.

They would have a worked tune that they start with, and then tweak that to suit the car.

They definitely do custom tunes.

Nuliaj
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Nuliaj » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:13 pm

aspir3 wrote:I always thought the tunes offered by MRT were generic flash tune and not a custom tune? Custom tune is different for every car. They are done on a dyno or virtual dyno using ECU flash with maps altered to suit your car and the weather conditions.

Do you have a dyno print out of your cars tune?

Look at the first post :P

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:18 pm

Why dont they give you a copy of the AFR's?

Nuliaj
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Nuliaj » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:29 pm

I'd guess most people don't know how to read AFRs and that they're usually more interested in power curves.

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:32 pm

Nuliaj wrote:I'd guess most people don't know how to read AFRs and that they're usually more interested in power curves.

They are very easy to read and give a good indication whether time was spent to get it right.

Nuliaj
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Nuliaj » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:40 pm

Sure while it's easy to see what number it is, it doesn't really tell you much in terms of how a car is tuned. Tuning a car and running it lean isn't the hard bit especially since you don't see other factors such a engine temperature, knock retardation, injector load etc etc. Also different engines can run at different levels of AFR, for example DI cars can run much leaner due to the way the fuel mixture is better. So unless someone looks at a lot of dyno charts for similar cars, the numbers are quite pointless. The point I was making is that MOST people who go for a XB type kit (exhaust, intake and tune) aren't the hardcore guys who need to know that kind of info. XC and XD kit guys maybe.

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Postby JaCe » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:44 pm

Ben (the tuner) was very helpful when I asked him about AFRs and what kind of AFRs I was getting... happy to dig out the email again if anyone wants to read the details.

I think MRT have done well to identify their target market- people who are not hardcore, but want a bit more get up and go without going too overboard. Not interested in big numbers or whatever, and just want to be able to drive it like a stock car.

Anyway as noted above it was a full custom tune. That being said, typically if you buy an XA or XB kit it's an off the shelf tune which they've developed internally without custom dyno time. That's an extra.

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Postby JaCe » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:09 pm

Sean (spareparts) drove my car today and hopefully he can provide his thoughts on before and after the tune.

Return to “Evolution X Performance”