Some Impressive Results from Tuning EVO X

Evo X Performance & Modifications.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Mitsiman
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Some Impressive Results from Tuning EVO X

Postby Mitsiman » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:56 pm

We just finished tuning another EVO X on Saturday, and what was most impressive about it, other than the 309hp at the wheels from an SST Model, was the ultra flat boost curve and the fact that we had to drop boost after 6000 rpm to stop maxing out the injectors.

The combination of a hard pipe kit, 1.5 Bar Actuator and STOCK boost solenoids / boost pill just worked so well. The hard pipe kit included also a BOV Replacement kit as well meaning replacing all the hosing for the BOV Valve with a hard pipe kit. I was just amazed at how much better the boost was to work with.

Here is the link for those interested. Gotta say I really really love tuning the EVO X models, they are so damn easy to make power out of them.

http://www.rpw.com.au/shop/index.php?op ... &Itemid=40

I thought this was something that you EVO X owners would like to hear about as shows you what can be achieved with these cars.
For urgent replies to PM's contact via phone

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Postby JaCe » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:07 pm

damnn i just can't wait until the day i get my X tuned.

"A man who stands for nothing, falls for anything."

McCoy
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby McCoy » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:13 am

So, you took an Evo X SS-T from a dyno that reads 170kW approx to 230kW at the wheels with a 3" TBE, 1.5 bar actuator, hard pipe kit and BOV.

Have you tried just a 3" TBE and 3 port. You'll net the same gains with less changes under the bonnet. Just a thought.
Dyno's

An invaluable tuning tool when used correctly
An invaluable sales tool when used incorrectly

Mitsiman
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Mitsiman » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:42 am

Yes we have done plenty of EVO x's with various mods some, with other brand exhausts, some with cat backs only and some with boost pills, others with 3 port solenoids.

They are all within 15 - 20hp of each other but the main difference was with the package of hard pipe kit and full exhaust, the car was definitly better on the boost curve, the fuel pump definitly gave us more room on the injector duty cycle by around 10% for the existing boost levels.

The full exhaust with the hard pipe kit also allowed us to make slightly more horsepower, with a flatter boost curve and less boost.

And at the end of the day we all know a flatter boost curve equates into a smoother power and torque curve which is what you notice on the road how smooth these cars are, which is something they definitly are not from factory.

My focus is not just on horsepower, but on driveabiltiy as well.

McCoy
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby McCoy » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:49 am

Sure, but the boost curve is up to tuning and the parts fited. Run a grimspeed 3 port compared to the prodrive unit and you'll see the boost come on quicker by comparison, however the pro drive unit seems to be better in stabilization. Depends what you want, me I prefer better stabilization as then the timing isnt 'chasing' boost.

I guess what I'm saying is with a 3 port and a 3" exhaust you could do exactly the same thing, i.e. a super flat boost curve but without a hard pipe kit or injectors.

As for injectors, maybe it's just me but I haven't been close to 100% for a duty cycle with a standard turbo. I reckon you might want to research that a little further.

To give you an example one of our cars that ran in Targa High Country on the weekend was extensively logged. Plus width and RPM anywhere in the rev range equated to around the 90% IDC mark. Plenty-o-room given that you can run your IDC up to 110% before it starts to lean out. Numbers below is with an AFR around the mid to high 11 mark.

PW: 15.432
RPM: 6875
KP/H: 203.648

Approx = 88% IDC

That's running during a Tarmac Rally Stage, so it's working hard.

If you want some help with your fueling let me know. ;)
Dyno's

Mitsiman
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Mitsiman » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:29 pm

My rule of thumb when tuning is I won't tune a car over 90% injector cycle if at all possible (Give or take 1 - 2%). I havn't had an engine blow on me yet that I have tuned and would prefer to keep it that way.

I could as you say, probably push the envelope and tune cars at a higher IDC rate, but then its me risking my customers engines and the potential cost in both damages and reputation is not worth it.

I wasn't aware you could go as high as 110% which does give me a little more comfort, but I still think that saftey for my customers are my number 1 priority.

Grimmspeed are the 3 ports I use as well - great units for sure. And your 100% right a stable boost curve is definitly the goal as nothing worse than chasing varying load values all over the place.

Cheers for the information though - certainly good to know that I am well and truly staying within the envelope of saftey for the cars.

McCoy
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby McCoy » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:09 pm

np. ;)
Dyno's

mr_evo
Alumni
Alumni

Postby mr_evo » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:30 pm

I highly doubt you would need to change any piping in the engine on the x unless you want 'HIGH' boost and more than 250awkw.... Seems a waste of $$$$ to me... As Dan would probably agree?
:D I'm back baby! :D
Enkei - HKS - Turbosmart - Cosworth- TMW - Defi - DeatschWerks

Red EVOX
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Red EVOX » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:36 am

mr_evo wrote:I highly doubt you would need to change any piping in the engine on the x unless you want 'HIGH' boost and more than 250awkw.... Seems a waste of $$$$ to me... As Dan would probably agree?

Im still running stock "piping" (but with a larger perrin intercooler) and im running high boost (probably pushing the stock turbo a bit too hard but oh well) and pushing out over 250awkw.

Mitsiman
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Mitsiman » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:26 am

Its not so much about running high horsepower, what we found was that the combination of wastegate, hard pipe kit and tuning we were able to get the boost curve we wanted, smoother without mucking around as much. But on the road the vehicle was noticeable smoother to drive and you didn't end up with a surge as the boost "Peaked" and then smoothed out.

You can get higher boost levels by going to a very small boost pill for sure, that is no problem but you then need to spend a lot of time playing with the boost settings to avoid spiking and get the smooth boost curve you want.

I guess its more of a case, there are various ways you can acheive what you want with the vehicle boost wise, this is just one other method we have found and is what I beleive has produced the quickest and best results so far for a very controlled boost curve that we have found.

I let people know about what we have found so that people can see and talk about all the options. At the end of the day, as always, choose your tuner and talk to them.

Speedie
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Speedie » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:01 pm

The USA reported injectors running lean due to the fuel pump relay failing. Just something to keep an eye on.

[Evo X Brembos] [Evo X Intercooler] [Evo X UICP]

McCoy
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby McCoy » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:19 pm

I guess I was trying to say that you can accomplish both good power and a steady boost curve without changing the piping.

The graph below is showing an Evo X 5 speed manual tuned with and without a 3 port boost solenoid. The blue line is with, the red line is without. I'd suggest that the blue line is super steady and given the power level of this particular Evo X (it does have an aftermarket turbo strapped being an FP Green) it's a pretty good thing.

Now, I'm not saying you'll gain more power with a 3 port, what I'm saying is it helps in steadying the boost curve and 'holding' on to it for a lot longer. I have another car that is our Dev car and it has the Ralliart Hard pipes, for me If I was chasing a smooth boost curve, having looked at a few different options, I know which path I'd be going down.

mr_evo
Alumni
Alumni

Postby mr_evo » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:30 pm

What other mods does that car ^^ have?

Besides the FP Green..
:D I'm back baby! :D
Enkei - HKS - Turbosmart - Cosworth- TMW - Defi - DeatschWerks

McCoy
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby McCoy » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:39 pm

TMR 3" Exhaust and Dump
3 Port
Green
Injectors

Jase, as you know I don't often post graphs as it's always a recipe for disaster as everyone is always an expert (hehe I'll probably regret this) but I'll tell you this.

Just as much as the parts list and spec being important, the time spent tuning on the Dyno is equally important.

If you look closely you'll see the car has had over 90 runs on the Dyno, that's some serious Dyno time if you think how long it takes just to do a few runs.
Dyno's

Mitsiman
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Mitsiman » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:51 pm

Thats some nice results and the FP Green turbo definitly looks like it works nicely compared to the factory turbo.

I think we can all certainly agree, there are lots of options out there for EVO X owners at this time.

As long as we can all keep talking about it without anyone getting personal (Which i think for the majority of us do) its great to get the different opinions and to try different things to all acheive the same result, improving what Mitsubishi just plain didn't do, a good tune on the car.

Return to “Evolution X Performance”