***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Evo X to be the last?

Evo X Performance & Modifications.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Dire
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Dire » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:44 am

Paul you can't make an infinitely running car. Its not possible (energy loss from friction while moving, and while braking, air resistance etc, it all takes energy out of the system). There are ways to move without fuel (wind power comes to mind) but thats not very effective on a car :P

I don't think theres much global market for electric cars even if they do become the new 'in-thing'. The only places that would have use for them are compact places likes britain, japan, and built up cities (NY for eg).

Personally I think the human race is doomed unless we lose private transport altogether. Until then, you can make as many green decisions as you want, but it wont be enough.

Diesel, battery, hydrogen, it doesn't matter, its not enough. Unless we change EVERYTHING, not just our car's power source, we're just running ourselves into the ground....

Also I think we're all aware this thread is just opinions and I hope nobody takes themselves too seriously :)

ClubspecCustomDesigns
Club Sponsor
Club Sponsor

Postby ClubspecCustomDesigns » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:31 am

Hey Guys,

there has been rumors about this being the last EVO however this is not rock solid. I have asked MMAL regarding this and have have assured me that the EVO is not going anywhere.
Remember mid last year when Ralliart Japan went bust, the whole world thought there was going to be no RA Lancer or EVO anymore. Mitsubishi then took over the Ralliart division.There is a market for these cars so lets all think positive. :-)
I will update you guys if there is anymore news on this.
Looking for that ultimate ride??
ClubSpec Custom Designs
www.facebook.com/ClubspecCustomDesigns

mr_evo
Alumni
Alumni

Postby mr_evo » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:31 pm

I won't believe anything, even if the CEO of mitsubishi say's he wont be making any more Evo's... They will always make what the people want. otherwise, whats the point?
:D I'm back baby! :D
Enkei - HKS - Turbosmart - Cosworth- TMW - Defi - DeatschWerks

Nuliaj
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Nuliaj » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:24 am

lancerRA wrote:all car companys have there halo car well all big car company they will never get rid of the evo like the other company get rid of there best car they build the halo car to prove that there got a performance car that is awsome like ford got f6 holden gts toyota has trd aurion mitz got evo little company like hyandai dont bother but well when more established

You're kidding about Hyundai right? They make the Genesis V6/2.0T Coupe as well as the new Genesis 5.0l V8 with 429hp (320kw). Those are much more impressive cars than the Aurion TRD which btw is no longer being made and didn't even last 2 years. You can't even classify the Aurion as a Halo car. Halo cars aren't just the most powerful car in the lineup, they're cars which make people want to buy the manufacturers lesser cars purely through association. In fact two of the big Japanese car makers - Toyota and Honda don't even have what you'd consider true halo cars.

Dire
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Dire » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:13 am

lancerRA wrote:little company like hyandai

Wut. :lol:

Honda will have another flagship soon, wait and see. They just don't ALWAYS have one... Well maybe not a flagship, but another sports car.
NSX was never really a flagship (in terms of people knowing it exists) but I bet they remake it one day, it was so loved...

Toyota made their mark a long time ago being cheap reliable cars for the masses (and made fans by being so simple they could be brilliant). Much like hyundai is doing now, although hyundai make whatever they think people will buy off them full stop.

I am actually dissapointed by mitsu's green direction... They have the potential to make sports cars for the every day person (imagine a lightweight, simple, cheapish flat car with styling like the lancer. An eclipse without all the babyfat perhaps). They could be the new skyline/silvia like all the hoons in perth have. Also thats just a niche market I guess, as is the evo.

Although again, we're just a small part of the world, and I have a feeling america and the U.K have a lower viewpoint of anything made by mitsu... So, they're trying to get back in the game by being a world leader in green stuff... I'm not saying it will or wont work, I just want SOMEONE to release a car I actually think is brilliant, AND could own without dedicating my life to saving for it/fixing it every week.

Nuliaj
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Nuliaj » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:31 am

Sounds like you may want something like the incoming Toyota FT-86?

Itachi
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby Itachi » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:55 am

The new Toyota does look very good, and depending on price might be a winner. :D

Jake I think Paul meant that by self charging an electric car could last a lot longer (like maybe 700km or so as current cars can), not forever.

Electric cars could actually be very good. They put down a lot of power from the start (so much so that a solar power car in France had to have 6 wheels!)

To me this whole thing is a no brainer. Solar power. I read somewhere that a single decent sized solar power station in the middle of Australia could produce enough electricity to meet the current consumption of the entire world.

Now I know there are some problems with this idea, largely to do with storage and transportation of energy, but that should be a top priority IMO.

In terms of electric cars as we see them today, they will not work in the real world. For starters, you need to plug them in, and that power still comes from non renewable sources. Second, they have no range (as mentioned above).

Now this seems to mean that they will never work, which is crap because what it really means is that we need to make them work.

For instance, instead of having a petrol station, why not have a recharge station with a solar panel on the roof constantly keeping a store of charged batteries. Then all you need to do is have a "swap n go" system like we currently have with gas bottles and all of a sudden the range isnt a big deal. As time goes by they will improve that anyway, maybe they will start putting a thin, lightweight solar panel on the roof of cars to help charge the battery as it drives or sits in the car park?

In any case, all the new ideas wont work atm because what we need is a change in our lifestyle (and the massive infrastructure costs associated with that). We need to invest the same amount into the new technology as we did into petrol.

Therein lies the problem. Things like solar power, aren't going to make money the same way oil does. So who is going to invest all this money to make the system work? The govt? Taxes will go through the roof. Private enterprise? With no chance at being profitable? :lol: when hell freezes over maybe...

Also there is the problem that everyone has different ideas as to what is going to be the best method to save the world. If they just focussed on 1 we might get somewhere!

Ok, that's enough ranting for now :)

Thanks for reading! :P
Like my car? Follow my fitness blog!

http://www.littleguylifting.com/

nixonx
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby nixonx » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:28 pm

UPDATE: Mitsubishi has posted an update on its Facebook page.

Following Eusegi's comments at Geneva and speculation across the media as to the Evolution's future, Mitsubishi posted this update today:

"Further to some comments published in the press recently, production of the current Lancer Evolution continues as planned. As for its successor, regulations and market feedback will dictate its engineering package & architecture. Stay tuned.

"MMC has kept the Lancer Evolution sedan evolving as the brand's highest performing model in the global market.

"However, as the market's needs and demands change, MMC is considering not advancing the Lancer Evolution concept in the same way as before, but to find a different direction for the Lancer Evolution model to evolve. The new direction, the technologies involved, and corresponding products will be disclosed in due course."

It seems there is hope for the Evolution name, but not so much for its turbocharged four-cylinder petrol powertrain.

SOURCE:
http://www.themotorreport.com.au/51487/ ... ine-report

jerryme
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby jerryme » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:32 pm

All good things must come to an end. But a start to something new
http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com.au/com ... concept-ra

darren1011
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby darren1011 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:33 pm

squala
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby squala » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:43 am

I think it's the price that's affecting the Evo X. You pay a lot and get an interior pretty much the same as the standard ES. No reach adjustment is simply unacceptable as well. You can also buy the likes of Golf R and 135i for similar money. Though marginally slower, those cars are better engineered and much nicer on a day-to-day basis. While I'd still pick the Evo, many other buyers would be hard to convince to go for the same car.
///// /////
7 airbags
6-speed SST
5-star safety
4-wheel drive
3-diamond badge
2 overhead cams
1 awesome ride
0 demerit points and gutter rash

chris
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby chris » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:36 am

I would not say they were better engineered from the mechanical point of view, but more luxurious interior, quieter, softer ride maybe, you have to remember the evo. is an off the shelf race car but as you say those other cars you mention appeal to a greater market as a DD

SAM-24A
Alumni
Alumni

Postby SAM-24A » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:13 pm

Could this be the next EVO XI

New Mitsubishi Hybrid EVO XI

ijustatecurry
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby ijustatecurry » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:22 pm

It would be a sad day to see the evo go. Although it's not quite as "raw" as it used to be, it is still a hugely characterful car for mitsubishi. I truly hope it hangs around for years to come :)

That said - if Mitsu decide it's time to go, I hope they at least consider bringing back the fto in a similar fashion to the FT-86. Light, cheap and reasonably quick. AND/OR - bring back the GTO/3000GT as a true flagship Twin turbo monstrosity :)
All bleeding stops eventually!

Return to “Evolution X Performance”